Kallum to NRL

6 minutes ago, Abicus said:

https://twitter.com/AaronBower/status/1139641545093734400

Worst club he could sign for really

Probably but it may suit him with less pressure.

In fairness, he wouldn’t have expected to leave Leeds and so wouldn’t have lined anything up, and his options would have been restricted with most clubs at their salary cap limit.

I do wonder if him going now frees up cap space for James Maloney to come over to Leeds early 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, UniSamX said:

They're the anti-Raiders. none of their English signings ever seem to work out

We had one a few years ago who made the match day list as 18th man quite a few times but never actually played first grade. He eventually went back to SL. His name escapes me at the moment...

4 hours ago, Copa said:

We had one a few years ago who made the match day list as 18th man quite a few times but never actually played first grade. He eventually went back to SL. His name escapes me at the moment...

Jordan Thompson was it? Black dude, played a bit of 6 for Mounties but generally a centre/small second row?

9 minutes ago, UniSamX said:

Jordan Thompson was it? Black dude, played a bit of 6 for Mounties but generally a centre/small second row?

Jordan Turner?

Titans is a good choice. Low expectations, nice climate and if it doesn't work out he'll get a chance to get fully recovered and run around in QCup - might get a trip to PNG, Barrier Reef and other nice spots and he can play himself back into form. A change is as good as a holiday.

featureGoldCoast-660x400-864x588.jpg

Can't wait to see how he goes in the NRL. Whatever the motive for Leeds, watching him last night wasted in the back row, I was thinking that he really needed to be playing centre for a team that looked to play to his strengths.

He may do ok for the latter half of this year but with a good long close season training and fewer games in the NRL season I think he could be a stand out for the next two years.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

7 hours ago, Copa said:

A. bit like comparing a Ferrari with a Lada.

At least at Gold Coast he can have Tyrone Roberts as his mentor on how to really embrace life overseas ?

I was secretly hoping Watkins would end up at Warrington to replace Atkins and try rekindle his undoubted class.   If it doesn’t work out in the NRL might still be an option for the future... there aren’t many decent centres about, and he’s still young enough.

8 minutes ago, DavidM said:

They signed the Sargemeister right ? Just saying …

u don't get any time to prove yourself in the nrl and I think one thing Watkins is gonna need is time

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

He’s having real trouble now up against SL centres defensively and in making the same attacking contribution , so up against NRL centres it’s gonna be a huge challenge . Must say I’m surprised by this ... but not surprised it’s with the Titans 

11 minutes ago, DavidM said:

He’s having real trouble now up against SL centres defensively and in making the same attacking contribution , so up against NRL centres it’s gonna be a huge challenge . Must say I’m surprised by this ... but not surprised it’s with the Titans 

thought he'd been playing 2nd row... hasn't played centre for quite a few games.

He was brought back from his major injury and over used too much too soon. Needed to be nursed back into the games.

With a good pre-season he will be back to being a good centre, although having lost some speed.

6 hours ago, Farmduck said:

Jordan Turner?

Titans is a good choice. Low expectations, nice climate and if it doesn't work out he'll get a chance to get fully recovered and run around in QCup - might get a trip to PNG, Barrier Reef and other nice spots and he can play himself back into form. A change is as good as a holiday.

featureGoldCoast-660x400-864x588.jpg

I didn't know blackpool tower had had a makeover, when did this happen?

21 hours ago, Dunbar said:

In November, Mal Meninga joined the Gold Coast as Head of Performance and Culture.

If Watinks does go there then at least he has the current Kangaroo coach and the best centre I ever saw play the game to support and develop him.

to be fair I think even a young mal meninga would struggle in the current nrl, yes he set a standard when the game needed a massive shake up and deserves the legend status but its a case of the monster turning on the maker, there are big mals everywhere these days where once there were only david heselwoods ( no offence, a very good player) 

21 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

to be fair I think even a young mal meninga would struggle in the current nrl, yes he set a standard when the game needed a massive shake up and deserves the legend status but its a case of the monster turning on the maker, there are big mals everywhere these days where once there were only david heselwoods ( no offence, a very good player) 

Spot on as an example Inglis is 6” taller and over a stone heavier than Meninga. 

8 minutes ago, bobbruce said:

Spot on as an example Inglis is 6” taller and over a stone heavier than Meninga. 

how many tackles did big mal have to make on the 82 invincibles tour? how many chase backs? how many high balls?  like I said he deserves his status but those were very different times

55 minutes ago, graveyard johnny said:

I agree with your point on player size (I have made it myself) but doesnt really have a bearing on my post on Meninga being there being useful for Watkins.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

Archived