Swinton considering Manchester rebrand

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“We’ve got to target that Manchester audience heavily now but I want to emphasise that there are no plans in place to come away from being Swinton, but at the same time we are exploring opportunities to find something new and exciting.”

On  Backchat a few weeks ago he said pretty much the same thing. Shame common cause couldn't be found with them and the Manchester Rangers. Especially as I heard they were trying to get the Salford's council to build them and an amateur club a pitch - the arena at the etihad would far surpass that.

Yeah, he's a bit conflicted ?

I get the sense that he really wants to completely rebrand and repackage the club, including changing the name - but he can't quite bring himself to alienate the existing fanbase (such as it is)

Weren't the money people behind Manchester Rangers encouraged to explore 'taking over' Swinton or Oldham, and didn't really get anywhere? What's changed since?

8 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Manchester is a hard core football stronghold which isn't looking for an alternative sport.

Toronto is a hard core hockey/soccer/CFL/baseball/lacrosse stronghold which isn't looking for an alternative sport. 

12 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Manchester is a hard core football stronghold which isn't looking for an alternative sport.

I don’t the aspiration would be to replace or equal football in the city. I’m sure there are a few people who’d watch both sports. 

29 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Because Leeds doesn't have sucessful clubs in both. Speak to a lot of people in york and rugby league wouldn't work in that city but attendances are growing. 

Manchester is one of the largest cities in the UK. rugby league could work, with good attendance, as long as it was in the right location.

26 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

Toronto is a hard core hockey/soccer/CFL/baseball/lacrosse stronghold which isn't looking for an alternative sport. 

You missed out basketball, they’re currently in the final against Golden State! 

I hate this notion that a town or city can’t have multiple successful sports clubs. A market as big as Manchester can easily accommodate a successful club. It’s just a shame there isn’t an obvious location like the Wolfpack have at Lamport to attract the 20-30’s demographic.

Theres a hell of a lot of football fans who don’t spend any money on sport during the summer months, attracting even 1% of them would bring in a lot of revenue. 

I’d also love to see Salford move in with the football club and fill the ground!

35 minutes ago, EssexRL said:

I don’t the aspiration would be to replace or equal football in the city. I’m sure there are a few people who’d watch both sports. 

Well they don't want to watch Swinton or Salford and the idea that changing names to Manchester will change that is fantasy.

47 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

The Manchester name alone won't encourage new fans, they need a huge budget for marketing, personally don't believe it will help

37 minutes ago, DimmestStar said:

Well they don't want to watch Swinton or Salford and the idea that changing names to Manchester will change that is fantasy.

To be fair I think you are both right. The truth of the matter - as Toronto shows - is you do need to throw money at the sport to raise awareness and generate interest. This is one of the reasons we’ve not been able to grow Skolars’ fan base in North East London. 

It may gather some strength if the quotes from 15 mins in on the BBC Podcast come to fruition.

Looking at expansion from another - television camera - angle.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07c41zj

The angle being overseas.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

They put Manchester on their badge last season or was it the season before and I'd wager it made no difference other than ###### off existing fans, its a weak and disingenuous attempt to garner quick support. Swintons problems are far greater than a name, they epitomise those of RL in general as do a lot of clubs who have fallen by the wayside over the years, namely lost generations, I apply that to a lot of SL clubs too. RL as a whole is playing catch up and there is a lot of straw grabbing, they should be looking at the likes of York for inspiration.

2 hours ago, paulwalker71 said:

Yeah, he's a bit conflicted ?

I get the sense that he really wants to completely rebrand and repackage the club, including changing the name - but he can't quite bring himself to alienate the existing fanbase (such as it is)

Weren't the money people behind Manchester Rangers encouraged to explore 'taking over' Swinton or Oldham, and didn't really get anywhere? What's changed since?

Nothing he is testing the water.

In two years League One dies its highly likely you will see the three lower tier manchester clubs try to move into Manchester.

With the Spice Girls at the Etihad Recently, dont be surprised to see 2 becomes 1.

2 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Perhaps Swinton could join forces with a few of the local amateur clubs and call themselves "Manchester United".

I think it has a kind of catchy name that could prove popular.

With Halloween coming up I decided to go to my local fancy dress shop to see if I could get a Dracula costume. After a few minutes the assistant handed me a Hull KR shirt asking "Is this suitable?", I replied "I think you may have misheard me, I said I wanted to look like a count."

2 hours ago, Jblake said:

They put Manchester on their badge last season or was it the season before and I'd wager it made no difference other than ###### off existing fans, its a weak and disingenuous attempt to garner quick support. Swintons problems are far greater than a name, they epitomise those of RL in general as do a lot of clubs who have fallen by the wayside over the years, namely lost generations, I apply that to a lot of SL clubs too. RL as a whole is playing catch up and there is a lot of straw grabbing, they should be looking at the likes of York for inspiration.

Do you really think that's why they did it?

I can only imagine it was a testing-the-waters type exercise. Swinton as a club will never progress in their current guise as they bounce from place to place and none of them are in Swinton; on top of that, Swinton is a tiny place shadowed by the bigger Manchester conurbations (let alone Manchester itself).

It's time some of these smaller village teams either evolve with the pro game to chase success or become a good amateur team.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

14 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Do you really think that's why they did it?

I can only imagine it was a testing-the-waters type exercise. Swinton as a club will never progress in their current guise as they bounce from place to place and none of them are in Swinton; on top of that, Swinton is a tiny place shadowed by the bigger Manchester conurbations (let alone Manchester itself).

It's time some of these smaller village teams either evolve with the pro game to chase success or become a good amateur team.

Sad for some, but it's true and just a fact of life. The likes of Swinton, Oldham and Rochdale with their declining and fanbase which is predominantly of a certain age are unlikely to be sustainable as professional entities long term, particularly after 2021. I think it would be in their interests to merge at the top level and have amateur clubs in these districts feeding in.

I know that won't go down with some, but sport is a business whether people like it or not and the clubs have to evolve or cease to exist, as unpalatable as that maybe.

Unless they get a new home - a decent one - in m27 then they should become Manchester Lions, play out of the academy stadium and run reserve team as Swinton...just a thought and better than the current slow death 

19 minutes ago, Pie tries said:

Unless they get a new home - a decent one - in m27 then they should become Manchester Lions, play out of the academy stadium and run reserve team as Swinton...just a thought and better than the current slow death 

And with the attached history, they might even be easier to market.

I believe Manchester Rangers tried to play off the Broughton Rangers link?

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Does anybody know what the regular supporting attendance at home games there is for 'Swinton?'

I do believe unless Swinton make a big switch to being 'Manchester' they will always be what they are now, wrongly or rightly. If they play it clever, they can maintain their heritage, but have a brand new dawn as Manchester. 

I agree somewhat, Manchester will always be a football mad city - but there is room for a decent club in RL and support base.

Not sure on Rochdale, Oldham etc....they are by very definition Greater Manchester with their own definition of region. Swinton are part of Salford (correct me if im wrong) so strongly need their own identity to grow on.

7 hours ago, DimmestStar said:

Oh and Liverpool and Newcastle, where we have had Magic is a strong base? ha ha ha HAAAAA!

I still disagree, we should be in Swinton

1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

And with the attached history, they might even be easier to market.

I believe Manchester Rangers tried to play off the Broughton Rangers link?

Belle Vue Rangers were the next club to fain in Manchester, after Manchester United kicked Broughton out of the 40,000 capacity The Cliff

Archived