Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Wellsy4HullFC

Swinton considering Manchester rebrand

Recommended Posts

How far is Swinton from Manchester?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kayakman said:

How far is Swinton from Manchester?

It's 8 miles (20 minutes) from Station Road, Swinton to Manchester Regional Arena Etihad Campus, Manchester.

By comparison, it's:

6.5 miles to High Lane, Bury (the out of town stadium where they moved for about 6 years after selling Station Road), 

3 miles to Moor Lane, Salford (within the same Metro District where they played for a couple of years after),

4 miles to Park Lane, Whitefield, Bury (back in Bury for another 6 years),

4.5 miles to The Willows, Salford (back in Salford for a year),

11 miles to Heywood Road, Sale, Trafford (where the club have played since 2016).

 

The ground move isn't really the issue it seems (they've bounced around similar distances for nearly a quarter century), so it's not exactly alienating their support base anymore than they have been. The name change is the crux of it it appears.

 

 

  • Like 1

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If  the Lions don't do something, they will inevitable fade and die.

  • Like 1

Four legs good - two legs bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect the name Swinton will be getting far more publicity,today,and for more days to come,than Manchester ever will,in Toronto,and beyond,after the news breaking today.

No need to think about a name change,now.


     Born - didn't ask. Dying - didn't argue                                 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

I suspect the name Swinton will be getting far more publicity,today,and for more days to come,than Manchester ever will,in Toronto,and beyond,after the news breaking today.

No need to think about a name change,now.

I don't really think relying on wealthy owners of other clubs to make flippant racially insensitive jokes is a good marketing strategy!

  • Haha 4

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

I don't really think relying on wealthy owners of other clubs to make flippant racially insensitive jokes is a good marketing strategy!

  Absolutely.But it has cost nothing and as the television deal is coming from Toronto,putatively,and they wanted the names of the cities that are known outside of the UK,it may now be that Swinton become well known outside of the UK.


     Born - didn't ask. Dying - didn't argue                                 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Angelic Cynic said:

  Absolutely.But it has cost nothing and as the television deal is coming from Toronto,putatively,and they wanted the names of the cities that are known outside of the UK,it may now be that Swinton become well known outside of the UK.

I think you're massively overestimating the amount of people that will have seen this news report, let alone remembered the club involved!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

It's 8 miles (20 minutes) from Station Road, Swinton to Manchester Regional Arena Etihad Campus, Manchester.

By comparison, it's:

6.5 miles to High Lane, Bury (the out of town stadium where they moved for about 6 years after selling Station Road), 

3 miles to Moor Lane, Salford (within the same Metro District where they played for a couple of years after),

4 miles to Park Lane, Whitefield, Bury (back in Bury for another 6 years),

4.5 miles to The Willows, Salford (back in Salford for a year),

11 miles to Heywood Road, Sale, Trafford (where the club have played since 2016).

 

The ground move isn't really the issue it seems (they've bounced around similar distances for nearly a quarter century), so it's not exactly alienating their support base anymore than they have been. The name change is the crux of it it appears.

 

 

I know people might not like it but the name change just might be the very thing that saves this proud and old club.  They have to do something!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 Minutes ? you mustn't try to get anywhere in Greater Manchester 😎 It probably takes that long to travel along either Chapel Street or Regent Road.

Do you recall the United Manager walking to the ground because of traffic. It was taking them almost 2 hours from training to OT

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if we're considering the distance from Swinton to the Etihad Campus, then it is around 8 miles, as stated

On the other hand, If we are speaking generally, the dstance from Swinton to Manchester is commonly said to be around 5 miles. That would also be be the distance from Swinton to one of the two main Manchester stations. That could take less than 15 minutes. 

I don't see the distance as the issue here; as someone else posted somewhere, it all seems to be about the name for some posters.

Just as a matter of interest, it would probably be quite an enlightening exercise to note the distance of club grounds from their respective city centres.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I'm on paternity leave and bored, so here you go (courtesy of Google Maps) to the respective town /city halls (or Central area)

Castleford: 0.7 miles

Catalans: 2.2 miles

Huddersfield: 1.7 miles

Hull FC: 1.9 miles

Hull KR: 4.6 miles

Leeds: 2.2 miles

London (Ealing): 1.5 miles

Salford: 6.9 miles

St Helens: 1.9 miles

Wakefield: 1.5 miles

Warrington: 0.8 miles

Wigan: 1.4 miles

 

Edited by Wellsy4HullFC

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Well I'm on paternity leave and bored, so here you go (courtesy of Google Maps) to the respective town /city halls (or Central area)

Castleford: 0.7 miles

Catalans: 2.2 miles

Huddersfield: 11.7 miles

Hull FC: 1.9 miles

Hull KR: 4.6 miles

Leeds: 2.2 miles

London (Ealing): 1.5 miles

Salford: 6.9 miles

St Helens: 1.9 miles

Wakefield: 1.5 miles

Warrington: 0.8 miles

Wigan: 1.4 miles

 

How far is Station Rd from the centre of Fev ?🙃

Edited by GUBRATS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GUBRATS said:

How far is Station Rd from the centre of Fev ?🙃

Or better still , how far is anywhere in Fev from the centre of Fev ? 🙃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

its a small village, just outside Asda's 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Well I'm on paternity leave and bored, so here you go (courtesy of Google Maps) to the respective town /city halls (or Central area)

Castleford: 0.7 miles

Catalans: 2.2 miles

Huddersfield: 11.7 miles

Hull FC: 1.9 miles

Hull KR: 4.6 miles

Leeds: 2.2 miles

London (Ealing): 1.5 miles

Salford: 6.9 miles

St Helens: 1.9 miles

Wakefield: 1.5 miles

Warrington: 0.8 miles

Wigan: 1.4 miles

 

I would suspect you're way off on Huddersfield! Also, Salford will be to Swinton Civic Hall ironically enough, although pinning down the actual 'centre' of Salford is easier said than done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/06/2019 at 17:50, Number 16 said:

Toronto is a hard core hockey/soccer/CFL/baseball/lacrosse stronghold which isn't looking for an alternative sport. 

You’re right it isn’t and eventually it will collapse in a heap of indifference.

sad but then the truth often is.

  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I would suspect you're way off on Huddersfield! Also, Salford will be to Swinton Civic Hall ironically enough, although pinning down the actual 'centre' of Salford is easier said than done.

Whoops! Hit the one twice 🤣

I've just gone with what Google said was Salford Town Hall, which I guess wouldn't be in Swinton.


Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Kirmonds pouch said:

You’re right it isn’t and eventually it will collapse in a heap of indifference.

sad but then the truth often is.

🙄


Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Whoops! Hit the one twice 🤣

I've just gone with what Google said was Salford Town Hall, which I guess wouldn't be in Swinton.

That is a can of worms in itself. The "Town Hall" is in Swinton. Salford Town Hall was in Bexley Square which is spitting distance of the Manchester border

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always thought of Swinton, Salford and Broughton as the Manchester clubs (as covered in the RL book, called something like “Rugby League in Manchester”.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...