Wed 5th June : The 1895 Cup 2nd Round Fixture Thread

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's clear that this competition hasn't grabbed supporters from the low attendances or the clubs themselves from sides throwing their game by putting out a team full of kids.

I'm also surprised Bradford haven't been called out for it. Are there not rules about playing weakened sides? I feel for spectators who paid to attend a sham game which one side had no intention of winning.

3 hours ago, Colin James said:

It's clear that this competition hasn't grabbed supporters from the low attendances or the clubs themselves from sides throwing their game by putting out a team full of kids.

I'm also surprised Bradford haven't been called out for it. Are there not rules about playing weakened sides? I feel for spectators who paid to attend a sham game which one side had no intention of winning.

Literally the whole point of this competition is to get clubs like Bradford and Fax back to Wembley. 

If those clubs themselves effectively opt out becasue of the fixture congestion it causes then it really does seem to be without purpose. 

Bradford and Fax, the whole 17. Featherstone to a lesser extent.

Here we go again .....

But when they have just played on Sunday and are being asked to play on the Wednesday night (and again on the coming weekend) it's not really fair on the players. I don't blame them for resting most of the team.

1 hour ago, SL17 said:

Are the fixture dates set in stone by the RFL? Surely they would have consulted with both clubs regarding the Wednesday night games to follow. Both clubs must have agreed to play the CC game on the Sunday.

Our game (Fev at Widnes), was originally announced for Sunday June 2nd but then Widnes re arranged their postponed league game against Sheffield, from when they went into administration, for the Friday night (May 31st) instead. That is why our game was moved to last night. Had it been played last Sunday I think you would have seen a different Featherstone team put out. 

28 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Our game (Fev at Widnes), was originally announced for Sunday June 2nd but then Widnes re arranged their postponed league game against Sheffield, from when they went into administration, for the Friday night (May 31st) instead. That is why our game was moved to last night. Had it been played last Sunday I think you would have seen a different Featherstone team put out. 

Widnes were told by the RFL that the game against Sheffield had to be played on the first free weekend available and that it took priority over the 1895 Cup game. 

The quarter-finals will be played midweek and all 8 clubs have league fixtures on the weekend before and after, will be interesting to see who fields their full team for that.

1 hour ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Week beginning 24th June I think 

Really, 24th is a Monday and the following Sunday Leigh play Sheffield in a Championship game, sorry I don't know what the other quarter-finalists fixtures are, but with JonM giving the information that Widnes were instructed to play a league game as that took priority over the 1895 comp, so are we to assume the games are going to be midweek?

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Really, 24th is a Monday and the following Sunday Leigh play Sheffield in a Championship game, sorry I don't know what the other quarter-finalists fixtures are, but with JonM giving the information that Widnes were instructed to play a league game as that took priority over the 1895 comp, so are we to assume the games are going to be midweek?

Yep, likely the Weds night

14 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

are we to assume the games are going to be midweek?

Yes. The cup was originally announced as a midweek competition and that's why Skolars, Coventry etc. chose not to take part. Some clubs were able to switch their 2nd round games to Sunday because they'd been knocked out of the challenge cup and didn't have any postponed fixtures to catch up on. The next rounds will be entirely midweek.

Archived