Sat 8th/Sun 9th Jun : The Betfred Championship Fixture Thread

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DEANO said:

Thank you. Is that not a knock on!!!

From that angle it appears to be, though it's not a good enough angle to make any proper judgment. Nor is it close enough to say who actually got the last touch. It's so 'up in the air', as it were, that I think we must take the ref's call, after all he was closest.

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Hard to tell from the video, but the player who jumped for the ball was in front of the kicker, so York should have had a penalty on the 20 metre line where the ball was kicked. It was a good game played in driving rain most of the time, and a good advert for the Championship, just a shame it was decided by two shocking decisions by the officials. 

On 07/06/2019 at 14:11, Lounge Room Lizard said:

As a Fax fan financially Fax are set up likely via the Semi v St.Helens for the season. Tickets, Merchandise etc. Budget probably easily beaten now, even if we dont finish in the top 5.

Playing wise some good kids coming through for the future helped by Marshall, Stevie greenwood and Martin Gonzalez via the reserves which has/is serving its purpose- The Davies Twins, Will Calcott, James Woodburn-Hall, McGrath and obviously Chester Butler getting good game time having come from the reserves. A couple more Welsh guys got game time via Sheffield-another plus for me! Simon Grix is doing well at first team level and hopefully brings in reserve graders as Marshall successfully did in time.

If we beat Leigh good, but the positives long term look good at Fax no matter where we finish. Leigh are a quality team. They have rightly recruited local lads. I can see them finishing top 5 and deservedly so with Fev. Leigh have not much strength in depth would be my assessment. They have a good 17, but then struggle outside that.

Bradford, York, Batley, Leigh, Sheffield, Widnes and Fev have likely (hopefully) not budgeted for a top 5 finish. If they get there, then great.Halifax budgeted for top 5 but the cup run has taken that pressure off to some degree! It Seems fans expect sometimes too much from their Coaching/team. Heres the top 8 and its all to play for!!

1.Toronto +310 28

2.Toulouse +204 22

3.York City.K +36 20

4.Feathersn +191 18

5.Leigh.Cent +77 18

6.Sheffield    +69 18

7.Bradford Bulls  -1 16

8.Halifax RLFC -67 16

What is the difference between budgeting for 5th and 6th, as a matter of interest?

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

49 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

Not much anymore , other than the extra games 

Certainly not the disaster it used to be if you missed out, although its great for the teams that do miss out now it will eventually lead to a drop in quality in the championship as the purse strings tightern.

2 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

What is the difference between budgeting for 5th and 6th, as a matter of interest?

I am guessing its not as much as the 8s, especially when now not playing against 4 SL Teams. There must be some reward financially in finishing in the top 5 from the RFL. But how much few seem to know! How much do clubs get for reaching the Cup Semi? Nobody seems to know!I presume its shared money in the top 5 playoffs. I guess the extra games and possible TV game in the top 5 playoffs help bring in extra money in a small way.

Widnes 16 - Barrow 2 at half-time. Gelling making his first appearance for Widnes in what seems like months.

Nice little festival featuring the Widnes, Warrington, St. Helens & Wigan Learning Disability teams before the start of the match. 

Widnes have been running "Club 20" for a while - honouring academy products who play 20 first team games. Joe Lyons became the 15th member today. With the majority of the first team having come through the academy, there's likely to be quite a few more inductees this season.

Widnes 38 Barrow 14 FT Attendance 3830

It was 38-2 after 60 minutes , but two interceptions on the Barrow goal line resulted in length of the field tries for Barrow.

3 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

I am guessing its not as much as the 8s, especially when now not playing against 4 SL Teams. There must be some reward financially in finishing in the top 5 from the RFL. But how much few seem to know! How much do clubs get for reaching the Cup Semi? Nobody seems to know!I presume its shared money in the top 5 playoffs. I guess the extra games and possible TV game in the top 5 playoffs help bring in extra money in a small way.

Clubs in the CC semis get equal shares of the gate money after taking out 5% for the cup pool and expenses for the staging of the game.

Leigh 31 - 8 Fax, didn't expect that. Side looked balanced with 5 grunts, even allowed more game time to get Hock up to speed. Fax were simply well beaten down the middle, despite having all the early ball and position. Best performance of the season so far 3400 gate

7 hours ago, Bulliac said:

From that angle it appears to be, though it's not a good enough angle to make any proper judgment. Nor is it close enough to say who actually got the last touch. It's so 'up in the air', as it were, that I think we must take the ref's call, after all he was closest.

I would agree, it may have gone backwards or level. Either way it was an illegal tackle in the air by the York defender

42 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Leigh 31 - 8 Fax, didn't expect that. Side looked balanced with 5 grunts, even allowed more game time to get Hock up to speed. Fax were simply well beaten down the middle, despite having all the early ball and position. Best performance of the season so far 3400 gate

Did help that Fax lost Murrel for a long time though , they visibly ' lifted 'when he came back on 

42 minutes ago, sweaty craiq said:

Sounded like poor discipline by a few Fax players today. Mentally not there and committed stupid errors and losing our heads. Poor discipline. Think the getting to the Semi has got to some of the Fax players. 

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

I can't say its totally unexpected to be honest. We do concede a lot of points this season so it was expected Leigh to score a few with the talent they have but we are suffering badly with not been able to pick teams apart and thats been an issue the last 3 seasons. Grix now has a massive job of clearing out the dead wood with many of our players at least 1 or 2 seasons too many and players brought in simply not up to the task. Its been a while since we had a pack that got rolled  more than like 3 or 4 times a season but now we look soft and rarely get on the front foot.

Leigh play really good rugby and I would to see Fax play in a similar style and its one that comes from having 2 half backs and a hooker that can pass a ball well and we have not had that since the Calland era. The irony is that Marshall had chance to sign 2 out of those 3 players but decided to stick with what he had.

34 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Sounded like poor discipline by a few Fax players today. Mentally not there and committed stupid errors and losing our heads. Poor discipline. Think the getting to the Semi has got to some of the Fax players. 

To be fair to Fairbank who had provocation for the yellow and then the red is a direct result of a Leigh player play acting after a challenge that was borderline penalty at worst so these things happen. Irrelevant of that though we were played off the park.

1 minute ago, The Blues Ox said:

To be fair to Fairbank who had provocation for the yellow and then the red is a direct result of a Leigh player play acting after a challenge that was borderline penalty at worst so these things happen. Irrelevant of that though we were played off the park.

The red was for Fleming punching Ian Thornley, it was Tangata who put the hit on Woods which wasn't punished. 

Just now, LeytherRob said:

The red was for Fleming punching Ian Thornley, it was Tangata who put the hit on Woods which wasn't punished. 

Yeah thats what I am getting at. The incident should not have happened, Tangata pushed Woods and he stayed down like he had been hit by a brick. Tangata's reaction said it all when the Leigh players started all running in, he knew there was nothing in the challenge.

4 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Yeah thats what I am getting at. The incident should not have happened, Tangata pushed Woods and he stayed down like he had been hit by a brick. Tangata's reaction said it all when the Leigh players started all running in, he knew there was nothing in the challenge.

It looked a heavier challenge than a push to me, so I think it's unfair to say Woods was play acting. Half backs on both sides got some big hits today.

17 minutes ago, The Blues Ox said:

Pushed ...Give your head a wobble.The Fax player should`ve pulled out as the ball was well gone.

We`re on a road to Nowhere.......................

Archived