Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Old Frightful

Sat 8th/Sun 9th Jun : The Betfred Championship Fixture Thread

Recommended Posts

Tricky to know what's going to happen on Sunday.  We've played and beaten Batley twice this season, both at Mount Pleasant, and both were really really tough games.  I'm hoping that we're not flat from the Challenge Cup defeat, because if we are then it could be a very difficult afternoon.  There's a lot to like about Batley and they're pretty physical, so if we're not up for it then we'll be getting beat.

Without wanting to get involved in the argument above all I'd say is that the reality of the where we are now and why, together with the unimaginative style of rugby being played, has to be rationalised.  JK has a job to do and it's not a pretty one.  I'm not his biggest fan, but I do respect him, and think that next season is the one to judge him.  In 2020 he will be in his third year, the club consolidated, and most if not all of the players will be ones he's brought in rather than ones he's inherited.

Bulls by 6

  • Like 1

Forever in our shadow, forever on your mind.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a Fax fan financially Fax are set up likely via the Semi v St.Helens for the season. Tickets, Merchandise etc. Budget probably easily beaten now, even if we dont finish in the top 5.

Playing wise some good kids coming through for the future helped by Marshall, Stevie greenwood and Martin Gonzalez via the reserves which has/is serving its purpose- The Davies Twins, Will Calcott, James Woodburn-Hall, McGrath and obviously Chester Butler getting good game time having come from the reserves. A couple more Welsh guys got game time via Sheffield-another plus for me! Simon Grix is doing well at first team level and hopefully brings in reserve graders as Marshall successfully did in time.

If we beat Leigh good, but the positives long term look good at Fax no matter where we finish. Leigh are a quality team. They have rightly recruited local lads. I can see them finishing top 5 and deservedly so with Fev. Leigh have not much strength in depth would be my assessment. They have a good 17, but then struggle outside that.

Bradford, York, Batley, Leigh, Sheffield, Widnes and Fev have likely (hopefully) not budgeted for a top 5 finish. If they get there, then great.Halifax budgeted for top 5 but the cup run has taken that pressure off to some degree! It Seems fans expect sometimes too much from their Coaching/team. Heres the top 8 and its all to play for!!

1.Toronto +310 28

2.Toulouse +204 22

3.York City.K +36 20

4.Feathersn +191 18

5.Leigh.Cent +77 18

6.Sheffield    +69 18

7.Bradford Bulls  -1 16

8.Halifax RLFC -67 16

                   
                   
                   
                   
                   
                   
                   
                   
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Konkrete said:

Tricky to know what's going to happen on Sunday.  We've played and beaten Batley twice this season, both at Mount Pleasant, and both were really really tough games.  I'm hoping that we're not flat from the Challenge Cup defeat, because if we are then it could be a very difficult afternoon.  There's a lot to like about Batley and they're pretty physical, so if we're not up for it then we'll be getting beat.

Without wanting to get involved in the argument above all I'd say is that the reality of the where we are now and why, together with the unimaginative style of rugby being played, has to be rationalised.  JK has a job to do and it's not a pretty one.  I'm not his biggest fan, but I do respect him, and think that next season is the one to judge him.  In 2020 he will be in his third year, the club consolidated, and most if not all of the players will be ones he's brought in rather than ones he's inherited.

Bulls by 6

Yeah, common sense really concrete. Bulls are doing OK; we're in our first season since promotion and we're mid-table AND no-one is shouting anything about wolves at the door. Yes, I'd love to see a more expansive game, a few more off-loads and more points scored but I'm happy enough, there are some decent sides in this division, a lot of good quality games and no real gimmes, some people are just never happy.

We've got Jy Hitchcox coming back soon and Joe Keyes too, which hopefully should pep the side up a bit. As for Batley, well they're another good side and you're right - if we don't match them in the forwards then we could easily come in second, not something we want to do as losing, just like winning, is a habit.

  • Like 1

No team is an island.........................................

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31337109@N03/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

As a Fax fan financially Fax are set up likely via the Semi v St.Helens for the season. Tickets, Merchandise etc. Budget probably easily beaten now, even if we dont finish in the top 5.

Playing wise some good kids coming through for the future helped by Marshall, Stevie greenwood and Martin Gonzalez via the reserves which has/is serving its purpose- The Davies Twins, Will Calcott, James Woodburn-Hall, McGrath and obviously Chester Butler getting good game time having come from the reserves. A couple more Welsh guys got game time via Sheffield-another plus for me! Simon Grix is doing well at first team level and hopefully brings in reserve graders as Marshall successfully did in time.

If we beat Leigh good, but the positives long term look good at Fax no matter where we finish. Leigh are a quality team. They have rightly recruited local lads. I can see them finishing top 5 and deservedly so with Fev. Leigh have not much strength in depth would be my assessment. They have a good 17, but then struggle outside that.

Bradford, York, Batley, Leigh, Sheffield, Widnes and Fev have likely (hopefully) not budgeted for a top 5 finish. If they get there, then great.Halifax budgeted for top 5 but the cup run has taken that pressure off to some degree! It Seems fans expect sometimes too much from their Coaching/team. Heres the top 8 and its all to play for!!

1.Toronto +310 28

2.Toulouse +204 22

3.York City.K +36 20

4.Feathersn +191 18

5.Leigh.Cent +77 18

6.Sheffield    +69 18

7.Bradford Bulls  -1 16

8.Halifax RLFC -67 16

                   
                   
                   
                   
                   
                   
                   
                   

So it's 6 into 3 , should be an interesting run in 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

I would say 7 into 4, you never know what could happen due to injuries and suspensions.

I can't see Toulouse dropping enough points to slip back 6 points 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GUBRATS said:

I can't see Toulouse dropping enough points to slip back 6 points 

Who knows? York have surprised a few this season (except Fev 😜) so could continue in that vein today? Ford picks up a season ending injury? Other key players get knocks or suspensions? Just think it is a tad early to claim TO are home and hosed in 2nd spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I can't see Toulouse dropping enough points to slip back 6 points 

depends on their remaining fixtures how many are away like me you know the're not the best travelers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Private Baldrick said:

Who knows? York have surprised a few this season (except Fev 😜) so could continue in that vein today? Ford picks up a season ending injury? Other key players get knocks or suspensions? Just think it is a tad early to claim TO are home and hosed in 2nd spot.

That's them in the top 5 now ,told you 🙃

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, HaxbyKnight said:

If Toulouse get as much help from the officials as they got today, they will be in Super League next season

Behave , close calls but nothing blatant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stirlin said:

Behave , close calls but nothing blatant.

We made some errors that cost us, but the try that proved to be the winner was a blatant knock on from a player who was offside..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Stirlin said:

Behave , close calls but nothing blatant.

A bounce down try is not a close call.

Child give them everything. No wonder he dropped from Super League.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Toulouse today plays whithout : Ford, Curran, ader, bergal,bretherton, Bentley, and Kheirallah  after 10 minutes. 6 of their major players. So it was a good win !

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, PECETTO said:

Toulouse today plays whithout : Ford, Curran, ader, bergal,bretherton, Bentley, and Kheirallah  after 10 minutes. 6 of their major players. So it was a good win !

I do believe all the rest were still full time pros 

  • Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, PECETTO said:

Toulouse today plays whithout : Ford, Curran, ader, bergal,bretherton, Bentley, and Kheirallah  after 10 minutes. 6 of their major players. So it was a good win !

York also had players missing. Every team has players missing. So your point is.....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What size was the crowd at York today?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HaxbyKnight said:

If Toulouse get as much help from the officials as they got today, they will be in Super League next season

I go to a RL forum in France which has a Catalans and Toulouse section. On both of them, if they lose, there are a number of posters who complain about the biased English refs being against them. Others say we didn't play well enough so don't bag the ref. So many Toulouse fans feel if they make it into SL, it will be in spite of the English arbiters. 


My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish I knew how to load the video of the winning try today. It would make the ref look very foolish 


sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Wish I knew how to load the video of the winning try today. It would make the ref look very foolish 

Here you go sir: 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, DEANO said:

Wish I knew how to load the video of the winning try today. It would make the ref look very foolish 

It isn't up as I post but all Toulouse matches are played here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9FgJIJyyNVPVIJn9sFTNCQ


My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Moscow01 said:

Here you go sir: 

 

 

Thank you. Is that not a knock on!!!

  • Like 1

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...