Boycotting Aussie national anthem

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

National anthems without words are much better all round - avoid the triumphalism and hubris.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Billy Connolly was right.

Our anthem (UK) it's the most de-motivating I have ever heard!

New Zealand always sing their Anthem in English & Maori, Why can't the Australian anthem to delete the offending lines (if any) be changed and sung in Pama-Nyungen, as a second verse as the Kiwi's do.

Australians all let us rejoice, For we are young and free; We’ve golden soil and wealth for toil; Our home is girt by sea; Our land abounds in nature’s gifts Of beauty rich and rare; In history’s page, let every stage Advance Australia Fair. In joyful strains then let us sing, Advance Australia Fair.

English NZ: God of Nations at Thy feet,
In the bonds of love we meet,
Hear our voices, we entreat,
God defend our free land.
Guard Pacific's triple star
From the shafts of strife and war,
Make her praises heard afar,
God defend New Zealand.

Maori NZ: E Ihowā Atua,
O ngā iwi mātou rā
Āta whakarangona;
Me aroha noa
Kia hua ko te pai;
Kia tau tō atawhai;
Manaakitia mai
Aotearoa

O Lord, God,
Of all people
Listen to us,
Cherish us
May good flourish,
May your blessings flow
Defend Aotearoa

18 minutes ago, fighting irish said:

Billy Connolly was right.

Our anthem (UK) it's the most de-motivating I have ever heard!

It could be worse, The have been experimenting with Jerusalem

Or would you rather have it written by some Eurovision wannabe?

Land of Hope & Glory everytime.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

38 minutes ago, Sparse Attendance said:

National Anthems are a bit naff and outdated, i never stand up for the British anthem. 

You're my hero.

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

2 hours ago, Rob Nash said:

That's fine. Outdated concept anyway. We never go as far as the verse about "rebellious Scots to crush". Time we changed to Jerusalem

Well, we should, every time. aligns us with France: To arms, citizens!
Form your battalions
Let's march, let's march
Let an impure blood
Water our furrows!

Our National Anthem is generally played at much too slow a tempo.

Go for Jerusalem and then listen for the arguments about the meaning of the lyrics.

Blake has never been further north than Watford and knew nothing of he North, I think. The dark satanic mills are it seems, not in Rochdale.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-35304508

2 hours ago, Rob Nash said:

That's fine. Outdated concept anyway. We never go as far as the verse about "rebellious Scots to crush". Time we changed to Jerusalem

Nah,Land of Hope & Glory for me.

4 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Just change the offending line.

I see no reason why they the Australians should not change their anthem, it's their business. 

It is only one word however which to me makes virtually no difference, and to me (and I am a disinterested observer) the original word seems innocent enough except for anyone who wants to make an issue. 

It strikes me the alternative word "strong" can be taken in some bad way if people want to.

But if people are upset then so be it... but if they currently are proud and comfortable with their country and its future aspirations then it strikes me there is no reason or logic not to still sing it, yet still (in a free country - which is the point) complain separately about it.

4 hours ago, Bleep1673 said:

New Zealand always sing their Anthem in English & Maori, Why can't the Australian anthem to delete the offending lines (if any) be changed and sung in Pama-Nyungen, as a second verse as the Kiwi's do.

Isn't it's pretty obvious why we can't do that?

Because there'd be a massive divisive fight over which language the anthem should be sung in, which would only come to a conclusion when it is suggested that it should be sung in the language of the tribal nation that it's being sung in, which I'm sure you'll find is a completely unrealistic suggestion when considering that there's give or take 300 native languages in Australia.

Also comparing the situation in NZ with the situation in Australia is bloody stupid anyway, it's a completely different historical context that has resulted in completely different sweeping societal problems. If you must compare to other nations then the situation in Australia is much more comparable to Canada or even USA.

Our anthem is the boring , demotivating snore fest around .Im not particularly keen on saving the queen anyway !! I agree , Billy Connolly was right . No one wants us to win anything ! And it looks ridiculous when it’s so slow everyone’s finished singing way before it’s over ! Get a much more up tempo stirring tone that at least you can tap a toe to ... like Italy’s . 100 mile an hour stuff with some high speed da da dum in the middle everyone can join in with . Rousing . We use the we’ll bore you to torpor ploy 

2 minutes ago, DavidM said:

Our anthem is the boring , demotivating snore fest around .Im not particularly keen on saving the queen anyway !! I agree , Billy Connolly was right . No one wants us to win anything ! And it looks ridiculous when it’s so slow everyone’s finished singing way before it’s over ! Get a much more up tempo stirring tone that at least you can tap a toe to ... like Italy’s . 100 mile an hour stuff with some high speed da da dum in the middle everyone can join in with . Rousing . We use the we’ll bore you to torpor ploy 

I’m not sure the Italian anthem is a great example it turns into the munchkin song from the wizard of oz half way through. 

5 hours ago, fighting irish said:

Just change the offending line.

Look I don't really care about the national anthem, whether they change it or not I don't care (in my opinion Advance Australia Fair never should have been the anthem in the first place), but there is nothing wrong with the line that "offends" them, and if you can find calling Australians "young and free" offensive then you can find ways to make anything offensive.

So frankly I think this whole discussion (and others like it) are all massive waste of time that should be totally and utterly ignored, and that the time could be and should be better spent, you know, actually fixing real problems that the country faces.

Archived