pedanticness in sl compared to origin

just watched origin round one - a reminder of the days when the game was allowed to flow, not a whistle fest for any old reason, the intensity was maintained by letting the game go, if the tackle was a bit high they weren't looking round milking a penalty or even expecting the sniff of one, no time for that in high intensity rl - didn't see the game stopped once so anyone could have their neck rubbed by 2 disposable blue rubber gloves or the video ref taking 5 mins to watch 15 replays, pedanticness  is spoiling rl here

see you later undertaker - in a while necrophile 

Being pedantic, I actually looked up whether 'pedancticness' is a real word ?

For the record, it is not. The quality of 'being pedantic' is actually 'pedanticism' it seems...

Also, I totally agree with the substantive. The referees in this country are far too pedantic compared with what seems to happen in Australia. 

10 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

just watched origin round one - a reminder of the days when the game was allowed to flow, not a whistle fest for any old reason, the intensity was maintained by letting the game go, if the tackle was a bit high they weren't looking round milking a penalty or even expecting the sniff of one, no time for that in high intensity rl - didn't see the game stopped once so anyone could have their neck rubbed by 2 disposable blue rubber gloves or the video ref taking 5 mins to watch 15 replays, pedanticness  is spoiling rl here

But its reffed totally different to normal nrl games too, not just SL. The nrl games last weekend were penalised quite a lot too. 

10 hours ago, graveyard johnny said:

Dud you watch the Barrow v Bulls game last night johnny, the ref was quite good he let play proceed mostly, not a lot of free kicks awarded, and hardly anything around the ruck area, the ref was James Childs he took a rest from his usual blow every 15 seconds, could it be he wasn't under the pressure of SL and 14 camera's scrutinising every second?

Comparing SL games with Origin is pretty pointless, unless you just want to identify the gulf in quality. As DKW says, Origin is reffed very differently to any other RL games.

Which possibly begs the question "why don't they ref that way in NRL games? if this is the outcome" 

IMO, our biggest issue currently in SL is quality. Such a frantic, high paced and at times desperate game as we've seen in Origin 1, played in SL, would result in many more errors.

I don't have too much of a problem with how ref's officiate SL games, in terms of flow. And it's only really around the PTB that maybe ref's in Origin are a bit more lenient. Off-sides are pinged, as are high tackles.

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

1 hour ago, Harry Stottle said:

Dud you watch the Barrow v Bulls game last night johnny, the ref was quite good he let play proceed mostly, not a lot of free kicks awarded, and hardly anything around the ruck area, the ref was James Childs he took a rest from his usual blow every 15 seconds, could it be he wasn't under the pressure of SL and 14 camera's scrutinising every second?

on this point i agree entirely.. i think the refs are under far too much pressure in SL and the commentators do not help.

On another point i did think the video ref was much better..

what are you looking at? grounding in goal.. right i'll check that, nope he got it down.. on screen.. done.. 

Touch line and touch in goal? give me a quick replay, then a still of when he puts the ball down.. all fine.. on screen.. done 

brilliant!

9 minutes ago, EastLondonMike said:

Comparing SL games with Origin is pretty pointless, unless you just want to identify the gulf in quality. As DKW says, Origin is reffed very differently to any other RL games.

Which possibly begs the question "why don't they ref that way in NRL games? if this is the outcome" 

IMO, our biggest issue currently in SL is quality. Such a frantic, high paced and at times desperate game as we've seen in Origin 1, played in SL, would result in many more errors.

I don't have too much of a problem with how ref's officiate SL games, in terms of flow. And it's only really around the PTB that maybe ref's in Origin are a bit more lenient. Off-sides are pinged, as are high tackles.

Agree with much of that.

We've got to stop bringing the focus onto the Refs and not the players.  I can’t imagine a day when a youngster has a picture of a Referee on their bedroom wall. 

6 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

Agree with much of that.

We've got to stop bringing the focus onto the Refs and not the players.  I can’t imagine a day when a youngster has a picture of a Referee on their bedroom wall. 

Exactly. I've mentioned it a few times on these forums, regarding players. In SL players just want the easy option of a penalty at the PTB as a piggy back downfield. In the NRL, mostly, players just want to get up after being tackled and play. It's a mental approach that needs changing. In my opinion ?

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

They referee origin differently , always have . Even last year when at this time the NRL was a nye on unwatchable penalty fest there was the complete opposite in origin . Quite strange and you’d hope they’d take that into the weekly game . There is no doubt at all that the ref keeping out of it as much as possible , using latitude and common sense,  and understanding the importance of every penalty so keeping them to a minimum , makes a faster better more watchable game where fatigue comes in and opens up the game . Refs are filled with to many KPI’s they must watch , feel they must tick boxes for their bosses , and to often are looking to blow rather than the opposite . So many pens don’t need blowing , they have no material impact on the game . And as for the VR , that needs pairing down a lot and time limited . Give the VR more control of pics here so he can do it faster 

2 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

I think if games were reffed like that every week, people would start to get annoyed very quickly. I'm really not a fan of just ignoring offences like the Aussies do in Origin and Internationals. 

People turn the other cheek for Origin and celebrate the occasion, people won't have the same tolerance during Salford v Hudds in front of 3k on a Thursday night. 

I'm for a sensible balance.

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

I think if games were reffed like that every week, people would start to get annoyed very quickly. I'm really not a fan of just ignoring offences like the Aussies do in Origin and Internationals. 

People turn the other cheek for Origin and celebrate the occasion, people won't have the same tolerance during Salford v Hudds in front of 3k on a Thursday night. 

Quite agree. Leniency in some areas will risk leading to other areas. and obviously defeats the object of having rules in place. With Origin i think leniency tends to be around the PTB and a bit of tough stuff. For instance the Josh Ado-Carr hit on Ponga in the first half would probably have been a penalty in the NRL.

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

3 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Pedantry.

Now you're being semantic.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

3 hours ago, EastLondonMike said:

Exactly. I've mentioned it a few times on these forums, regarding players. In SL players just want the easy option of a penalty at the PTB as a piggy back downfield. In the NRL, mostly, players just want to get up after being tackled and play. It's a mental approach that needs changing. In my opinion ?

Yeah but if our ref's had an understanding of the game and didn't dish out penalties for obvious milking at the PTB the players might get the message and teams might learn what it's like to try and bring the ball out from their own line.

3 minutes ago, Davo5 said:

Yeah but if our ref's had an understanding of the game and didn't dish out penalties for obvious milking at the PTB the players might get the message and teams might learn what it's like to try and bring the ball out from their own line.

tend to agree.. its a bit like in football with the "there is nothing you can do about diving".. actually you can book and send them off.. it will be painful at the start with 9 v 8 but they will soon get the message and stop.

6 hours ago, Dave T said:

No doubt the NZ team were in full Origin mode last season in the Internationals. 

"if it moves hit it in the head".  Ref waves play on.

Maybe the RFL should just pick 2 arbitrary teams and just let them kick lumps out of them 3 times a season.

11 hours ago, Exiled Wiganer said:

Pedantry.

Pedant

Only kidding, couldn't resist!

Ignoring the rules is certainly a way of keepng the game flowing I wonder if it'll catch on?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

I've recently signed up for Watch NRL, such a good production quality, not likely to watch SL again anytime soon. The play of the ball seems to be so much slower in SL. There is so much tolerance for flopping in after the tackle and annoying hand waving for penalties by half backs. Elstone has the right idea if he is push for two refs and more disciple around the ruck.

Would things change if we got a better “head of official’s” ?. I just don’t think Ganson is the right person. Anyone with a bit of authority would’ve sorted out the “play the ball” by now, and not ignore the farce it has been for the last few years. Have any of the RL press asked him about this, or are they scared of losing their free press passes. 

I think we need to stop pussy footing around, and call out these officials as true zealots

Referees applying the rules and laws of the game, whatever next?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

Archived