Match Thread: Sheffield v Featherstone Rovers. Sunday 9th June 2019

23 minutes ago, Robin Evans said:

Steady away. Result never in doubt

Robin you are famous you were mentioned on Rovers tv sipping red wine in France .Been there once but disliked it what makes you love the country.

Not one of our better displays we played well for about 25 of the 80 min.Goal line defence should have stopped two of the Eagles tries.But we keep our winning League run going and i feel we can perform better.We played a bit too much one ups down the middle and the outside backs got few running chances.Cameron king probably our best player today along with Holmes,thought Chissy played ok but not up to his usual form.Eagles threw the ball about better than any side we have played this season but they lacked penetration down the middle,good job the rain kept off.

We dropped a lot of ball, fortunately so did they.  What an awful ground.  Hard to find. Temporary loos.  No real terracing.  How do they get away with it year in year out?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Ground is easy to find its in exact same place Don Valley used to be

As others have said didnt sparkle today but did more than enough and result never looked in doubt - we always looked like we could go up another gear if needs be

It also bodes well going forward we can score 38 pts and have our probable chief creator in Chisholm have a relatively quiet day at the office

Thought Ormanroyd really ran it in well when he came on as did all the forwards 

Hardy got through a ton of work as per usual King superb again

Thacks ominous again as he was in the home game

Roll on Widnes next week!

Bit of a patchy performance in truth after a fast start but we did enough. A strange game really with none of the 4 half backs really shining ( though Chisholm's high kick and kick offs gave them plenty of problems).

Another strange thing was that we defended plenty of sets near our line really well but two of their 3 tries were desperately soft.

We must have dropped the ball on the first tackle at least 4 times with our outside backs the main culprits.

Use of subs again unusual. I think holding back Ormondroyd until the 2nd half has proved quite effective but it must have been about 65 minutes before he got on. He has played pretty well lately I think.

Finally well done to Alex Sutcliffe, coaches are always asking players to "leave it all on the pitch". Fair play to him for carrying on.

Nothing much really to add that hasn't been said. Not our best game but still won quite comfortably in the end. I wonder if the pitch has anything to do with the amount of knock ons but some of them were clearly just poor handling.

On the ground itself, the complex as a whole is easy to get to but I have to agree the entrance to the rugby pitch doesn't stand out well. It's not really sign posted and there are no stands visible from the road. I did see quite a few people asking for directions.

I actually enjoyed sitting on the banking behind the sticks in the first half but let's hope the ground actually gets built one day. The crowd was given as 1300 but I'd bet there were just as many Fev fans there as Sheffield.

21 hours ago, Blue Pike said:

Robin you are famous you were mentioned on Rovers tv sipping red wine in France .Been there once but disliked it what makes you love the country.

Thirty years of friendship.... the love of rural france, its sense of community and fraternité.... the wine, the gastronomy, the respect for history and ancient artisan practice whilst embracing new tech... the language, the sport.... almost every small town has a community stadium that is the poodles swingers mate.....

Very little i dislike about this country.

1 hour ago, Robin Evans said:

Thirty years of friendship.... the love of rural france, its sense of community and fraternité.... the wine, the gastronomy, the respect for history and ancient artisan practice whilst embracing new tech... the language, the sport.... almost every small town has a community stadium that is the poodles swingers mate.....

Very little i dislike about this country.

Very well put.Seems like the logical place for you to retire to.Dont know if it’s true but once got told they used to play RL before the Nazis invaded ,then after the war went Rugby union.Remember going to POR in the early 80s I think when Fev played their National Team who were on a tour and it was one of the most dirtiest opponents I have ever seen.Think we won but forgot due to the violence in the game.

30 minutes ago, Blue Pike said:

Very well put.Seems like the logical place for you to retire to.Dont know if it’s true but once got told they used to play RL before the Nazis invaded ,then after the war went Rugby union.Remember going to POR in the early 80s I think when Fev played their National Team who were on a tour and it was one of the most dirtiest opponents I have ever seen.Think we won but forgot due to the violence in the game.

As I understand it ,it was during the war, not after it that the Vichy government outlawed RL and the RU took over all their assets. Memory not the best but all in all the Vichy government went hand in hand with the Nazis. I think Robin meant 'seized' not 'ceased'. But as an oldy I could be wrong.

2 hours ago, jamescolin said:

As I understand it ,it was during the war, not after it that the Vichy government outlawed RL and the RU took over all their assets. Memory not the best but all in all the Vichy government went hand in hand with the Nazis. I think Robin meant 'seized' not 'ceased'. But as an oldy I could be wrong.

I meant seized.... but posting quickly whilst eating one huge ice cream in Uzès this afternoon???

Archived