Nigel woods gravy train rolls into Singapore

I see the international federation meet in Singapore this week. For a sport that lacks much needed funds are these trips really necessary? It's 2019 and regardless of location it's very easy for people to connect with each other, wouldn't a conference call be more sufficient? According to the international federation website there are 10 board members. To get these to Singapore would really come at some cost. We have developing nations who are desperate for funding, we have players who travel to world cups to put on a show virtually for free....... Ect to me this is nothing but an unnecessary trip what could have been done with more affordable channels. I doubt anyone on these trips will have to dip into their own pockets either. Its wasted ££ that could have been saved or used in better ways and let's be honest Big Nige won't be sitting in cattle class will he?? 

Screenshot_20190606_092513.jpg

Screenshot_20190606_092513.jpg

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I'm sure most of the work done is done remotely, sometimes you need that face to face contact. 

beat me to it. Face to face can be far more productive. 

From what I see, they seem to try and keep costs reduced by meeting around key events, I don't think it is an issue. 

1 minute ago, Number 16 said:

They need to meet on a regular basis, if only to unpick everything that had been agreed at previous meetings... ?

I think this is part of my frustration. The fact that we have had an international federation for a while yet we have absolutely no idea what's happening fixture wise in 2020 and we only found out the GB tour details in March. If the federation actually appeared to be a well directed and forward thinking organisation then I would have no issue. 

24 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

I think this is part of my frustration. The fact that we have had an international federation for a while yet we have absolutely no idea what's happening fixture wise in 2020 and we only found out the GB tour details in March. If the federation actually appeared to be a well directed and forward thinking organisation then I would have no issue. 

If your looking for evidence on the last sentence then that could be a long wait.  But, time will tell.  Have we seen clear indication since Wood/ Grant got involved?  Don’t know.

What I would like to see are press releases on what was discussed, plans, concerns, growth, demise etc from the meetings.  Wood championed transparency, so let’s see it.

35 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

What shouldn't be overlooked is that since the RLIF became more of a proper thing, we now have a real structure in place for World Cups. A regular cycle and a plan for them. They have also been driving forward secondary stuff which has been a challenge due to the key stakeholders' reluctance.

Things like a Great Britain tour of New Zealand should have nowt to do with the RLIF.

16 minutes ago, Number 16 said:

And if it was well directed and forward thinking concerns about cost wouldn't be our first thought.

Speaking of which, how do they fly; economy, premium or business? There's no need for it to be anything other than the cheapest.

Costs should be sensible, but that doesn't mean everything should just be the cheapest available.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

You ever tried to do work on a 12 hour flight in economy? You ever tried to lead a meeting after 12hrs in economy?

If you want people to do good work, you need to be a good employer. 

Asking people to travel thousands of miles in economy and putting them in a crappy hotel does not get and keep  good employees.

People complain that everything we do is cheap and cheerful, and then want everything we do to be cheap and cheerful.

Importantly it’s neutral territory for the biggest RLIF members.

It is frankly laughable that posters should be trying to pick apart their travel plans and suggesting ways they could have economised, as if that is the main consideration.  

There are 2 RLIF face to face board meetings. The second will be scheduled to coincide with the AGM, in Sydney during the end of year international window. As we all know, there have been key changes to the RLIF constitution recently, one of which is the move to appoint 3 independent directors. This is a very important step forward for the game internationally. Plus, of course, there are the 9s and World Cups, both of which are RLIF matters. Plus, the RLIF supports the growth across the international game in all countries. There are currently over 20 signed up full members, with nearly as many again in the pipeline. For those of us who remember our excitement about PNG being the new kid on the block, to supplement GB, France, Oz and NZ, this represents fantastic growth. 

More can be done, and will be done, but for a fledgling organisation the RLIF faced with many challenges (and opportunities), it is doing fine. A face to face board meeting in Singapore should be welcomed. 

51 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

You ever tried to do work on a 12 hour flight in economy? You ever tried to lead a meeting after 12hrs in economy?

If you want people to do good work, you need to be a good employer. 

Asking people to travel thousands of miles in economy and putting them in a crappy hotel does not get and keep  good employees.

most companies i have worked for have a cut off point where you automatically go business.. not normally all that high.. probably a transatlantic equivalent time.

5 minutes ago, Henson Park Old Firm said:

How can you have a international meeting in a country that doesn't even play your sport?

Because they are holding meetings, not playing the sport.

It is a logistical thing.

56 minutes ago, Celt said:

Indeed.... the thought of 13 hour economy class flights is only going to attract the very best level of executives to apply for these rolls.

Does it matter if we don't even try to get the very best executives to these roles?

11 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

A brilliant Freudian slip. 

Indeed.   Rolls of the sausage variety ?

On a more serious note, there’s some good points made in this thread on both sides of the argument.

However, having spent a considerable amount of time in Singapore I can totally understand why some would question the location.   Unless the NRL have decided to foot the bill I can’t see how the tremendous costs of such a stay can be justified when the British game is dwindling.

A trip to Aus could have been tied in with a bit of publicity at a much reduced cost.

Sure they had it in Hawaii once (quite a few years ago), must say this does seem to be a bit of a jolly.

Not taking the Mickey, but I really wouldn't want to be sat next to Nigel in Economy Class.

55 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

Unless the NRL have decided to foot the bill I can’t see how the tremendous costs of such a stay can be justified when the British game is dwindling.

I'm not sure a) that is true, and b) how it is relevant if it was.

50 minutes ago, Whippet13 said:

Sure they had it in Hawaii once (quite a few years ago), must say this does seem to be a bit of a jolly.

Not taking the Mickey, but I really wouldn't want to be sat next to Nigel in Economy Class.

I very much doubt he will be in economy. Wasnt it on a flight he met the Dr and talked him into buying a SL club? That probably gives the clue that he flys business/first class. 

Archived