Nigel woods gravy train rolls into Singapore

1 hour ago, Dave T said:

I'm not sure a) that is true, and b) how it is relevant if it was.

(a) Depends how we define dwindling I suppose, but personally I don’t see an immediately bright future for British RL with the TV deal negotiations coming up and other sports accelerating away from us in both financial and participation terms.   Despite the North American adventure we seem to be becoming even more regional and with an almost clandestine existence in the Nation’s capital where the national media reside.

Our current fan base is more susceptible to economic downturns than other sports and that likely means less income for clubs, combined with probably less income from the TV deal.   We struggle to get sponsors for our flagship competition.

(b) The British game is being represented on the RLIF by some of it’s leaders.   I don’t know what proportion of the RLIF costs we stump up for, but in terms of leadership I’d expect these individuals to set an example and for every cost to be justifiable.   We simply don’t have spare cash to be frittered away on unnecessary expenses.   So for me I’m afraid it certainly is relevant, unless of course it’s covered by a sponsor such as Singapore Banks or the airline.   I don’t think we have such luxuries at our disposal though.

====

I’m not being a miserable nay-sayer Dave, I’m just being sensible.   At this stage of our existence, RL needs a Michael O’Leary not a bunch of Philip Green’s.

If we are careful with our cash we may just be able to employ a decent marketing team for British RL.

20 minutes ago, Cheshire Setter said:

(a) Depends how we define dwindling I suppose, but personally I don’t see an immediately bright future for British RL with the TV deal negotiations coming up and other sports accelerating away from us in both financial and participation terms.   Despite the North American adventure we seem to be becoming even more regional and with an almost clandestine existence in the Nation’s capital where the national media reside.

Our current fan base is more susceptible to economic downturns than other sports and that likely means less income for clubs, combined with probably less income from the TV deal.   We struggle to get sponsors for our flagship competition.

(b) The British game is being represented on the RLIF by some of it’s leaders.   I don’t know what proportion of the RLIF costs we stump up for, but in terms of leadership I’d expect these individuals to set an example and for every cost to be justifiable.   We simply don’t have spare cash to be frittered away on unnecessary expenses.   So for me I’m afraid it certainly is relevant, unless of course it’s covered by a sponsor such as Singapore Banks or the airline.   I don’t think we have such luxuries at our disposal though.

====

I’m not being a miserable nay-sayer Dave, I’m just being sensible.   At this stage of our existence, RL needs a Michael O’Leary not a bunch of Philip Green’s.

If we are careful with our cash we may just be able to employ a decent marketing team for British RL.

a) as you say, that depends on your outlook. There is plenty I am not happy with, but I really think it is overly negative to describe the British game as dwindling.

b) Which RFL members are attending this meeting?

Why do you describe these costs as unnecessary?

Why is an RLIF meeting described as a luxury? I want them to meet more and more. We should be seeing investment in a world governing body as a very worthwhile investment.

This could have been held in London with a lot more expense, but nobody would have said anything. There may be a good reason for Singapore, it may just be a useful neutral location. I am supportive of us not holding meetings in Oz, England or NZ every time - we need to break the mentality that the big 3 run everything.

And maybe there are things going on in Singapore, maybe there are contacts, who knows, but it is bizarre to criticise an RLIF meeting for costs just based on the location.

10 hours ago, DoubleD said:

I hope they’ve stocked up the buffet 

He has slimmed down considerably. 

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

I can confirm they fly business class. 

It was hard for me to swallow when I first heard because I could probably get the game started in a brand new nation for the cost of one person's flights each year.

I don't think the RLIF does enough to warrant 2 meetings flying across the world each year.

new rise.jpg

20 hours ago, Whippet13 said:

must say this does seem to be a bit of a jolly.

Singapore is not a place I would think of as a place for a jolly.

Boring place!!

On 06/06/2019 at 09:49, saintspete83 said:

I see the international federation meet in Singapore this week. For a sport that lacks much needed funds are these trips really necessary? It's 2019 and regardless of location it's very easy for people to connect with each other, wouldn't a conference call be more sufficient? According to the international federation website there are 10 board members. To get these to Singapore would really come at some cost. We have developing nations who are desperate for funding, we have players who travel to world cups to put on a show virtually for free....... Ect to me this is nothing but an unnecessary trip what could have been done with more affordable channels. I doubt anyone on these trips will have to dip into their own pockets either. Its wasted ££ that could have been saved or used in better ways and let's be honest Big Nige won't be sitting in cattle class will he?? 

Screenshot_20190606_092513.jpg

Screenshot_20190606_092513.jpg

Only reason the RLIF exists its a jobs for the boys club for people that are even to useless to work at the RFL and NRL.

Most pointless thread ever.  50% are in Australasia, 50% in Europe, and they decided to meet halfway.  Cost of this will be roughly the same as it would have been had they held it in the UK or Aus.  So the OP is blowing up over nothing.

Archived