The cat's miaow

I didn't know cheetahs could purr and miaow  like domestic cats, but they can!

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

18 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I didn't know cheetahs could purr and miaow  like domestic cats, but they can!

I suspect we are seeing a cub. Domestic animals (ourselves included) show retarded maturity. The adult domestic cat retaining its purr is an example of this.  

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

Cats (Felidae) are divided into two sub families, the Felinae and the Pantherinae

The Felinae branch can all purr and miaow because of the shape of their larynx.   They include domestic moggies and cheetahs.   

The Pantherinae branch contains cats like lions and tigers.   They can all roar.   They can actually purr as well, but only when they exhale. 

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

1 hour ago, Bob8 said:

I suspect we are seeing a cub. Domestic animals (ourselves included) show retarded maturity. The adult domestic cat retaining its purr is an example of this.  

All cats that can purr do so, it’s not an age thing. 

My cat, Monty, shows retarded maturity.   The mardy little so and so is definitely stuck in obnoxious adolescence.

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

2 minutes ago, Steve May said:

Cats (Felidae) are divided into two sub families, the Felinae and the Pantherinae

The Felinae branch can all purr and miaow because of the shape of their larynx.   They include domestic moggies and cheetahs.   

The Pantherinae branch contains cats like lions and tigers.   They can all roar.   They can actually purr as well, but only when they exhale. 

I knew that cheetahs were a different family to lions, tigers, leopards etc.  But I didn't know they could do this.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

9 minutes ago, Trojan said:

I knew that cheetahs were a different family to lions, tigers, leopards etc.  But I didn't know they could do this.

It is very cool. 

Not all the cats have slitted eyes either.   Some have round eyes, but I can’t remember which ones.  

16 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

If you creep up on two cats and they don’t notice you, listen carefully to them.   They only miaow and purr at humans.  Amongst themselves they speak Afrikaans.

1 hour ago, Steve May said:

All cats that can purr do so, it’s not an age thing. 

My cat, Monty, shows retarded maturity.   The mardy little so and so is definitely stuck in obnoxious adolescence.

Sorry, I was unclear. Human maturity is limited compared to that of chimpanzees, it makes us more social and look more infantile. 

So it is with dogs compared to wolves and with domestic cats. It is not an age thing with the individual.  

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

2 hours ago, Steve May said:

If you creep up on two cats and they don’t notice you, listen carefully to them.   They only miaow and purr at humans.  Amongst themselves they speak Afrikaans.

our late cat used to sit next to you when you were on the phone and join in.

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

our late cat used to sit next to you when you were on the phone and join in.

I never noticed him.  

On 07/06/2019 at 16:32, CrushersForever said:

? We don't use that word anymore! You should say that the cat is "special".

Actualy its "Complex Needs" now you know ?

Archived