And Another One

9 minutes ago, Red Willow said:

Now Jake Bibby signs for Wigan.

Last one out turn off the lights

Just don't mention it on Devil Talk and you'll be alright.

Ian Blease did say there was stuff to look forward to, but a general statement doesn't help much as players up sticks from a competitive side.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

As a side note, there has been some outstanding recruitment news coming out of Wigan today alongside Bibby. New signing Mitch Clarke described as one of SL's 'most destructive forwards' and a two year extension for Clubb being a particular highlight ?

18 minutes ago, Moove said:

As a side note, there has been some outstanding recruitment news coming out of Wigan today alongside Bibby. New signing Mitch Clarke described as one of SL's 'most destructive forwards' and a two year extension for Clubb being a particular highlight ?

Bibby is a promising talent and I actually quite like Clarke, but neither are players that you are going to build a side around. They aren't bad signings if they are just coming in to bolster the squad, but they aren't going to help them compete for silverware again.

13 minutes ago, MZH said:

Bibby is a promising talent and I actually quite like Clarke, but neither are players that you are going to build a side around. They aren't bad signings if they are just coming in to bolster the squad, but they aren't going to help them compete for silverware again.

I can't last remember when 'news' coming out of the Wigan club was so lacklustre and mundane, this is most definatley not the norm of the pace setters they have been for a very very long time, I can't see that they will emulate the team of the early 80's when they spent time in the second division but something seems clearly amiss.

2 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

I can't last remember when 'news' coming out of the Wigan club was so lacklustre and mundane, this is most definatley not the norm of the pace setters they have been for a very very long time, I can't see that they will emulate the team of the early 80's when they spent time in the second division but something seems clearly amiss.

I'm only just reading about what happened with the announcements. A big build up on social media for Bibby, Clarke and contract extensions to a few average players. Apparently the finale was an extension for Hankinson. Got to be pretty underwhelming if you are a Wigan fan.

10 minutes ago, MZH said:

I'm only just reading about what happened with the announcements. A big build up on social media for Bibby, Clarke and contract extensions to a few average players. Apparently the finale was an extension for Hankinson. Got to be pretty underwhelming if you are a Wigan fan.

Just typical Lenaghan signings,uninspiring solid players,the only plus point I can see is that they replace Tautai and Sarginson.

Clubb has been a decent player over the last few years but is increasingly injury prone and means he's slower than a 3 legged cart horse these days and Hankinson is merely a squad player who looks like he'll never be quite good enough.

Massive PR disaster from the Wigan club.

The signings, bar Clark, are for next season's  reserve squad. The extensions including Clubb are the same.

We know Williams is leaving and there is a head coach vacancy for 2020. Escare is rumoured to be signing for Toronto and Sarginson is thinking about returning south for family reasons. Leuluai may retire, may not. None of the players mentioned today are replacements for those mentioned.

This is a roll call for the reserves which I'm perfectly ok with as SL/NRL quality signings are to follow.

To talk up today's announcements has been a PR disaster.

43 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Massive PR disaster from the Wigan club.

The signings, bar Clark, are for next season's  reserve squad. The extensions including Clubb are the same.

We know Williams is leaving and there is a head coach vacancy for 2020. Escare is rumoured to be signing for Toronto and Sarginson is thinking about returning south for family reasons. Leuluai may retire, may not. None of the players mentioned today are replacements for those mentioned.

This is a roll call for the reserves which I'm perfectly ok with as SL/NRL quality signings are to follow.

To talk up today's announcements has been a PR disaster.

Possibly but I’ve watched Wigan’s ins and out over the last few years. Always getting the feeling that there’s a couple of big signings to come but they never seem to materialise. 

Forgive me but I have thought and felt for several years that Leneghan is not a great fit for both Wigan and Super League.

Historically after a World Club Series he favoured keeping the salary cap at the then and still current pitiful level. Is it now £2.1(+) million? RU/NFL can pay £6million?

Not all clubs need pay the full cap however good players cost money. Increase the cap to  perhaps as high as £10 million and if certain clubs can afford it: good luck to them? The cap is and has always been for me a restriction of trade.

I am also happy for clubs to be self financing ala Toronto.

Leneghan seems reluctant to spend on players and quality players will always cost money.

He favours a policy of signing players back particularly from the NRL. I wish to point out however that I was delighted when Samkins returned to Wigan.

Wigan I believe need to own their own ground in the future as they have few assets. I dislike them being tennants at a football ground. How much would Bolton cost as a result of them being in liquidation?

I have nothing against Leneghan personally but I think my home town team/club and Super League could do with someone better considering the influence he would appear to possess.

Archived