Swinton player accuses Toronto owner of racial abuse

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just seen this posted on Twitter. Had to re-read it a couple of times just to make sure I understood who said what. Will be interesting to see how far this goes, especially in Canada where they seem very liberal and inclusive to everyone

I completely back Jose if he feels he’s been racially abused, but Twitter probably isn’t the arena to share it initially. He should have gone to the governing body with this in my opinion. 

8 minutes ago, Cdd said:

I completely back Jose if he feels he’s been racially abused, but Twitter probably isn’t the arena to share it initially. He should have gone to the governing body with this in my opinion. 

I would hope he has done that as well. They should really talk to Argyle and see what he has to say. No place for this in our sport 

8 minutes ago, Cdd said:

Who would have done what .....

Sad to say I have seen casual racism  re-entered the work place and you complain against at your own detriment.

5 minutes ago, clogdance said:

Who knows what any of us would do in a similar situation i.e. resort to violence, ignore it, report it, let social media know....etc

Rough him up a little?????

25 minutes ago, ojx said:

a very bad attempt at humour.

I'd agree. I've had occasions where attempted humour on my part hasn't worked. Admittedly not on this subject but I have thought later "Why did I say that?" The problem is if something is said that comes across as racially prejudiced or homophobic, then it goes further than my failed attempts at humour. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

Argyle has apologized in his statement..in damage control mode.  It was poorly said and I agree with Ray Cee and ojx that it is being overblown.   Hard to place this in the 'abuse' category but it was poorly done.

1 hour ago, ojx said:

Storm ..  teacup.

"do they allow black people in Swinton"  ... just a very bad attempt at humour.

You may think that way if you are a young or middle aged white bloke (I'm one myself), I'm not so sure you would as a person of colour or other minority. It's an attempt at humour, obviously it failed quite badly. But as an owner of a team in what is a sport that labels itself as an inclusive sport, it really is quite poor and there should be consequences to this attempted humour if true.

20 minutes ago, Newguy said:

You may think that way if you are a young or middle aged white bloke (I'm one myself), I'm not so sure you would as a person of colour or other minority. It's an attempt at humour, obviously it failed quite badly. But as an owner of a team in what is a sport that labels itself as an inclusive sport, it really is quite poor and there should be consequences to this attempted humour if true.

Snowflakes these days! I've been called much worse without winging on social media.

Here’s Argyle’s statement. Fair play, at least he hasn’t tried to deny it or excuse it or say it was a poor attempt at a joke, but neither does he acknowledge any kind of racism

4C0ECB36-C43D-4D42-8213-8C5D28B04D68.thumb.png.e3f7c5f09ff0d5ea92a0750adff1baf5.png

4 hours ago, ojx said:

Snowflakes these days! I've been called much worse without winging on social media.

That's ok then,let's all crack on with being racist and hope nobody whinges about it.

6 hours ago, ojx said:

Storm ..  teacup.

"do they allow black people in Swinton"  ... just a very bad attempt at humour.

Yep, more a dig at Swinton than at him.  I'm Canadian and I can safely say that racial banter is a thing here. 

When I was in the Army we used to go at each other all the time like this.  Doesn't make it right but it is what it is.  One of my Corporals was from Peru and we would pretend we didn't know where it was and say "that's in Mexico right? So you're Mexican".  South Americans hate Mexicans.

No doubt Argyle had probably put back a few pints and thought he was being funny. 

Mea Culpa!

Just now, deluded pom? said:

Is it another example of some of the views held by some Australians as we have seen in the thread about the Australian national anthem?

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest based on my admittedly limited time spent in Oz.

Seems it is fine in Canada too, the whole bantz based on skin colour thing!

1 minute ago, Dave T said:

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest based on my admittedly limited time spent in Oz.

Seems it is fine in Canada too, the whole bantz based on skin colour thing!

It's a thing here, not saying it's right and people are changing slowly but it is what it is.

Just now, CanadianRugger said:

It's a thing here, not saying it's right and people are changing slowly but it is what it is.

Saying 'it is what it is' is just bang wrong.

As a bare minimum TWP fans should condemn it when discussing it in places like this.

Dave T, I hardly think that racial related 'bantz' does not take place in the UK, the English speaking world  has variations of terrible people who use stereotypes to belittle others, let's not get on our high horses here.

Archived