The Play Offs 2019

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Looking at how the play offs are organised it would be great if we could finish 3rd. That way you get 2 bites at the cherry. Whilst Toronto look a class apart, for me it’s not beyond any of the other teams reaching the final.

they didn't look a class apart when we played them

After all the adjustments and player fallout of last year I would like like I have past posted a while ago that I would have been happy with a mid table finish but I am confident for a top five finish.

6 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Looking at how the play offs are organised it would be great if we could finish 3rd. That way you get 2 bites at the cherry. Whilst Toronto look a class apart, for me it’s not beyond any of the other teams reaching the final.

Not going to disagree with you at all, but there was a thing when RL had the Top5 system previously that said that 3rd is a curse because you start with 2nd away and if you lose you play 4th or 5th coming off a win. 

19 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

Second place would be better.?

2 minutes ago, marklaspalmas said:

Assuming the higher placed club always wins:

Week 1: 1 rest, 2v3, 4v5

Week 2: 1v2, 3v4

Week 3: 2v3

Week 4: 1v2

It's a good system.

In theory the higher placed team gets home advantage. However IF in week 1 team 3 beats team 2 and then they happen to meet again in week 3, would team 3 have the home advantage for beating them earlier or would team 2 have home advantage again?

57 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

In theory the higher placed team gets home advantage. However IF in week 1 team 3 beats team 2 and then they happen to meet again in week 3, would team 3 have the home advantage for beating them earlier or would team 2 have home advantage again?

Not sure, but I think the latter. 

See link here: https://www.rugby-league.com/2019_structure

In here it states:

Round 3

Preliminary Final: Loser of SF2 v Winner of SF1

If you assume that the first team is the home team then if week 1 team 3 beats team 2 and they meet again in week 3 then team 3 should get the home advantage.

I'm sure I'll think of something funny to say soon.

winner of 2nd v 3rd  plays 1st win that you go straight to final

loser of 2nd v 3rd  play the winner 4th and 5th winner  then plays the loser of the game between 1st and winner of 2nd v 3rd gets to final simples

including the final all games will be played at the home of the team with the higher league ranking 

18 hours ago, POR said:

winner of 2nd v 3rd  plays 1st win that you go straight to final

loser of 2nd v 3rd  play the winner 4th and 5th winner  then plays the loser of the game between 1st and winner of 2nd v 3rd gets to final simples

including the final all games will be played at the home of the team with the higher league ranking 

POR,

where does the statement about the home advantage come from, because I can’t find it anywhere.

the reason that I ask is that if this is the case then there is no advantage for the team finishing 3rd winning their 1st game. Imagine this scenario based on what you state/quote:

final league placing:

1. Toronto

2. Toulouse

3. Fev

then week 1 Fev go to Toulouse and win, week 2 go to Toronto  and lose, week 3 go to Toulouse  and win, then to the Final in Toronto again. So no home games for finishing 3rd where the team finishing 4th gets a home game.

1 hour ago, The Grinder said:

POR,

where does the statement about the home advantage come from, because I can’t find it anywhere.

the reason that I ask is that if this is the case then there is no advantage for the team finishing 3rd winning their 1st game. Imagine this scenario based on what you state/quote:

final league placing:

1. Toronto

2. Toulouse

3. Fev

then week 1 Fev go to Toulouse and win, week 2 go to Toronto  and lose, week 3 go to Toulouse  and win, then to the Final in Toronto again. So no home games for finishing 3rd where the team finishing 4th gets a home game.

2019 Tier 1-3 Operational Rules state that the highest ranked team has home advantage in all rounds (unless the RFL rule otherwise, a clause needed to allow for unforeseen circumstances).

Edit: https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/2019-operational-rules-tiers-1-3/mobile/index.html Page 13, 1st paragraph.

52 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

POR,

grinder at the time rimmer said play offs will follow standard rugby league rules so i assumed it would be like it always was  high v low  and LTS has quoted the 2019 Tier 1-3 Operational Rules rules however  after searching here there and everywhere found this on batley bulldogs web site 

Round 1

Elimination Final: 4th v 5th

Qualifying Final: 2nd v 3rd

Round 2

1st Semi-Final: Loser of QF v Winner of EF

2nd Semi-Final: 1st v Winner of QF

Round 3

Final

Winner of 2nd Semi-Final v Winner of Preliminary Final 

so if batley have got it right then if FEV come 2nd  or 3rd and lose Qualifying Final: we would play  1st Semi-Final: at home  lose we're out win  then  we play  Preliminary Final away lose and we're out win and play  final away

'win Qualifying Final play 2nd Semi-Final:  away lose 2nd Semi-Final:  play  Preliminary Final: at home lose  we're out win and play  final away

win Qualifying Final play 2nd Semi-Final:  away  win 2nd Semi-Final play final at home  happy days

win  Qualifying Final and then 2nd Semi-Final the  Championship Play-Off Final: will be played at FEV HAPPY DAYS ???

52 minutes ago, POR said:

grinder at the time rimmer said play offs will follow standard rugby league rules so i assumed it would be like it always was  high v low  and LTS has quoted the 2019 Tier 1-3 Operational Rules rules however  after searching here there and everywhere found this on batley bulldogs web site 

Round 1

Elimination Final: 4th v 5th

Qualifying Final: 2nd v 3rd

Round 2

1st Semi-Final: Loser of QF v Winner of EF

2nd Semi-Final: 1st v Winner of QF

Round 3

Final

Winner of 2nd Semi-Final v Winner of Preliminary Final 

so if batley have got it right then if FEV come 2nd  or 3rd and lose Qualifying Final: we would play  1st Semi-Final: at home  lose we're out win  then  we play  Preliminary Final away lose and we're out win and play  final away

'win Qualifying Final play 2nd Semi-Final:  away lose 2nd Semi-Final:  play  Preliminary Final: at home lose  we're out win and play  final away

win Qualifying Final play 2nd Semi-Final:  away  win 2nd Semi-Final play final at home  happy days

win  Qualifying Final and then 2nd Semi-Final the  Championship Play-Off Final: will be played at FEV HAPPY DAYS ???

So the final isn’t at a neutral venue as per the previous method?.

4 hours ago, Monkeymagic22 said:

So the final isn’t at a neutral venue as per the previous method?.

As Gooleboy said earlier, LETS JUST GET THERE, we are only 2 points off seventh place as things stand, somebody has to be realistic ?

23 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

2019 Tier 1-3 Operational Rules state that the highest ranked team has home advantage in all rounds (unless the RFL rule otherwise, a clause needed to allow for unforeseen circumstances).

Edit: https://www.rugby-league.com/flipbooks/2019-operational-rules-tiers-1-3/mobile/index.html Page 13, 1st paragraph.

LTS,

Thanks for this I had seen this earlier and read the highlighted piece. It is this than makes me think that this is not necessarily league position. If the intention was that it is based purely on league position this could have been written as "...the team with the highest league placing has home advantage in all rounds...", which would be unambiguous.

Given that it is not written that way makes me think that the "highest ranked team" is based on the place within the playoff system its self, which for the first round is based on league positions, but there after is based on winners and losers in each round.

As I stated above if it is based purely on league placings then there is no advantage for the team finishing 3rd in the league winning their first game since they will never get a home game, which just feels wrong to me.

2 hours ago, The Grinder said:

LTS,

Thanks for this I had seen this earlier and read the highlighted piece. It is this than makes me think that this is not necessarily league position. If the intention was that it is based purely on league position this could have been written as "...the team with the highest league placing has home advantage in all rounds...", which would be unambiguous.

Given that it is not written that way makes me think that the "highest ranked team" is based on the place within the playoff system its self, which for the first round is based on league positions, but there after is based on winners and losers in each round.

As I stated above if it is based purely on league placings then there is no advantage for the team finishing 3rd in the league winning their first game since they will never get a home game, which just feels wrong to me.

Clubs go into these play offs ranked 1 to 5 and keep that ranking throughout.

6 hours ago, fevtom said:

This is why I'm not really a fan of the five team play off, I doubt majority of fans at any given game really know how it works.

Hopefully we'll find out lol. 

Archived