Is this the start of youth Grassroots in Canada

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GUBRATS said:

Other than the excellent interest shown by the attendees at Lamport , perhaps the extra media pages we have seen due to their participation could be argued as another ( although as I've put , how much better would that have been with a couple of genuine Canadians in the team) positive , other than that , please tell us 

Thanks for your reply.

You have already listed a couple but would also add;

Exposure 

Investors 

Sponsorship 

Location, City brand 

Tv timeslot

20 odd more opportunities for players to play and to make a living off playing rl

Do I need to continue.

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

So because they have a ' positive attitude ' they are going to save our world ? Seriously ?

Now that's a prime sample of why he's on ignore who said "they are going to save our world " who mentioned anything like that at all? But if it's a simple choice, then yes I'd rather have their positive impact and optimistic outlook than the Marvin stalwarts of TGG. Not because I think they love RL more but because they make it fun rather than funereal. They make it seem worth getting up in the morning instead of seaching for your bottle of tablets or copious amounts of alcohol. They don't spend all their time cellebrating when things go wrong.

The simple item of a few Canadian kids playing our game for the first time is turned into a dirge, and made as  melancholly as a funeral parlour on a Wednesday in February in Skegness.

Other than that they're hilarious and can't be faulted!

30 more years, 30 more years!

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

2 hours ago, Cowardly Fan said:

Who said that? 

I just contested when you said the positives were limited. It's possible for them to be both a plus for SL and not single handedly save the sport. 

No one said that, its his thing, just makes up rubbish as he has some weird pathological fear of Toronto, quite sad really. 

2 hours ago, bird said:

Is this the start of grass roots rugby league development in Canada?

Hopefully this is the beginning of a great future for RL in Canada , along with all the youth festivals and game day effort they are making it certainly looks positive at the moment. The more people and kids playing our great game the better, surely. I can't see how anyone can argue against that, but they will. 

14 minutes ago, dkw said:

Hopefully this is the beginning of a great future for RL in Canada , along with all the youth festivals and game day effort they are making it certainly looks positive at the moment. The more people and kids playing our great game the better, surely. I can't see how anyone can argue against that, but they will. 

It's good to note positive reaction to the original post.

There is otherwise some of the usual deflection on this thread, so that a derogatory implication of a few kids playing RL permeates. In doing so, the other goods news of two brand new amatuer rugby league clubs has become lost.

I wish people would stop being so negative about Toronto, the extra publicity alone has been good for the game,

Lets hope this is the start of a grass roots base in Canada and they can produce home grown players for the future,

An interesting  interview on talksport about the Toronto Raptors , about how the whole of Canada back them were their own nationals sports (with various teams across canada) don't get a similar national spread. This is because they are the only Canadian team in a foreign sport, maybe the wolfpack can generate this support eventually. 

6 hours ago, Omott91 said:

Thanks for your reply.

You have already listed a couple but would also add;

Exposure 

Investors 

Sponsorship 

Location, City brand 

Tv timeslot

20 odd more opportunities for players to play and to make a living off playing rl

Do I need to continue.

Exposure is same as media attention , investors and sponsorship are essentially the same , even location is part of general extra media interest 

TV timeslot ? Well yes as long as somebody else is paying for the production , we have had Saturday tea time games before 

Yes agree 30 more full time pay cheques for RL players ( as long as they don't displace a current full time team that then reverts to part time ,) 

Please do 

18 hours ago, dkw said:

Hopefully this is the beginning of a great future for RL in Canada , along with all the youth festivals and game day effort they are making it certainly looks positive at the moment. The more people and kids playing our great game the better, surely. I can't see how anyone can argue against that.

Nobody is arguing against that. The argument isn’t about whether we should embrace Canadian RL, it is purely about whether clubs like TWP should take Super league places. You need to stop jumping to conclusions, think about what is being said, and stop being the hard man behind a bedroom keyboard and a false name.

In year two of TWP do you think it was “positive” that Ryan Burroughs. Joe Eichner and Tom Dempsey who are quality North American RL players should have been sacked by Mr. Argyle? Don’t duck this question with insults man. Think about it. 

I posted long ago in support of TWP using their guest position in the Championship to sit there at the second level of Northern Hemisphere RL and concentrate hard on being open to anybody across that continent to go along to TWP and try out for a pro contract. I urged the club to value people like Quin Ngwati and accept that their membership of the Championship here was about developing the North American game and not sacking North American players, not bothering to think about Junior development, but just buy in the best players $$Billionaire Argyle could pay to realise his personal dream.

It may be, I do not know, that Perez left because of this. If it was, fair play to Perez but he has to stop talking rubbish about North America saving the game here. The reason I fell out with NA RL fans on this site, is that none of them were really interested in Canadian development, they were all behind Argyle buying an English/Aussie squad and taking them to Superleague as soon as possible. Think man…..

22 hours ago, Cowardly Fan said:

I found the start a bit surprising, as I think TWP offer more positives (and negatives) than any of the teams that could join SL.  

Merchandise..sponsorships...media coverage...beer garden...extra TV time slots........... 

For goodness sake open your mind to reality and accept the criteria for entry to Superlague is what Suprerleague  state it is and what Mr. Perez agrees it is. The development of new quality players and a NATV contract to share amongst the clubs.

The criteria you use are irrelevant, Argylle can simply write a cheque worth x100 times the things you state are “positives”. Your so desperate to realise  your pipedream (that may end in tears – remember the farce of Wire stuffing a petulant TWP last year) you invent any old garbage. 

TWP have a chance of promotion (dependant on SL bosses say so), but the only thing that could drive that is a $$Billionaires wallet. There is nothing else of any value at all in Canada at this time, that justifies booting out of SL an English club in return.... 

That's what people all forget, put a manufactured club in SL and remove a proper one that develops players and helps underpin SKYTV and it's a minus.

Is this the start of youth Grassroots in Canada?

I added the question mark and this is just a reminder of the thread subject so when the topic is taken off somewhere over the rainbow maybe we can bring it back. When we do this it exposes those who wallow in a negativity of their own making.I suspect they're hoping to make all these expansion threads untenable for the admin, so they'll be removed.As I said he's on ignore for me but I can see there's a post. It's not about his views it's all about the atmosphere it creates. Also the sport has plenty of real problems without imaginary ones.

There are Canadian Kids playing RL ! Does anyone have any pictures or links to put on here?

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

3 hours ago, Oxford said:

Is this the start of youth Grassroots in Canada?

I added the question mark and this is just a reminder of the thread subject so when the topic is taken off somewhere over the rainbow maybe we can bring it back. When we do this it exposes those who wallow in a negativity of their own making.I suspect they're hoping to make all these expansion threads untenable for the admin, so they'll be removed.As I said he's on ignore for me but I can see there's a post. It's not about his views it's all about the atmosphere it creates. Also the sport has plenty of real problems without imaginary ones.

There are Canadian Kids playing RL ! Does anyone have any pictures or links to put on here?

I suggest you go back and reread the 1 at page of this thread , it consisted of good positive words about the playing of junior RL in and around Toronto , a general discussion of the distances involved 

THEN , YOU made reference to Parkside , as did others , So don't try and blame a thread drifting when it was YOU that did exactly that to introduce the negativity you are now proclaiming 

On 07/06/2019 at 21:49, North but south said:

The big news is that published today we have the inaugural BC High School Challenge Cup. Robert McMath Secondary will take on Point Grey Secondary in the first high school rugby league game in Canada! Sponsored by the Toronto wolfpack, slightly over shadowed today. 

Also the Georgina Griffins RLFC (http://www.georginagriffinsrlfc.ca/) have been around for a few months, and even invited to play during the interval at the Americas 9s. since then the Haldimand Wolfpack RLFC  (http://www.haldimandwolfpack.com) have started. The Iroquois Roots Rugby have started to produce players for the Canadian 9s and the Women team, they seem to have a relationship with the CRL and are even advertising tryouts via the CRL facebook page.

Here 

On 07/06/2019 at 22:22, Manxmanc said:

What's interesting about the new clubs in Georgina and Haldimand is their distance from Toronto. I'm sure Canadian posters will confirm more accurate distances, but on the map they look to be about 40 and 60 miles distant respectively. It's good to see, and it may be that a critical mass of clubs in the Toronto region could result in rapid development. 

On the school's development,  I have the impression that BC has traditionally been where the RL action is in Canada, well before TWP. However, I haven't heard much in recent times.

Here

On 07/06/2019 at 22:58, Big Picture said:

You're very close with those distances, from Google maps I'd put Georgina about 80-90 km (this Canadian doesn't do primitive measurements ;)) from downtown Toronto — nearby Barrie is exactly 100 km north of Toronto.  Re Haldimand, I suppose that depends on where in Haldimand County one is speaking of; nearby Brantford is exactly 100 km west of Toronto but further west, so anywhere in Haldimand would be about the same as that.

Here

On 07/06/2019 at 23:28, scotchy1 said:

I honestly think people underestimate what a impact the Wolfpack are having

This is real. There are kids playing high school games in canads dreaming of playing for a Toronto side in super league. 

How absolutely wonderful

Here

On 08/06/2019 at 10:38, Oxford said:

It's alright for you lot but I bet not one of you has spared a thought for poor Parky and the loss of one his pet betes noires.

I know I used a French term there the EU made me do it!

Then YOU join the debate 

No congrats , no positive statement , just a petty ' dig ' at another board member 

On 08/06/2019 at 10:51, Moove said:

He's en route to Canada right now to perform an inspection. He'll be back shortly with a 1000 word essay on why it's all a load of chuff, and how it doesn't matter how many schools it's in when there are STILL NO GRIDIRON CONVERSIONS

Then another positive contribution 

On 09/06/2019 at 10:53, Oxford said:

Great so when we have a trade deal they can cheat us left right and center cos no one'll have a clue over here the colonies and the empire strike back.

"glad to see there is something starting though  ..."

Where are all the naysayers wishing them well? Just a thought.

They've banged on and on and on and on about no development and when there is some you can't se their anuses for the flakes and fragments!

Then another ' taunt ' ? , So you wonder why people then answer you , as I did in the next post , if you don't want something , don't ASK for it 

Archived