Today

DEANO

Don't think there is any chance of it being called off, but I do think the crowd will be down today. Too many other things going on, York Pride,  all 3 local amateur rugby league teams at home, and the local cricket leagues as well. I wonder if the club get any compensation for agreeing to change their usual match day, I presume to facilitate the visitors travel arrangements?

You can't gift a side like Toulouse three tries, all from knock on's in the first set after we scored, and expect to win. The effort from the YCK players was there but the execution was lacking at critical times in the game. As for the officials? Well they were very, very poor and Childs looked like he wanted to be the centre of attention rather than the game itself.  

The Knights were unlucky. Much the better team throughout and never behind until the last few minutes. What killed us were those immediate knock-on’s/ball losses on pretty much the first tackle directly after we scored on the first  three occasions. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before. Dire though Child’s and his team were, they can’t take the blame for that. Toulouse were pretty ordinary apart from when they were in our 20 metres  when they came alive - and there were usually only there due to our errors. Never mind. Onwards and upwards. 

It may seem a bit harsh but IMO we blew that game. Toulouse started without organiser in chief Jonathan Ford and when fullback and points machine Kheirallah departed early with injury things were looking up. After gifting our opponents most of their first half points we played some good rugby and at 18 - 12 I thought the game was there to be won, we were in the ascendancy and the crowd was buzzing.

Think the buzzwords in training next week might be dropped balls (like last week) and game management. I've never liked blaming refs but we got nowt from Childs today and the eight metres he constantly allowed Toulouse helped their cause considerably. 

As usual great physical effort from the boys.

Thought we were outplayed for most of the game. That said they could only score off our mistakes from restarts and the knock on at the end

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

Definitely a case of what if. Cannot fault the effort of any of the players, just look at the way at the final whistle a lot of them fell to their knees. 100% effort and attitude from every single one.

Apart from the obvious not dealing with restarts I think we are too honest - time and time again when the opposition put a kick up near our line we actually compete to get the ball, often knocking it on or letting the other side get it (which led to the final try for Tolouse today I believe). Just do what every other team does, jump for the ball, get minimal contact, go down in a heap, get the penalty. It's not right but if you can't beat em, join em!

Referee - I'd have to see that final try again, where I was stood he looked to knock it on. Does feel like the James Child show at times, he's the only ref who would ignore every restart where players are in front of the kicker then ping for one in the 80th minute giving a side a shot at goal. Maximum drama, zero consistency.

A final word for Toulouse, ok they weren't anything special but to come to York and be without their 2 players for most of the match takes a lot of grit so well done to them. Reminded me of the way York battled out wins at the likes of Donny, Workington etc last season. I would not be surprised if they shocked Toronto in the playoff final...if York don't get there that is ? 

Crowd - noisiest I've heard BC all season, looked to be around 1900. New songs too, more of the same please!

A brilliant atmosphere, best for a while, but sadly in the end I'll remember this game as a game ruined by one showboater with a whistle.

I think thats the most polite thing I can say...

what I will say regards the dropped balls is if the defensive side is running at you from an offside position then ball handling is goin to be under unfair pressure.

Archived