• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone old enough to have experienced the fabled awfulness of Watney's Red Barrel?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

29 minutes ago, gazza77 said:

I always used to like a pint of Everard's Tiger, back in my student days drinking in Hull. It's years since I last saw it. 

I'm quite partial to it. Decent example of a classic English brown beer.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Just now, Futtocks said:

Anyone old enough to have experienced the fabled awfulness of Watney's Red Barrel?

Grew up on Jennings Bitter, which with a greater malt content that it has now, meant, for me, extra trips to the bathroom the following morning. 

Its not a bad bitter now (compared to how Boddingtons has been ruined), but its about ok now

1 minute ago, shaun mc said:

Grew up on Jennings Bitter, which with a greater malt content that it has now, meant, for me, extra trips to the bathroom the following morning. 

Its not a bad bitter now (compared to how Boddingtons has been ruined), but its about ok now

Hartleys was a cracking pint before Robinson’s took it over.

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

4 minutes ago, Bearman said:

What about Red Barrel?  It was “near beer”

and cans of Party 7’s  the dregs of the slops from the breweries.

Never had anything prefixed by "Watney's" that wasn't absolutely vile.

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Mind you, all the bad pints take a back seat to my experience of Kvass. Technically a beer, it is fermented from rye bread and is a low-alcohol brew that tastes very sour, thin and extremely nasty.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 minutes ago, Bearman said:

Hartleys was a cracking pint before Robinson’s took it over.

Now that was a nice beer.

On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 17:43, gingerjon said:

It does bug me that you can't get Mild any more. So I am a proper RL fan.

Since changing jobs, I don't now have a regular pub I go to but it was frustrating that the 'real ales' in that one were all very strong (most were over 5%). Nice range of flavours but not exactly user friendly.

This is an excellent mild

https://www.rudgatebrewery.co.uk/ruby-mild-wins-gold-at-camra-champion-beer-of-britain/

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

In the 70’s Warwick Uni Students Union had some decent beer. Owd Roger ( Marstons) strong ale would blow your socks. They did 80 and 90 shillings which were ok but the “ cooking” beer was Davenports which to be fair was pretty nice and at 29p a pint was good value. Wish it cost the same today !

Ron Banks

Midlands Hurricanes and Barrow

59 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

Me. I once went on a motoring holiday in Norfolk. All the Norwich Brewery pubs sold Norwich Bitter and Watney Red Barrel.   TBH all the Keg beers were pretty dire.  DD, Worthington E, Tartan Bitter, Tankard.  All sweet and gassy.  All of them sold with witty advertising etc.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

1 hour ago, Trojan said:

Me. I once went on a motoring holiday in Norfolk. All the Norwich Brewery pubs sold Norwich Bitter and Watney Red Barrel.   TBH all the Keg beers were pretty dire.  DD, Worthington E, Tartan Bitter, Tankard.  All sweet and gassy.  All of them sold with witty advertising etc.

The better the advert, the worse the beer. That's a pretty reliable rule (Viv Stanshall's insane Ruddles commercial being the exception), which explains why Budweiser and Carling ads are so memorable.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

On 08/06/2019 at 18:20, Futtocks said:

Scottish & Newcastle's PR department have all just committed seppuku.

newcastle-brown-ale-550ml.jpg

I never really classed that as a brown ale. Maybe I'm wrong but it was a bit sweet and not as "nutty" as the brown I remember and occasionally drank at college.

Proper brown and mild was made with this 

120060011_0_640x640.jpg

Watneys party 7 a initiation on the way to drinking, made you wonder if it was really worth bothering about, because you didn't know any better.

Used to like Jennings until Marston's got their hand's on it, still like Robinson's, Hawkshead, Batemans and Holts, J.W.Lees & Black Sheep?

On 08/06/2019 at 19:08, gazza77 said:

Usually they have:

Landlord

Mild

Boltmaker (Best) 

Knowle Spring

Ram Tam

Seasonal brew (Hopical Storm most recently) 

?

I’ve had that Boltmaker in a bottle from a local Sainsbury’s I think, but I didn’t think too much of it.  

Undoubtedly though, it will taste MUCH BETTER on tap as Landlord in a bottle tastes of nothing either.

The main freehouses I’ve had Landlord were around the Hebden Bridge area although also you get it in places like the Strawbury Duck on the outskirts of Bolton.

18 hours ago, Ullman said:

I'm quite partial to it. Decent example of a classic English brown beer.

My brother's late father law did a fair bit of brewing and supping and knew his stuff - he was with you, reckoned Tiger was the epitome of an English brown bitter.

For my money, these are cracking bests:

https://www.harveys.org.uk/beer/sussex-best  - normally I find southern bitters a bit too sweet, or perhaps just a bit too lacking in body. This however is lovely.

https://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/?beer=harvest-pale - a pale bitter and has American hops, but still has a smashing balance with just enough sharpness.

It's not a question of coming down to earth, Mr Duxbury. Some of us, Mr Duxbury, belong in the stars.

15 minutes ago, Stevo said:

My brother's late father law did a fair bit of brewing and supping and knew his stuff - he was with you, reckoned Tiger was the epitome of an English brown bitter.

For my money, these are cracking bests:

https://www.harveys.org.uk/beer/sussex-best  - normally I find southern bitters a bit too sweet, or perhaps just a bit too lacking in body. This however is lovely.

https://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/?beer=harvest-pale - a pale bitter and has American hops, but still has a smashing balance with just enough sharpness.

The pub near where my daughter lived in Nottingham always had Castle Rock Harvest Pale on. One of the best cask beers of its type I've ever tasted.

For me, Barnsley Bitter is the archetype of that best bitter style.

Used to be loads of mild when I lived in Manchester, but you could go one year to the next in Sheffield and never see any mild at all.

Right now I'm off work and drinking a pint of York Brewery Otherside IPA, absolutely delicious.

In Hook (Hampshire) and the surrounding area there are some absolutely belting beers from micro breweries - if they knew how to serve it properly I would be in absolute heaven. (And yes, my local can even ruin Landlord and Black Sheep)

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Coach and Horses in Harrogate has some of the best ales I have ever tasted

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Archived