What happened to Oldham

5 hours ago, andykenny said:

I have always said that Huddersfield were on the up when Oldham were on the way down.Someone in Huddersfield must have banged heads together and made that Stadium happen.Whatever combination of factors occurred for Huddersfield,Oldham just did not have.Whether you look at the owners of Oldham Athletic,Oldham Rugby League or the council, none of them had the right stuff.Instead we had years of faffing about,the rugby ended up as nomads and both the latics and the rugby are teetering on the edge.Yet in the early nineties.Both teams in semi finals, national headlines,the town buzzing.Oldham Athletic seemed to attract a succession of owners who messed things up further.The Rugby club owner never had the funds to be of any influence and that's how it's been.Two hundred and something attended the 1895 cup v Doncaster.Its not looking good for both the Oldham Teams.

2 failing clubs, both with assets, both with dilapidated, aged, stadiums, one, sat on prime real estate, one local authority eager to regenerate the area, a few grants and local businesses also eager to regenerate the town, it had nothing to do with Oldham's demise AFAIK and more to do with the opportunity, hard work and efforts of a few.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, meast said:

2 failing clubs, both with assets, both with dilapidated, aged, stadiums, one, sat on prime real estate, one local authority eager to regenerate the area, a few grants and local businesses also eager to regenerate the town, it had nothing to do with Oldham's demise AFAIK and more to do with the opportunity, hard work and efforts of a few.

No, as RS explained, it was more to do with the opportunism and outright two faced approach of Oldham Council

whitebank stadium does'nt help the situation worst ground i have had the displeasure to watch rugby at ...stood on your tiptoes to get a view and if its wet muddy shoes and 14 quid for the pleasure nah thanks !!

9 hours ago, Trojan said:

I used to love going to Watersheddings.  And in the 80's they had some great players, in addition to those mentioned there was Charlie McAlister and Paul Round.    Oldham's decline is very sad.  Selling your ground with nowhere else to go you can call your own is always a mistake IMO.  Look at Swinton and Hunslet, or Bramley.    

Oldham v Fev 1988. Apologies for poor quality.

Was that Mike Ford at scrum half? 

I remember going to that play off final at Spotland years ago. I was a neutral but the aromosphere was great with the little ground packed to the rafters. There must have been about 4, 500 from Widnes and another 3, 500 from Oldham most of them in replica shirts. Where have most of those 3, 500 gone ?

On 09/06/2019 at 04:57, rlno1 said:

What happened to this once proud club that saw them drop to the third tier?

I recall in the 80's and 90's they produced international quality players and averaged reasonable crowds, always tough to beat.

How did it all fall apart?

Having Chris Hamilton in charge wont help.

40 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Having Chris Hamilton in charge wont help.

Beat me to it. 

The financial history of the club is writ large here. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03446903/filing-history

Note reference to Micro-company accounts. That’s a turnover of £632,000 or less. It was formally a small company. 

Would be interesting to note how much of the turnover was withdrawn in director wages as opposed to spent in the team. 

030910105148.jpg

http://www.wiganstpats.org

Producing Players Since 1910

2 hours ago, The 4 of Us said:

Beat me to it. 

The financial history of the club is writ large here. https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/03446903/filing-history

Note reference to Micro-company accounts. That’s a turnover of £632,000 or less. It was formally a small company. 

Would be interesting to note how much of the turnover was withdrawn in director wages as opposed to spent in the team. 

I just found him very unlikeable.  

I used to film for Oldham and it is a shame how far they have fallen, I have seen better set ups at National Conference level than that at Whitebank. Fair play to people involved at the club including the fans who keep it alive, Scott Naylor is an excellent coach who does not have a lot to work with.

On 09/06/2019 at 17:58, philipw said:

Yep, Watersheddings was pretty rammed that day, we won and then played Wigan in the semi, ironically at the McAlpine. 

Ah, Watersheddings wasn't that an Anglo Saxon word for Hyperthermia, the coldest place in the country in winter, but I wish it was still here, I enjoyed many visits to that old ground and can recall a lot of good memories mostly the ensuing 26 players coming together for a difference of opinion in the Oldham v Leigh games.

I forgot to mention Hugh Wadell.  What superb player.  An old fashioned ball handling prop.  Did he go on the 1988 tour?

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Ah, Watersheddings wasn't that an Anglo Saxon word for Hyperthermia, the coldest place in the country in winter, but I wish it was still here, I enjoyed many visits to that old ground and can recall a lot of good memories mostly the ensuing 26 players coming together for a difference of opinion in the Oldham v Leigh games.

Didn't a oldham v Leigh game get abandoned once for a mass difference of opinion ?? Lol

Edit...oldham v Leigh 1984

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

What happened at a Oldham is what has happend at many other clubs, time has passed them by and they are no longer relevant to the population in their area nowadays  so rely on a ever decreasing older spectator base. 

Once a club loses its ground for whatever reason it's speeding down a slippery slope, and despite what some (or one) might say on here RL has to find a new spectator, base wherever that may be, small town Rugby League just isn't going to survive very long into the future.

55 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

What happened at a Oldham is what has happend at many other clubs, time has passed them by and they are no longer relevant to the population in their area nowadays  so rely on a ever decreasing older spectator base. 

Once a club loses its ground for whatever reason it's speeding down a slippery slope, and despite what some (or one) might say on here RL has to find a new spectator, base wherever that may be, small town Rugby League just isn't going to survive very long into the future.

Depends what you mean by "small town".  Fev's a small town,  Sheffield's a big city.  Guess who had most supporters at the Olympic Legacy Stadium on Sunday. 

If Oldham's a small town, what are Wigan, St Helens, Warrington, Dewsbury, Castleford?

By definition Salford, York and London are cities, but they don't get the support that Wigan do.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Archived