What happened to Oldham

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/06/2019 at 16:03, meast said:

2 failing clubs, both with assets, both with dilapidated, aged, stadiums, one, sat on prime real estate, one local authority eager to regenerate the area, a few grants and local businesses also eager to regenerate the town, it had nothing to do with Oldham's demise AFAIK and more to do with the opportunity, hard work and efforts of a few.

Not saying that Huddersfield caused Oldhams demise Mr Meast.

The situation was more or less identical for both towns.My point was that Huddersfield took their opportunity and Oldham didn't.The moment was there for both towns.

I can remember back in 96 being at a REM concert at the Mcalpine thinking why doesn't Oldham do this.Then a few years later when Huddersfield were becoming a full-time pro club and beating Oldham easily,I was thinking why didn't Oldham do this.We had the real estate.If only we had the few Huddersfield had.They were the difference.

On 10/06/2019 at 06:08, roughyedspud said:

Even in our recent history as a new club there's not many clubs that have been to as many grand finals as we have...can't bloody win em' like but at least we got there lol..

7 or 8 grand finals appearances ,trans pennies cup runner up 1998, 1 game away from SL in 2002 and league one champions in 2015....no bad for 21 years..with no money and no facilities lol..

I just need to win the euromillions and we'll be back up there..

Why do Oldham not play at the soccer ground? Surely it would make sense to have it used 12 months of the year and ger back to playing in Oldham. 

3 minutes ago, saintspete83 said:

Why do Oldham not play at the soccer ground? Surely it would make sense to have it used 12 months of the year and ger back to playing in Oldham. 

Cost, and the poor relationship between the CEO and the football club due to previous incidents 

7 hours ago, jroyales said:

This conspiracy theory has been bandied about since the closure of Watersheddings yet neither protagonists have replied to the accusation.

I'm gonna issue a freedom of information request to the council regarding the purchase and re sale of watersheddings..

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

17 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

I'm gonna issue a freedom of information request to the council regarding the purchase and re sale of watersheddings..

Spud it will purely say that the council and Jim Quinn shafted the once great club 

12 minutes ago, TheLegendOfTexEvans said:

Sad reality is I cant see Oldham surviving once League One is scrapped.

Your probably right mate, after the new sky deal kicks in we'll probably see a host of lower league clubs go to the wall, Oldham included. At least we have enough amateur clubs in the town to follow if people wish. I support my town,I've always lived around 15 minutes walk from where watersheddings used to be so it's in the blood. When it does happen and I hope it doesn't it'll be Saddleworth ranger's for me. To lose our town team twice would be final and it would hurt us all. 

1 hour ago, moorside roughyed said:

Your probably right mate, after the new sky deal kicks in we'll probably see a host of lower league clubs go to the wall, Oldham included. At least we have enough amateur clubs in the town to follow if people wish. I support my town,I've always lived around 15 minutes walk from where watersheddings used to be so it's in the blood. When it does happen and I hope it doesn't it'll be Saddleworth ranger's for me. To lose our town team twice would be final and it would hurt us all. 

Oldham, with all their history should at least be a strong Championship Club. I hope that one day they can become one and have a decent Stadium in their own town. 

1 hour ago, Gooleboy said:

Oldham, with all their history should at least be a strong Championship Club. I hope that one day they can become one and have a decent Stadium in their own town. 

Unfortunately Rugby League will do what it always does when things get tough.

Get rid of as many of the weaker historical clubs and replace them with short lived flash in pan new ones.

On 09/06/2019 at 10:02, jroyales said:

Another major problem, one I suppose that affects other clubs is the, is the attendees are the same as before and getting older. The town was had a thriving school rugby set up, at both junior and secondary level but no more.  This demise doesn't get youngsters interested in the sport with the result that fewer youngsters go on to play open age rugby.

Oldham did have probably one of the game's strongest open age set ups with most teams having two teams playing at weekends. None of the existing teams have enough players to field just one team anymore and many have given up and gone out of existence. I feel summer rugby is a major contributory factor and has killed open age rugby and has caused many of the problems the senior game has now.

The powers that be need to read these concerns and get their heads out of the sand before the game dies instead of just drawing their fat salaries and swanning off for a jolly in Singapore!

I am not sure Where you information on the openage setups comes from as currently Saddleworth Rangers has 2 open age sides as does St Annes the town also still has Waterhead with one team and Higginshaw again with one team. Yes the town has lost quite a few teams over the years but the clubs that are still in existence are still keeping the flame afloat. The main issue i feel and this is not just OLdham but across the M62 Corridor is the current scholarship and academy systems in place.  

18 hours ago, Gooleboy said:

So do I mate. I remember when thousands turned up at watersheddings on match day. Now hundreds turn up at a ground that is basically just a pitch. I mentioned to quite a few people that I don't think rugby league is as relevant in the town as it once was. Quite a few small clubs will go to the wall after these new upcoming negotiations  with sky,that's my take on it anyway. Sad times.

Archived