Rumours of a 14 team SL won't go away

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I keep hearing rumours from RL journos and people in the game that SL will be a 14 team comp next year.

Where are these rumours coming from and is there any truth in them? 

Let's hope so,sick of seeing some teams playing each other 4/5 times a season.

34 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

I keep hearing rumours from RL journos and people in the game that SL will be a 14 team comp next year.

You’ve heard them so should be telling us.

57 minutes ago, The Daddy said:

Prove it or don't come on here making rumours up 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

No , unless you beat Saints today 

1 hour ago, The Daddy said:

It would require the existing clubs to vote for a pay cut., making it unlikely.

1 hour ago, DimmestStar said:

It would require the existing clubs to vote for a pay cut., making it unlikely.

How much of a pay cut though? No £500k parachute payment and Tornoto possibly don't want central funding IIRC. If that is the case then the cutback is not as drastic as it could be. 

I assume any expansion to 14 would have to be contingent on foreign TV deals and sponsors to make the thing financially worthwhile. I assume the rumours persist because Super League would be negligent if they weren't exploring the opportunities associated with Toulouse and Toronto coming in, but at the same time, it's hardly a simple step to simply add two foreign teams to your competition... Broadcast negotiations, logistical considerations (travel, visas?), and the wider impact on the competition as a whole (back to 27 games? Keep a top 5?) all need to be worked through.

I know the Sky Contract is from 2021, but nothing stopping this being 2020 off the back of a 14 team SL with Toulouse and Toronto added if Sky agree. That must sound more tempting to them.

1 hour ago, Chamey said:

A 14 team SL just makes sense, it gets rid of the loop fixtures, and allows the top level to expand sensibly. The rumours won't go away because it's entirely logical.

BETFRED likes the international flair for its sponsorship also...the time is ripe for the move to 14.  If they don't do it they have missed a golden opportunity and are sort of a cowardly lot.

According to some posters on this site, Toronto and Toulouse bring in no new TV viewers so they are of no use. Add Bradford and York instead. That'll boost interest while adding a dozen new subscribers to Sky

It might be more appealing to sky than you think, if Tolouse, Toronto and Catalan were the three home games then Sky’s production costs would be slashed as they simply commentate over another broadcast.

i would think that means they could comfortably cut down to 1 English based match most if not every week

Archived