Game isn’t waiting for the NRL

What other journo gives as much attention to the International game than Mascord?

He started Armenia off on their RL journey and started a shop for hard to get international apparel.

He also gets more information than anyone about the RLIF.

new rise.jpg

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Australian rugby league authorities are helping build the game in PNG, throughout the Pacific, NZ and even in Perth.

The next SOO match is in Perth and NRL clubs also bring games there.

The Western Australian government is now actively lobbying for more NRL games and its own NRL team.

The NRL also announced the world 9s for later this year 

6 minutes ago, Pulga said:

What other journo gives as much attention to the International game than Mascord?

He started Armenia off on their RL journey and started a shop for hard to get international apparel.

He also gets more information than anyone about the RLIF.

Yet he continually critises the main player in Rugby League who do more for the developing Nations than any other body although that is not their mandate, to promote himself and his chance of job opportunities.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

5 minutes ago, Allora said:

Yet he continually critises the main player in Rugby League who do more for the developing Nations than any other body although that is not their mandate, to promote himself and his chance of job opportunities.

I'm not sure what you're talking about?

Are you saying he criticises the NRL too much?

new rise.jpg

Mascord is best Australian Journalist to regularly cover International Rugby League, i dont think there are any others who regularly cover international game so he probably wins by default.

The NRL makes million out of NZ every year in TV rights and merchandise and only returns the basic operating cost (club grant) to Warriors each year which is what every NRL club gets. Australian grass roots rugby league receives NRL grants every year and NZRL nothing despite huge profits coming from NZ. Also NRL strip mines NZ of teenage talent to the point were people dont play rugby league as adults anymore as if you havent made it by end of your teens in NZ all there is playing footy with mates and risking injury. NO National Club comp anymore since 2007 & NZRL and many of its district organisation have been poorly run for several decades and have little money. Add that to the fact that a very young DRAKE had his photo taken with the Auckland Warriors 25 years ago.... But dont try peeing on my leg and saying that the NRL is raining dollars on New Zealand, or there will be a knuckle sandwich in it for you!

2 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Mascord is highly deluded from the articles I’ve read. He would certainly fit in here from all the pie in the sky tripe he always publishes 

Right on queue.

new rise.jpg

32 minutes ago, Pulga said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about?

Are you saying he criticises the NRL too much?

He critises most things that Rugby League in Australia do, whether its the NRL or the ARL

Pulga I know you have your hobby horse in promoting the game in small Nations and that's fine.

Its your personal passion, its not something I really care to much about, maybe I am the insular Aussie.

If this great game is played in El Salvador or Chile means not much to me, I would be more interested if France was competitive.

I would be more interested in a competitive Bradford or see Leeds get off the Canvas.

41 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Mascord is best Australian Journalist to regularly cover International Rugby League, i dont think there are any others who regularly cover international game so he probably wins by default.

The NRL makes million out of NZ every year in TV rights and merchandise and only returns the basic operating cost (club grant) to Warriors each year which is what every NRL club gets. Australian grass roots rugby league receives NRL grants every year and NZRL nothing despite huge profits coming from NZ. Also NRL strip mines NZ of teenage talent to the point were people dont play rugby league as adults anymore as if you havent made it by end of your teens in NZ all there is playing footy with mates and risking injury. NO National Club comp anymore since 2007 & NZRL and many of its district organisation have been poorly run for several decades and have little money. Add that to the fact that a very young DRAKE had his photo taken with the Auckland Warriors 25 years ago.... But dont try peeing on my leg and saying that the NRL is raining dollars on New Zealand, or there will be a knuckle sandwich in it for you!

Could you try and use some sentences and paragraphs 

Mascord walked away from covering  the game in a paid way last year because he was not popular in his home Country and nobody wanted to hear his rants

If those players were not sought after by NRL Clubs they would be playing Rugby Union.

You sound and type like you are Drunk.

No one ever said the NRL is raining money on New Zealand, what I suggested is you are not living up to even average expectations.

I await your threatened knuckle sandwich. Good Luck with that, if you come over I will send you my details and buy you a Beer

I think this is a decent article, save only that the facts have been shoe horned into the opinion element. The resolution to change the rules for the 3 independents was approved before it had had time to go through the ARL process. It was settled with the complete buy in from the NRL. They are in a uniquely challenging position, having to balance the clubs and the players’ association against the international game. They do a great deal to develop players across the region, and grow the game. One massive issue is that there rep players play 3 SoO games every year, and so have a heavier burden of rep games prior to the end of the year. Whatever the RLIF comes up with has to be stress tested against the realities. 

There is progress, and forward momentum. Slower than we would like, but we are already very far removed from where we were at the turn of the century... we are entering a golden era. 

49 minutes ago, Allora said:

Mascord walked away from covering  the game in a paid way last year because he was not popular in his home Country and nobody wanted to hear his rants

If those players were not sought after by NRL Clubs they would be playing Rugby Union.

No one ever said the NRL is raining money on New Zealand, what I suggested is you are not living up to even average expectations.

I await your threatened knuckle sandwich. Good Luck with that, if you come over I will send you my details and buy you a Beer

Steve walked away for a couple of reasons. He had a Irish Girlfriend-now wife in London that he rarely got to spend time with. He also walked away as he to some degree didnt like the way the NRL was being going. He might have fallen out with certain people, but he always was asked to do radio and write things by many media organizations.Most Journos are not popular-Rothfield, Hooper, Kent etc in the game. Mascord was often called upon to report on Internationals and often paid his own way to report on International Games.

He has moved on from Journalism to selling International Gear. A good move as he helps Rugby Leage develop in Nations and he has provided much positive help to developing Nations regarding Merchandsise. Like everybody Steve has his faults etc but he is a guy that loves Rugby League, espcially internationally. A number in Australia (NRL) and the UK (RFL & Super LEAGUE) couldnt give a flying duck about the Internationa scene. And that frustrated him and many others.

18 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

Steve walked away for a couple of reasons. He had a Irish Girlfriend-now wife in London that he rarely got to spend time with. He also walked away as he to some degree didnt like the way the NRL was being going. He might have fallen out with certain people, but he always was asked to do radio and write things by many media organizations.Most Journos are not popular-Rothfield, Hooper, Kent etc in the game. Mascord was often called upon to report on Internationals and often paid his own way to report on International Games.

He has moved on from Journalism to selling International Gear. A good move as he helps Rugby Leage develop in Nations and he has provided much positive help to developing Nations regarding Merchandsise. Like everybody Steve has his faults etc but he is a guy that loves Rugby League, espcially internationally. A number in Australia (NRL) and the UK (RFL & Super LEAGUE) couldnt give a flying duck about the Internationa scene. And that frustrated him and many others.

I doubt the NRL are too concerned about how Mr Mascord feels about them, maybe his coverage of the game put him offside with the NRL big wigs. He is Mr anti NRL from most of his posts, maybe he needs to realise he is not the new messiah of how the game should be.

I do not like him or  what he posts, he has always come across  as full of himself and many including me do not warm to that, it was mentioned in a post above that he passes himself off as a voice  and authority for this great game and many fans do not  warm to that.

Good luck to him but for me his prior opinions on the game have lost me and I have no time at all for his thoughts or commentary on our game 

53 minutes ago, Allora said:

I doubt the NRL are too concerned about how Mr Mascord feels about them, maybe his coverage of the game put him offside with the NRL big wigs. He is Mr anti NRL from most of his posts, maybe he needs to realise he is not the new messiah of how the game should be.

I do not like him or  what he posts, he has always come across  as full of himself and many including me do not warm to that, it was mentioned in a post above that he passes himself off as a voice  and authority for this great game and many fans do not  warm to that.

Good luck to him but for me his prior opinions on the game have lost me and I have no time at all for his thoughts or commentary on our game 

Whatever Mascords opinions the NRL can make more effort than this instance.  Imo, this isn’t a question on who’s thrownmost money at the game, more a question of coming together on a common cause.  Getting better organisation and recognition is in everyone’s interests.  Also and hopefully, it creates stricter controls on Members becoming part of the game.

The RLIF, from what I’ve seen previously have been more of a quango without teeth.  Maybe now they can show their value.  If they can’t/won’t and we continue in our insular ways were doing the game a disservice.

The NRL under Greenburg are happy for 4 Melbourne Storm players to play SoO on a Wednesday and then play in NZ on Saturday.But do little to encourage clubs to release players for Internationals like last year in Denver who had a week to recover. Why? It comes across as the NRL want everything there way. If not then they do nothing to help.

The likes of Kent, Rothfield etc are far more anti NRL than Mascord. On the NRL360 show its often bashing the NRL from Kent and co. And it most cases they have a good point. The NRL, led by Greenburg is a slow organization that does not really care about the Game outside the Professional Operation it runs. Theres not enough help or support for developing the Youth Game,Country Football, Internationals from the NRL. It angers many people involved in this side of things.

5 hours ago, Copa said:

Australian rugby league authorities are helping build the game in PNG, throughout the Pacific, NZ and even in Perth.

The next SOO match is in Perth and NRL clubs also bring games there.

The Western Australian government is now actively lobbying for more NRL games and its own NRL team.

The NRL also announced the world 9s for later this year 

Any work the NRL is doing in NZ, PNG, and the Pacific nations is entirely self serving, just look at the new, young players coming into their game, I think I read that upwards of 40% of their junior development players are of Pacific or Aboriginal extraction and it's expected to continue to rise. What really bugs them is when such as Tamalola and Fifita declare themselves as Tongan.

In a few years time it will be unusual to see a Australian national side with a Cacusaian background player in it?

11 hours ago, Allora said:

You are condescending and dont know what your talking about when it comes to NZ rugby league. Its a metaphorical knuckle sandwich which you have already eaten bon appetite.

15 hours ago, Just Browny said:

Incidentally, it would be very 'rugby league' to have the qualifiers as late as possible before the event - probably a double-header at ***** the Tuesday before - but the facts don't bear it out.

Not there, it would be at a ground to be announced 48 hours before kick off, and probably somewhere like Inverness, or Truro

14 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

RL in NZ would be in about the exact same place that it is in South Africa if it wasn't for the NRL, to deny that is to deny reality.

To suggest that the NRL clubs are 'strip mining' teenage RL talent is borderline insane, because if the NRL clubs didn't invest in talent from NZ all of said talent would go on to play RU (and if you are honest a whole bunch of that "teenage RL talent" is actually high school RU players...), so it's not like they are taking players that could be benefiting the sport in NZ, because apart from the parts that are propped up by the NRL the sport in NZ effectively doesn't exist outside of park football. Furthermore that investment into player development from the NRL and NRL clubs is the only thing propping up the sport in NZ (and the rest of the PI's, bar PNG), take that away and it all comes crumbling down, to deny that is again to deny reality. 

The collapse of the national comp in NZ has nothing to do with the NRL, and is due to mismanagement by the NZRL and local bodies.

If the NZRL wants grants from the NRL then they need to come under the jurisdiction of the ARLC.

1 hour ago, The Great Dane said:

RL in NZ would be in about the exact same place that it is in South Africa if it wasn't for the NRL, to deny that is to deny reality.

Have you thought of learning about the game in NZ before posting? It would save you making embarrassing comments like that one.

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

28 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Have you thought of learning about the game in NZ before posting? It would save you making embarrassing comments like that one.

Take away the NRL firstly attracting all the talent from NZ to try and make a career in RL and then developing all the top players from NZ, and NZ RL is left with basically nothing.

Take every Kiwi players of note, without the NRL they're all following the money in RU.

Without those players all NZ RL really has is a few small regional amateur comps that are totally drowned out by larger sports (particularly RU) with more money behind them.

It is what it is. 

21 hours ago, Allora said:

He critises most things that Rugby League in Australia do, whether its the NRL or the ARL

Pulga I know you have your hobby horse in promoting the game in small Nations and that's fine.

Its your personal passion, its not something I really care to much about, maybe I am the insular Aussie.

If this great game is played in El Salvador or Chile means not much to me, I would be more interested if France was competitive.

I would be more interested in a competitive Bradford or see Leeds get off the Canvas.

I'd like to see where the criticism hasn't been warranted.

I think you're overblowing things 

new rise.jpg

Archived