Game isn’t waiting for the NRL

22 hours ago, Copa said:

Australian rugby league authorities are helping build the game in PNG, throughout the Pacific, NZ and even in Perth.

The next SOO match is in Perth and NRL clubs also bring games there.

The Western Australian government is now actively lobbying for more NRL games and its own NRL team.

The NRL also announced the world 9s for later this year 

They certainly haven't helped to build the game in NZ, on the contrary they have stripped all the  the best players out of any competition here..

Their attempt at the last WC was a complete fiasco.A half hearted effort at best .

The 9s comp later this year is being played at some tin pot stadium with half the teams  composed of players residing in Aussie.If your going to stage these games then give it your best or don't bother,you can't do it on the cheap.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, frank said:

They certainly haven't helped to build the game in NZ, on the contrary they have stripped all the  the best players out of any competition here..

Their attempt at the last WC was a complete fiasco.A half hearted effort at best .

The 9s comp later this year is being played at some tin pot stadium with half the teams  composed of players residing in Aussie.If your going to stage these games then give it your best or don't bother,you can't do it on the cheap.

You mean they’ve provided opportunities for NZ players to earn millions of $? How dare they! NZ alone could never do that. If the NRL didn’t inspire the best rugby league players in NZ many would all go to union if the big pay day wasn’t in rugby league.

The NRL is a massive opportunity for rugby league in NZ.

That tin pot stadium you refer to is arguably the best purpose built rugby league stadium on earth. It is the best.

Many of the players involved are born and raised in Oceania. They have huge expat communities in Australia that fully identify with their island nation’s culture and identity. It doesn’t stop outside the borders of the nations they represent. They view identity differently to you. If their fans are satisfied and their home national governing bodies are satisfied then it’s none of your business. You don’t set the rules if how they support and identify with a culture that has nothing to do with you.

Rugby League has been continuously played in NZ since 1907, there has always been and still is provincial competitions throughout the country. Semi pro club comps operated in Auckland, Wellington and Canterbury up until mid 1990's. In mid 1990's Auckland Warriors entered the Cigarette Cup & Union went professional. NZRL suffered from mismanagement in late 1990's - 2000's which led to the collapse of newly established national competition on 2 occasions. Now Aucklands Fox memorial Club comp is the only local NZ comp with a semi pro element to it... its just plain unfortunate how things have gone. 

NRL has made Millions of dollars in profit from NZ TV rights and Merchandise, About 30% of current NRL players come from New Zealand and a couple hundred NZ juniors are lured to Australia every year. All this time there has been no reinvestment back into the game in NZ by the NRL. I draw a parallel between these practices and strip mining as strip mining takes what it wants makes huge profits but leaves behind massive environmental damage &  wont use any of the money it made from the environment to help restore that environment to healthy state.

22 hours ago, The Future is League said:

I have been involved in the game for over 50 years.

How long have you been involved with Rugby League?

You beat me, only about 44 years.

Talent is secondary to whether players are confident.

4 hours ago, frank said:

Firstly, that's ######, most of the players that the NRL develops from NZ are signed as school boys (or just out of school).

Secondly, there is no competition of note in NZ and their hasn't been for decades. 

So no the NRL aren't coming along and sucking all the talent out of a local competition with the knock on effect of devaluing that competition to the point that it's valueless. They're coming along and signing a bunch of school kids with the hope of developing them into pro RL players, if the NRL didn't sign them not only would they not be develop into professional RL players (because the only group developing pro RL players in NZ are the NRL), but they'd be signed by RU clubs and developed into pro RU player, and thus be lost to the sport.

This idea that the NRL is sucking up all the talent that could be playing in a local competition, thus making such a local competition impossible and stunting the growth of the sport in NZ, is fanciful nonsense, because without the NRL's offer of a lucrative career to attract NZ juniors to RL none of them would play RL at all, so you still wouldn't have an NZ pro comp, there'd just be effectively no RL presence at all in NZ and all that talent would follow the money in RU.

2 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

NRL has made Millions of dollars in profit from NZ TV rights and Merchandise, About 30% of current NRL players come from New Zealand and a couple hundred NZ juniors are lured to Australia every year. All this time there has been no reinvestment back into the game in NZ by the NRL. I draw a parallel between these practices and strip mining as strip mining takes what it wants makes huge profits but leaves behind massive environmental damage &  wont use any of the money it made from the environment to help restore that environment to healthy state.

Except calling what the NRL does in NZ strip mining is a fundamental misrepresentation of what is actually happening in NZ, because the NRL isn't coming along and taking top talent that the NZRL developed and giving nothing back, they're coming along, cultivating the talent themselves and then developing it into top talent themselves, which is having the knock on effect of sustaining a following for the sport in NZ.

If you were honest with yourself then the analogy you'd be using would be that the NRL is farming NZ, because they are coming along finding a barren wasteland and turning it into productive land.

Take the NRL out of your little history lesson from earlier and when the constant mismanagement by the NZRL comes to a head then the sport would have collapsed in NZ and effectively died then and there, so it's a bloody good thing that the NRL is around to prop up the sport in NZ (and the rest of the PI's), because if it wasn't around and was actually as uncaring and callous about international RL as people like to make out that it is, then there wouldn't be any RL of note in NZ (and the rest of the PI's) at all!  

Without the NRL signing NZ youth then the Kiwis would be at the level of France & PNG, nowhere near able to compete against Australia and England. This would have a terribly detrimental effect on our entire sport in one of 3 x tier 1 nations. 

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

What's all this got to do with the RLIF meeting?

Australia couldn’t be bothered turning up and suggesting this is typical of Australia's disinterest in International RL has got some trying to show how much Australia does for International RL. 

My blog: https://rugbyl.blogspot.co.nz/

It takes wisdom to know when a discussion has run its course.

It takes reasonableness to end that discussion. 

4 hours ago, Smudger06 said:

Without the NRL signing NZ youth then the Kiwis would be at the level of France & PNG, nowhere near able to compete against Australia and England. This would have a terribly detrimental effect on our entire sport in one of 3 x tier 1 nations. 

For now yes, but the long term pillaging will ultimately affect NZ adversely. The NRL uses NZ RL for it’s benefit and to suggest this is done in the interests of developing International RL beggars belief. 

if the NRL was truly wishing to assist International RL, it would see that something has to be put back into NZ RL. It can’t just take, take, take and then say these players are better for the international game when the NZ RL set up that produced them is suffering as a result. 

50 minutes ago, RayCee said:

Australia couldn’t be bothered turning up and suggesting this is typical of Australia's disinterest in International RL has got some trying to show how much Australia does for International RL. 

I appreciate that Ray but this thread has just descended into an Aussie v Kiwi argument.

rldfsignature.jpg

22 minutes ago, RayCee said:

For now yes, but the long term pillaging will ultimately affect NZ adversely. The NRL uses NZ RL for it’s benefit and to suggest this is done in the interests of developing International RL beggars belief. 

if the NRL was truly wishing to assist International RL, it would see that something has to be put back into NZ RL. It can’t just take, take, take and then say these players are better for the international game when the NZ RL set up that produced them is suffering as a result. 

What more do you want them to put back in!

Seriously they literally develop all your players, support the only pro team in the country, all the exposure that the sport gets in the country is because of the NRL, etc, etc, etc!

If you want lump sums for the NZRL, then come under the ARLC's jurisdiction and be treated just as the state bodies are treated so that the ARLC and NRL have some control over how the money is invested, otherwise it's a flat no because the NZRL (or should we just call it the Auckland RL now) will ###### it all up against a wall like they do everything else.

Also saying players that 'the NZ RL set up produced' is delusional, just utterly delusional. Sure some NZ players play RL as a kid (generally speaking) until they get to high school, but that isn't player development or the NZRL 'producing players'.

I mean lets see just how many players NZ RL produces once the NRL's funds are taken out of the question, I'll tell you now that it'd be a pretty bleak future for sport in NZ if that ever happened.

3 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

I appreciate that Ray but this thread has just descended into an Aussie v Kiwi argument.

It not an Aussie vs Kiwi argument. It’s how the NRL is behaving in regard to helping the game internationally. I won’t personally add more now as people reading the opinions have enough info to make up their own minds. GD has already waded in with another reply which I won’t respond to as it won’t get anywhere. 

Many discussions on this forum get into this sort of situation. If one went around asking why the thread has developed that way (as fair as the question is), it would be a full time job. At least this one did have some connection, albeit somewhat tenuous. ?

We all known the obvious positive things like the NRL having NZ a professional club based in the country, Many NZ players having professional careers in the NRL and many people in NZ follow the NRL. But I am talking about what is not obviously commonly known. NRL makes a lot of revenue out of NZ from TV rights/merchandise/etc and the NRL puts nothing but the basic operation cost back into NZ and keeps all the profits in Australia. Even the most ruthless Australian Businesses that operate in NZ - Banks at least put a small percentage of the profits they make in NZ back into the NZ communities through charities and sponsorship. 

23 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

We all known the obvious positive things like the NRL having NZ a professional club based in the country, Many NZ players having professional careers in the NRL and many people in NZ follow the NRL. But I am talking about what is not obviously commonly known. NRL makes a lot of revenue out of NZ from TV rights/merchandise/etc and the NRL puts nothing but the basic operation cost back into NZ and keeps all the profits in Australia. Even the most ruthless Australian Businesses that operate in NZ - Banks at least put a small percentage of the profits they make in NZ back into the NZ communities through charities and sponsorship. 

So what are the numbers?

3 hours ago, Farmduck said:

So what are the numbers?

I did a post about 2- 3 years ago cant remember if it was here or another site i looked up all the info on NRL NZ TV rights over the last 25 years. Then subtracted annual NZ warriors club grant from that amount and you have millions in profit every year that the NRL makes out of NZ and that is not counting other revenue streams from the NZ market like merchandise/radio rights/Auckland 9's fee. Since 1995 I estimate the NRL made about 100 million dollars out of NZ in PROFIT. Were has that money gone? ...none of the profits have ever been seen in NZ again! The cherry on top of all this is NRL cant be bothered showing up or voting to the World Games Governing body's the RLIF anuual meeting.

On 12/06/2019 at 08:59, frank said:

What ever your thoughts about the 9s competition, it is clearly not a tin pot stadium in any way

3 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

I did a post about 2- 3 years ago cant remember if it was here or another site i looked up all the info on NRL NZ TV rights over the last 25 years $. Then subtracted annual NZ warriors club grant from that amount and you have millions in profit every year that the NRL makes out of NZ and that is not even counting other revenue streams from the NZ market like merchandise/radio rights/Auckland 9's fee etc. Over the last 25 years I estimate the NRL made about 100 million dollars out of NZ in PROFIT since 1995. Were has that money gone? ...none of it has ever been seen in NZ again! The cherry on top of all this is NRL cant be bothered showing up or voting to the World Games Govering body's the RLIF anuual meeting.

According to the Mascord piece,the NRL didn't have a vote to confirm which new face they were voting for with the RLIF.  If true, that's not right given the ways to communicate these days.

21 minutes ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

I did a post about 2- 3 years ago cant remember if it was here or another site i looked up all the info on NRL NZ TV rights over the last 25 years. Then subtracted annual NZ warriors club grant from that amount and you have millions in profit every year that the NRL makes out of NZ and that is not counting other revenue streams from the NZ market like merchandise/radio rights/Auckland 9's fee. Since 1995 I estimate the NRL made about 100 million dollars out of NZ in PROFIT. Were has that money gone? ...none of the profits have ever been seen in NZ again! The cherry on top of all this is NRL cant be bothered showing up or voting to the World Games Governing body's the RLIF anuual meeting.

So what are the actual numbers?

Not some vague cant remember, not sure if it was this site or another.

That is the vaguest reply I have seen in some time on this Forum and that says a lot.

Posting forthright FACTS  without having those FACTS............. says you have no idea but will post stuff anyway.

15 minutes ago, TheConductor said:

But why are they holding back the game ?

There are a couple of NRL Clubs that are in trouble financially.

They are cautious about admitting new Clubs that want to be part of the game but do not stack up financially.

How is that holding the game back?

9 minutes ago, TheConductor said:

from what I have read the 2020 NRL grand final will be held at the SCG FFS.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but isn't that because it's a commemorative thing rather than a commercial decision?

EDIT. Just looked and it's because of building work at the ANZ.

rldfsignature.jpg

8 minutes ago, TheConductor said:

Well they need a few big changes in NRL HQ and some balls are they are holding the game back as from what I have read the 2020 NRL grand final will be held at the SCG FFS.

Do you know much about the deal?

The capacity

What the NSW Government payed to host it.

Do you know anything about it?

12 minutes ago, TheConductor said:

Well they need a few big changes in NRL HQ and some balls are they are holding the game back as from what I have read the 2020 NRL grand final will be held at the SCG FFS.

If the State Government offers to spend $1.8 billion on stadiums they expect the GF to stay in Sydney.

14 minutes ago, TheConductor said:

What big moves are happening in England?

Growth, developing the game in France, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, never  mind Italy, Croatia, Serbia and Lebanon.

The fact England can not get France to be competitive says EVERYTHING

Archived