Mahe Fonua

Hull FC....The Sons of God...
                                                                     (Well, we are about to be crucified on Good Friday)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Hullfan said:

I got the impression that Dawson-Jones was going to be first choice before his injury. So with the signing of Swift the emergence of Ratu Naulago and the potential signing of Fonua, we're does this leave Dawson-Jones 

Back in the Championship where he belongs. 

Always thought Fonua was overrated, a very limited player but went well in SL where defences are not as strong

25 minutes ago, Old Frightful said:

Great news! Always been a favourite player of mine, met him a couple of times, a right laugh, always had a smile on his face, always had time for fans. Welcome back Mahe! 

On 19/06/2019 at 15:41, Lowdesert said:

This season can be anything yet.  We have the capability.  But bringing him back would see real excitement and anticipation for 2020 and the Wincolmlee massive.

Brilliant!

"I'm from a fishing family. Trawlermen are like pirates with biscuits." - Lucy Beaumont.

Wincolmlee massive? body mass or members?

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

6 hours ago, Hullfan said:

Reports from Australia suggest he's signed a three year deal with Hull FC

Six tries in 22 appearances in the last two years isn't exactly shouting being good enough for me.

We should have waited before signing Swift if this was the play the club wanted long term, I realise that Ratu may not be able to play all the games but I'd rather he over Fonua with Swift or a young winger to get a chance as back up (Swift still doesn't make any sense as he's not a back up player,. Can see us wasting more money paying Swift off which would be crazy!

In any case three years is a hell of a long contract for a player who is bobbins in defence and hasn't exactly being pulling up trees in attack either. The money he'll be wanting as well will mean we'll be scrimping elsewhere. I'm sure all the youngsters in the squad where we are bringing in players from outside the club for their positions will be enthralled ... AGAIN! 

Hull FC, not a club where you want to be in the academy because you'll get feck all chance unless injuries are really bad and you won't get properly developed because the coaching set up doesn't have a clue. 

1 hour ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Six tries in 22 appearances in the last two years isn't exactly shouting being good enough for me.

We should have waited before signing Swift if this was the play the club wanted long term, I realise that Ratu may not be able to play all the games but I'd rather he over Fonua with Swift or a young winger to get a chance as back up (Swift still doesn't make any sense as he's not a back up player,. Can see us wasting more money paying Swift off which would be crazy!

In any case three years is a hell of a long contract for a player who is bobbins in defence and hasn't exactly being pulling up trees in attack either. The money he'll be wanting as well will mean we'll be scrimping elsewhere. I'm sure all the youngsters in the squad where we are bringing in players from outside the club for their positions will be enthralled ... AGAIN! 

Hull FC, not a club where you want to be in the academy because you'll get feck all chance unless injuries are really bad and you won't get properly developed because the coaching set up doesn't have a clue. 

The reason they don't get a chance is because there not good enough. 

4 hours ago, Hullfan said:

The reason they don't get a chance is because there not good enough. 

Not often I agree with you but I can't argue with that statement.

Apart from, it should be "they're", obviously.

15 hours ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Still bagging Radford I see Bumpy, 3rd in the league, demolished Catalans, you must be very lonely.

On 11/06/2019 at 13:44, Hullfan said:

Looks to have played his last game for West Tigers, season ending injury suffered last week. Could he make the return to a Hull FC? 

Another one whos come back a utter failure.

7 hours ago, Loiner said:

I don't think that's at all fair. He played regular first team over there but both seasons were ended early due to injury (a broken arm and foot injury respectively). After his first few games he was getting rave reviews.

I think it's fair to say he didn't set the NRL alight, but he certainly wasn't an "utter failure."

13 minutes ago, MZH said:

I don't think that's at all fair. He played regular first team over there but both seasons were ended early due to injury (a broken arm and foot injury respectively). After his first few games he was getting rave reviews.

I think it's fair to say he didn't set the NRL alight, but he certainly wasn't an "utter failure."

Quite right and just a little fact to add to that, in 2018, he was 5th in the NRL for average post contact metres per game. Decent stat for an "utter failure". 

2 minutes ago, The Hallucinating Goose said:

Quite right and just a little fact to add to that, in 2018, he was 5th in the NRL for average post contact metres per game. Decent stat for an "utter failure". 

One stat doesn’t tell the whole picture though. He was error prone and defensively suspect in terms of positioning and decision making. When he played on the wing, he also got targeted with the high ball due to his short stature. 

He wasn’t an utter failure, but he also didn’t do enough to make clubs want to snap him up or Wests go out their way to keep him 

7 hours ago, Loiner said:

You may not get the chance to see him next season anyway.

12 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

One stat doesn’t tell the whole picture though. He was error prone and defensively suspect in terms of positioning and decision making. When he played on the wing, he also got targeted with the high ball due to his short stature. 

He wasn’t an utter failure, but he also didn’t do enough to make clubs want to snap him up or Wests go out their way to keep him 

Well, I'm delighted so up yours, the pair of you.

3 hours ago, DoubleD said:

He was error prone and defensively suspect in terms of positioning and decision making. When he played on the wing, he also got targeted with the high ball due to his short stature. 

Yes, we saw him at Hull but how did he get on in the NRL?

This world was never meant for one as beautiful as me.

Wakefield Trinity RLFC
2012 - 2014 "The wasted years"

2013, 2014 & 2015 Official Magic Weekend "Whipping Boys"

2017 - The year the dream disappeared under Grix's left foot.

2018 - The FinniChezz Bromance 

2019 - The Return of the Prodigal Son

4 hours ago, DoubleD said:

Austin will be up there with errors and I'll wager Hurrell is also up there as well - any without Hurrells metre making where would Leeds be?  Fonuas errors aren't so high either and all wingers have a mare now and again.  We focus on that as they usually lead to tries.  

As you rightly say, stats dont tell the full picture and that has to be evenly balanced with what else they bring to the team.  Fonua was 1st choice this year before injury and just claiming a regular starting spot in the NRL means he can play.  No question of that.

IMO his best position is Centre and he always seems to get his hands free.  Whoever is outside him will get plenty of opportunities.  

Buchanan will be the next one pushing for a place in the backs.

ATEOTD, whatever he did or didn't do in the NRL, we all saw how effective he was in his first spell over here. On his day he is totally unplayable and he deservedly made the dream team two years running (in two different positions may I add). That's what I am looking at.

He is still only 26, and a bit more time in the NRL can only have helped with his positional play etc.

The other aspect of this that no one has really mentioned is what it does for the fan base. He is already something of a club legend and a cult hero. This signing creates a buzz and will help sell season tickets and merchandise. 

1 hour ago, MZH said:

The other aspect of this that no one has really mentioned is what it does for the fan base. He is already something of a club legend and a cult hero. This signing creates a buzz and will help sell season tickets and merchandise. 

Definitely, club will be getting an extra £15 out of me to get his name on the back of my shirt, on top of the £400 or so they normally get off me anyway. 

Archived