Newcastle pick up Bears star

Yes good luck to the guy.

It is a shame as he seems to have been a great performer for Bears. 

Bears must  be working really hard with this  and ground issues to keep continuity - or is L1 life tough as this always?  

15 minutes ago, Charlie RL said:

Yes good luck to the guy.

It is a shame as he seems to have been a great performer for Bears. 

Bears must  be working really hard with this  and ground issues to keep continuity - or is L1 life tough as this always?  

The Bears have a top young coach, a brilliant CEO and a good team of directors. I think it's tough for most teams in League one. The Bears are operating on one of the lowest if not the lowest budget in League one but improving on the field, and facing challenges off it. 

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Is this the future for the Bears? Will they always struggle to keep their better players? 

I think the same could be said of most teams outside the top 4 in Super League (plus Toronto who pay big bucks). The CEO statement suggests a pragmatic approach ie. If a move is right for the player and the club there is no point in standing in the way of it 

49 minutes ago, OriginalMrC said:

I think the same could be said of most teams outside the top 4 in Super League (plus Toronto who pay big bucks). The CEO statement suggests a pragmatic approach ie. If a move is right for the player and the club there is no point in standing in the way of it 

I wouldn't disagree with that but it just looks like Coventry will always get cherry picked, even by teams in their own division, unless some serious investment comes into the club. it's very much a vicious circle.

rldfsignature.jpg

York have benefited too from a couple of players from Coventry in recent years.

Unfortunately it is just evolution and unless as pointed out in deluded pom's post unless serious investment comes in then it will continue to happen.

The plus side of this though is that young aspiring RL players in the midlands can see that there is a pathway to bigger teams and clubs if they are good enough, which can only benefit the game as a whole.

What's the issue off field?

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

42 minutes ago, slowdive said:

What's the issue off field?

No off field issues but Bears have had to move some of their home games due to an AGP pitch being laid at the Butts Park Arena. The process has taken longer than anticipated but luckily there are good suitable grounds locally that have been secured 

1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

Who said there was an off field issue?

I think I probably misread an earlier post. 

"At times to be silent is to lie. You will win because you have enough brute force. But you will not convince. For to convince you need to persuade. And in order to persuade you would need what you lack: Reason and Right."

On the other hand, this is another good pickup by Thunder. Despite a dodgy start, they are still in the mix, and seem in better financial shape than many of their rivals for promotion.

Would love to see a decently funded NE club being competitive in the Championship next season.

If the number of professional and semi professional clubs has to be limited due to financial restraints,as I believe it realistically must be,then I would certainly select Newcastle as one of the clubs to be included.

They have good facilities,seem to support the local community clubs,appear to be financially stable and open up the area of Durham,Northumberland,north Yorks and even the Borders - whats not to like?

5 hours ago, NERugbyDad said:

Really busy week at the Thunder this week, Nick Newman and Matthew Wright signed then they've just announced they've taken Muizz Mustapha on loan from Leeds for a month. Looks like we're going all in to get promotion this year, also know as the dash to get out before Ottawa arrive.

https://www.thunderrugby.co.uk/on-field/rhinos-mustapha-joins-on-loan/

Muizz is an absolute wrecking ball, full of aggression. Can play prop or backrow. 

Archived