HALL OF FAME - WEEK 11 CLASSY CENTRE IAN WRIGHT!

WTRLFC WEBSITE

A great read. Only started watching the town mid 60’s so didn’t see the great town teams of the 50’s but in my time watching Ian Wright is probably the best centre I have seen in a town shirt. No doubt other fans will have their favourites but to see Ian in full flow was a magnificent sight and I’m sure whoever the winger was outside him knew they were going to have some spaces to run into and score tries. If he hadn’t had his injury problems I’m sure his try tally would have been much greater. How he only got an under 24 cap I don’t know, maybe if he hadn’t been so loyal to the town and had moved to a more fashionable club he would have got more international recognition. A true, loyal, town great. 

Ian Wright is still my favourite Town player since i first started watching them in 1963 . Apart from his speed and uncanny ability to intercept , he was a great tackler (as Iain MacCorqourdale will probably agree) , and not only a top try scorer but a provider as well , his wingers benefitting from his breaks .Yet another Townie who with another Club would surely have had many International caps .

Archived