Ex Players

Packer Spout

I bumped into one of the Ex Players in the Regal yesterday and great to hear that they are getting involved in the club. All of them are now members and will vote and help the club. They will get one place on the Board after the AGM. This means new people will now be involved and not the same people voting for each other. This is good news as the Ex Players is a big movement and can help with the club at heart.

If true good news - in my opinion the more people that want to be involved in the club the better and I have said for a long time that ex players have a big part to play in the current day club and i think they can be especially used to enhance the match day experience mixing with supporters etc 

2 hours ago, Packer Spout said:

I bumped into one of the Ex Players in the Regal yesterday and great to hear that they are getting involved in the club. All of them are now members and will vote and help the club. They will get one place on the Board after the AGM. This means new people will now be involved and not the same people voting for each other. This is good news as the Ex Players is a big movement and can help with the club at heart.

I look forward to seeing them all at the AGM. The cynic in me wonders why, with one or two exceptions, they're all suddenly interested in events at the club when they've never shown the slightest interest in the club over the years.

This is where I have to disagree – the club in its current make up is not doing great and could do better, I think we all agree on that.

So therefore when it is mentioned that a group of people with strong connections to the club are wanting to be involved, the first word mentioned on here is “cynic”

What could be cynical about more people wanting to get involved in the club? Are we saying it a closed shop?

The only way forward for the club and to make the club stronger is a more the merrier, all inclusive attitude

3 hours ago, Packer Spout said:

On what basis will they get one place on the board? I thought under the cooperative fan run model it was one member one vote. Are they being treated differently from other members?  What next a place on the board for former coaches?

23 minutes ago, Gavinr said:

This is where I have to disagree – the club in its current make up is not doing great and could do better, I think we all agree on that.

So therefore when it is mentioned that a group of people with strong connections to the club are wanting to be involved, the first word mentioned on here is “cynic”

What could be cynical about more people wanting to get involved in the club? Are we saying it a closed shop?

The only way forward for the club and to make the club stronger is a more the merrier, all inclusive attitude

The only ex player I can recall seeing at the club in recent times is Martin Hall. Tony Pratt was a regular until a few years ago but he seems to have taken his ball home. He had a group of ex players in the box he had but when Tony bailed out they stopped coming also.

I'd like to know who these people with " strong connections to the club " are and where have they been until now ?

14 minutes ago, Anita Bath said:

On what basis will they get one place on the board? I thought under the cooperative fan run model it was one member one vote. Are they being treated differently from other members?  What next a place on the board for former coaches?

It is one member one vote. The only members of the board will be the ones that are voted on by the membership. Martin Hall is the only ex player standing that I am aware of so it's possible he will be a successful candidate.

The only other way I understand that people can get on is to be "co opted" on by the board to fill specific roles/skill sets 

I think Emon Ratu and Chris Churm have both been on the board previously on this basis and I think they had some success in terms of improving relations between the club and its ex players 

42 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

The only ex player I can recall seeing at the club in recent times is Martin Hall. Tony Pratt was a regular until a few years ago but he seems to have taken his ball home. He had a group of ex players in the box he had but when Tony bailed out they stopped coming also.

I'd like to know who these people with " strong connections to the club " are and where have they been until now ?

John Stapleton comes all the time - its a slow process but I'm sure loads more could be encouraged to come along. It would be great to see all of the ex players trying to help the plight.

Years ago dozens used to come along but they have stopped coming for some reason. Kevin Flanagan, Steve McGiffen, Kevin Lowe. A mini bus used to come from Leigh regularly. This can only be a good thing.

If as stated they have also swelled the membership that is great as every penny counts, surely a representative could then be co-opted to the Board under the current rules? As I understand it after the election process there will still be 6 vacancies on the Board.

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I look forward to seeing them all at the AGM. The cynic in me wonders why, with one or two exceptions, they're all suddenly interested in events at the club when they've never shown the slightest interest in the club over the years.

They have probably noticed what a bloody Fred Karnos it is under the current setup

I attend the annual Hornets ex players evening excellently run by Tony and Gareth Pratt. The feeling for the club and the game is fantastic, if any of those Gentlemen wish to get involved in the club now, i for one welcome it. I dont care about why not in the past, thats gone. Lets look forward, we have  hit rock bottom so the only way is up. 

Archived