More will follow me to Rugby League

He's getting his message over and speaks well.As usual,it's largely down to money - I'm not sure if people on here fully appreciate how much money there is in union these days,even if it is funded by seemingly enormous losses.Danny Care is ofcourse from Leeds,so knows the game well.

5 minutes ago, frank said:

Age 31.I suspect at that age he couldn't get a decent contract in Union, that's the only reason why he wants to try League.

who cares its positive news and super league spoken in in a positive way in a national newspaper.. 

It's a good article and insightful. It makes sense that many union players will be impressed by diving RL winger tries, I would think players of either code generally respect each other for the toughness it takes to play.

I would love to see Cipriani and Care in RL unfortunately salary will be a big issue as these two would want Widdop wadges at least and would be unproven in RL so a big gamble for a club. 

I hope Burrell goes well in RL and we do see others come over to RL from union. 

2 hours ago, frank said:

Age 31.I suspect at that age he couldn't get a decent contract in Union, that's the only reason why he wants to try League.

I doubt it there are probably players in the RU championship earning more than he’ll get in RL. It’s probably to see whether he could’ve made it in RL so he’ll have no regrets when he finishes. 

1 minute ago, RayCee said:

He started out playing RL so seems to want to give it a go. I hope he can transition well.

He was a good player, hard runner, good tackler and his hands were pretty good. He was unlucky to be playing at a time where they preferred playing a bigger 10 in the centres with a smaller 10 playing 10 and then a good number of centres vying for 1 position really.

I think the bigger question of his transition is more where will he play and does that work out in the squad. for example if he turns into a good centre, great, arguably Warrington could do with the cover there.. if he is more of a 2nd row then maybe his opportunities would be more limited??

12 hours ago, frank said:

He had other offers in Union and no doubt these would have been very attractive and probably more than what Warrington offered.

I'd be surprised if some of the names he mentioned did switch codes. Too much risk. Maybe when they are older and looking for that final payday, like Andy Powell at Wigan, we might see one or two, but not in their prime.

Would certainly be interesting if some did though.

Didn't Shaun Edwards allude to a couple of current England union internationals indicating a willingness to switch codes?.. Then again, he also said he was going to be Wigan coach next year, and we know how true that statement was!

Newham Dockers - Champions 2013. Rugby League For East London. 100% Cockney Rugby League!

Twitter: @NewhamDockersRL - Get following!

www.newhamdockers.co.uk

Just now, EastLondonMike said:

I'd be surprised if some of the names he mentioned did switch codes. Too much risk. Maybe when they are older and looking for that final payday, like Andy Powell at Wigan, we might see one or two, but not in their prime.

Would certainly be interesting if some did though.

Didn't Shaun Edwards allude to a couple of current England union internationals indicating a willingness to switch codes?.. Then again, he also said he was going to be Wigan coach next year, and we know how true that statement was!

If players did it it will be like Burrell and for the challenge. That final payday will still be bigger in Union.

I think most Union converts came to League in the past for the signing on fee, which was tax free, and termed "compensation for loss of amateur status"   Most of the converts were Welsh lads.  So they didn't come for the weekly wage, which they were getting anyway in Union (unofficially) tax free.  Those were the big stars.  The others, non internationals probably came for the money, the likes of Boston, Colin Dixon, John Freeman, Clive Sullivan etc all great players, came for the weekly pay.  They couldn't get into a top class Welsh side and get paid for playing for obvious reasons.

Different today of course.  But I think even today most top Union stars went to private schools,  If you're a promising sportsman at a state school, I've no doubt the local soccer side will be looking you over, and of course in the North the RL sides will be looking too.  If I were an ambitious Union club I'd have my scouts watching St Pats, Lock Lane or Siddal for promising young lads.  But they don't appear to do that.  Perhaps as Burrell says it's a class thing.  It certainly was in Ikram Butt's young days.  He played Union at Headingley (forerunner of Leeds Tykes etc.)   He and Neil Summers were told in no uncertain terms that they'd never get into the first team there.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

Archived