• Queensland
    • Draw
  2. 2. What will the winning margin be?

• 9 points or less
    • 10 to 19 points
    • 20 points or more

www.png.814492d49dd26bddfa87ce0653161d57.png

Singing the Blues

If you read reports doing the rounds now, it looks like Blues are likely to ring the changes, maybe up to five of them.

Maybe the biggie is all the talk about half back, should Nathan Cleary be replaced by, for example Mitchell Pearce (or a n other)?

Would Peace or s o else be a more dominant half back?

Moving on, other changes would be due to injury and for.

So the other parts of the team come under the spotlight: outside backs, front row and the bench players.

Straight away Klemmer is out with a broken wrist, so it is reckoned Lodge will be in there on Origin debut.

TTurbo back in with Cotric out?

How safe is Walker in the team?

Will Wighton find a place?

Should Crichton keep his bench place?

The other view is not to mess about with the team that much as they were there and thereabouts in Game1.

There’s always the temptation to meddle and make things worse. 

What do you reckon?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maroon Zone (well it rhymes in Oz)

Surely Qld selectors will leave well alone?

Still if Ofahengaue is out with that serious cut on his leg, which I believe he is, then maybe Glasby or Wallace will be moved in.

I would think Ben Hunt will continue at hooker as that seemed to work out okay in the first game.

Otherwise leave well alone an build on that performance?

On 12 June 2019 at 09:22, Graham said:

www.png.814492d49dd26bddfa87ce0653161d57.png

Singing the Blues

If you read reports doing the rounds now, it looks like Blues are likely to ring the changes, maybe up to five of them.

Maybe the biggie is all the talk about half back, should Nathan Cleary be replaced by, for example Mitchell Pearce (or a n other)?

Would Peace or s o else be a more dominant half back?

Moving on, other changes would be due to injury and for.

So the other parts of the team come under the spotlight: outside backs, front row and the bench players.

Straight away Klemmer is out with a broken wrist, so it is reckoned Lodge will be in there on Origin debut.

TTurbo back in with Cotric out?

How safe is Walker in the team?

Will Wighton find a place?

Should Crichton keep his bench place?

The other view is not to mess about with the team that much as they were there and thereabouts in Game1.

There’s always the temptation to meddle and make things worse. 

What do you reckon?

Pearce & Maloney in the halves 

Ferguson to replace Cotric on the wing

K.Simms to replace an out of form Crichton

Would love to see Dale Finucane given a go at Origin.

Finucane should be in the NSW team. Mr Consistant who does the hard work and will never let you down. Had he been a Queenslander he would be in the 17 for the past few years. He plays as a Prop and would be a good replacement for Klemmer. He is very mobile and a great defender.

Crichton should be replaced by Wade Graham. He again is a quality player and very consistant and can create things from nothing. he is also very versatile. He may have played just a couple of games since his long injury lay off but I would still have him in there. He is somebody NSW need to help them create and score points.

Not sure why Cleary is so rated. He doesnt create or do much in attack for me. He has a decent kicking game but thats it. I would have a maverick like Walker over Cleary with somebody like Pearce or Maloney that organize and create the things for NSW. NSW need a dominant organizing Half and then a running half for me.

I dont see how Napa deserves a spot for Queensland. I think others like Jarrod Wallace, Christian Welch and Tim Glasby are better and offer far more. Apart from that the Queensland Team should stay as it is.

I don’t like the look and make up of that Welsh team, too many changes, players out of position in key defensive positions. Just a group of individuals. Can’t see them winning but would like to be proved wrong. 

Queensland should target their edges. 

Don't like the look of this NSW team at all.

They have a quality back three but playing two organising halves means they don't have enough of a running threat from the half backs.  I'm also concerned that I can't see a natural fit at dummy half if Cook can't play the full 80.

But, more importantly.

Josh Morris was the best centre on the park in the last game and Mitchell is hot and cold but the best centre in the world.  Why would you drop them both to play a full back/winger and a full back/stand off in the centres.  I can see the logic in Tom Trbojevic but Wighton is still learning the stand off role and now he is thrown into the centre which is probably the most important position on the pitch for defensive structure.

As for the pack and bench.  Far too many edge backrowers (4) in the 17 and not enough size in the middles off the bench.  In the first game Klemmer played straight through for the first 50 minutes and NSW matched the Maroons but as soon as Klemmer went off they started to lose the power game.  You can't lose Klemmer and also Haas and not replace them with some size.

Fittler is clearly trying to go for a more mobile pack and play a high speed game.

Origin is never predictable and so we may see the Blues pull one out the bag but I think Fittler has taken a big gamble with this team.

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

First the good... you’ve picked Finucane on form and very competitive, he won’t let you down.

But overall  you have me puzzled this time.

Where’s the consistency?

You’ve stuck with Nathan Cleary, not wanting to damage a young player’s confidence. Then you’ve gone and done the opposite to Latrell Mitchell after one less than good performance in Origin 1.

Right then while we are at it, why have you dropped Morris.He’s both top quality and consistent.

Wighton before Mitchell or even Croker? No, not for me.

Jarrod Croker is the best centre in the NRL based on current form. I love Jack Wighton and have no doubt he'll do a great job in the centres, judging by how seamless his transition from FB to the halves was. But how anybody can think he'll do a better job there than Latrell or Croker is crazy. Very knee jerk reaction once again from NSW. QLD by 10-14 sadly. 

20 hours ago, Graham said:

First the good... you’ve picked Finucane on form and very competitive, he won’t let you down.

But overall  you have me puzzled this time.

Where’s the consistency?

You’ve stuck with Nathan Cleary, not wanting to damage a young player’s confidence. Then you’ve gone and done the opposite to Latrell Mitchell after one less than good performance in Origin 1.

Right then while we are at it, why have you dropped Morris.He’s both top quality and consistent.

Wighton before Mitchell or even Croker? No, not for me.

Graham, can I ask you a question.

Who are you talking to?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." — Sir Humphrey Appleby.

"If someone doesn't value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove that they should value it? If someone doesn't value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" — Sam Harris

4 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Jarrod Croker is the best centre in the NRL based on current form. I love Jack Wighton and have no doubt he'll do a great job in the centres, judging by how seamless his transition from FB to the halves was. But how anybody can think he'll do a better job there than Latrell or Croker is crazy. Very knee jerk reaction once again from NSW. QLD by 10-14 sadly. 

Must be weird for Croker and Wighton that Wighton is picked at left centre and his club captain Croker, one of the stand out centres in the competition, is left out.

1 minute ago, Dunbar said:

Must be weird for Croker and Wighton that Wighton is picked at left centre and his club captain Croker, one of the stand out centres in the competition, is left out.

Croker has all the attributes Blues would find useful if Fittler really must leave Mitchell out.

He's one of those players who plays his position at the top level but also adds vision and composure.

Queensland have made just two changes to their Origin 1 side. (Napa is promoted from bench to the starting side after his strong showing in Game 1.)

• Arrow and Ofahengue are out due to injury.
  • Wallace replaces Ofahengue who's had some good form for Titans. I believe he's had two or three previous Origin run outs.
  • Also in is Tim Glasby - hard working and consistent.

Maybe Squechy Welch could have taken one of those places, but hey let's see how it goes.

It was good to listen to Cooper Cronk on 360 as ever and some points he made. He mentioned NSW look left heavy and dont have a big Bench. Again there doesnt seem to be a clear strategy from NSW and maybe thats on purpose. Maybe Fittler in his way is trying to confuse QLD and get them wondering what exactly the NSW lot have in store. Having 2 Centres who do not normally play as Centres is a risk that could be a good one or a bad one. The way NSW team is it certainly is not one you could say is predictable and easy to work out.

Archived