Total Rugby League Fans Forum
John Drake

And our next Prime Minister will be...

Who will be our next Prime Minister?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to pick one of the available candidates, who would you choose?

• Michael Gove
    • Matt Hancock
    • Mark Harper
    • Jeremy Hunt
    • Sajid Javid
    • Boris Johnson
    • Andrea Leadsom
    • Esther McVey
    • Dominic Raab
    • Rory Stewart
  2. 2. And which of them do you think will actually end up with the job?

• Michael Gove
    • Matt Hancock
    • Mark Harper
    • Jeremy Hunt
    • Sajid Javid
    • Boris Johnson
    • Andrea Leadsom
    • Esther McVey
    • Dominic Raab
    • Rory Stewart

The country getting a new Prime Minister is quite a big deal. 

We should probably have a separate thread on this (a decision I may live to regret, I know).

Please keep the discussion civil. Take this as an advance warning: we won't tolerate it descending into personal abuse.

4 minutes ago, John Drake said:

we won't tolerate it descending into personal abuse.

Even about the candidates? That might be tricky.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

I can't see anyone but Johnson winning.

The Tory members who are voting for him will lap up his tubthumping and, like him, leave it to the little people to fuss over the annoying things like detail and reality.

I doubt I'd support a single thing he'd actually do but Rory Stewart at least gives the impression of having thought about things.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

It's an absolute pile of rubbish and none of them, with the exception of Stewart, are showing the required honesty on brexit. So Stewart would get my vote if I had one. Of course, he has no chance whatsoever.

It's still for Boris to lose as far as I can see, but he's quite capable of losing it and I suspect the "anyone but Boris tendency" might end up with Gove or Hunt taking the spoils.

Just now, gingerjon said:

I can't see anyone but Johnson winning.

The Tory members who are voting for him will lap up his tubthumping and, like him, leave it to the little people to fuss over the annoying things like detail and reality.

I doubt I'd support a single thing he'd actually do but Rory Stewart at least gives the impression of having thought about things.

Stewart's Brexit plan is to effectively keep pumping May's deal until the planet is consumed in the eventual destruction of the solar system.  Still, it's more realistic than the other candidates' plans...

If you forced me to vote, I'd probably vote Stewart, even though he's sucking up the party whip about keeping "no deal" on the table in today's Opposition Day vote.

I think Boris Johnson will win as the selfishness of the party faithful will seal clap through the huge Trumpian campaign of Empire, Brexit unicorns and huge tax cuts for those who don't need it (except the Scots who are in that cold part of the north, even further north than Manchester, that Boris vaguely remembers from school lessons)

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

Just looking at the list depresses me! Yeah will probably be Boris I imagine.  I cant even begin to imagine what it would be like if Esther Mcvey won...its a total mystery to me how there have been people on here actualy liking her and sticking up for her...total evil women(although nice hair to be fair). Also Im not falling for the Rory Stewart hype...one look at his voting record tells you once a Tory always a Tory.

For me its not a question of who will win, but how long will Boris last as PM?

Can't imagine it being a long reign, unless in the inevitable general election he really can pull the wool over peoples eyes beyond the Tory party membership.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Gray1967 said:

Just looking at the list depresses me! Yeah will probably be Boris I imagine.  I cant even begin to imagine what it would be like if Esther Mcvey won...its a total mystery to me how there have been people on here actualy liking her and sticking up for her...total evil women(although nice hair to be fair). Also Im not falling for the Rory Stewart hype...one look at his voting record tells you once a Tory always a Tory.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I chose him because for me he's the best of a very bad lot of the 10 available to choose from.

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

I think Boris will win . All that matters is the actual electorate , whatever everyone else thinks . Must say watching him today he’s come a long way since the 2016 brief leadership debacle . Really smartened up all round in how he comes across . Obviously done a lot of work ‘ packaging ‘ himself correctly for this - probably three years . The only thing is whether he’ll put his foot in it before the ballot . He’s his only danger 

Can't we have John Major back? 🙂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

3 minutes ago, shrek said:

For me its not a question of who will win, but how long will Boris last as PM?

Can't imagine it being a long reign, unless in the inevitable general election he really can pull the wool over peoples eyes beyond the Tory party membership.

It might be as little as days.  There's a good few Tory MPs who are saying they wouldn't back a Tory party with him as Leader and PM, although we've seen what Tory rebels have done in the past when asked to put up or shut up, they've shut up.  If they do put up though then he won't survive a day one confidence vote.

It'd be a perfect headstone for his career "Boris Johnson, shortest term as PM in history".

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" - Mark Twain

21 minutes ago, DavidM said:

I think Boris will win . All that matters is the actual electorate , whatever everyone else thinks . Must say watching him today he’s come a long way since the 2016 brief leadership debacle . Really smartened up all round in how he comes across . Obviously done a lot of work ‘ packaging ‘ himself correctly for this - probably three years . The only thing is whether he’ll put his foot in it before the ballot . He’s his only danger 

That's why Lynton Crosby is doing his best to keep him under wraps and away from press scrutiny. I doubt we'll very much of him in public during this campaign. 

"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

21 minutes ago, ckn said:

It might be as little as days.  There's a good few Tory MPs who are saying they wouldn't back a Tory party with him as Leader and PM, although we've seen what Tory rebels have done in the past when asked to put up or shut up, they've shut up.

Remember there’s a long list of Republicans who would absolutely, definitely, never, never, never accept a Trump Presidency. 

Until they got one.  

They’ll all fall into line, don’t worry about that.

Whoever wins it still changes nothing about the basic facts of Brexit.  

• Like 1

English, Irish, Brit, Yorkshire, European.  Citizen of the People's Republic of Yorkshire, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom and the European Union.  Critical of all it.  Proud of all it.    

Just looking at the list makes me feel sick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

Just now, Kenilworth Tiger said:

According to the Tories they’re brimming with talent . Must say I struggle to see it as well . Funny how they suddenly have all the answers to brexit and everything else - where’ve they been ?

Just now, DavidM said:

According to the Tories they’re brimming with talent . Must say I struggle to see it as well . Funny how they suddenly have all the answers to brexit and everything else - where’ve they been ?

They look at their peers on the Labour front bench and think they're better than them when in reality they're just as rubbish.  I wouldn't trust either front bench, or any of the likely candidates, with running a car boot sale stall without doing something wrong.

• Like 3

While I sympathize, those shocked that the Tories are going to vote for a Tory to be leader of the Tory party have not been paying attention. 

Edited by Bob8
  • Haha 1

"You clearly have never met Bob8 then, he's like a veritable Bryan Ferry of RL." - Johnoco 19 Jul 2014

5 minutes ago, ckn said:

They look at their peers on the Labour front bench and think they're better than them when in reality they're just as rubbish.  I wouldn't trust either front bench, or any of the likely candidates, with running a car boot sale stall without doing something wrong.

Indeed . Labour is probably even more anonymous . Jezza has got his little coterie around looking great for the cameras again but they’re just as useless . I can’t remember a more uninspiring political leadership among both parties . No wonder both are on their knees 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kenilworth Tiger said:

But does it make you feel as sick as Jo Brand, who said this on Radio 4 last night:

“Certain unpleasant characters are being thrown to the fore, and they’re very, very easy to hate, and I’m kind of thinking, why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?

"That’s just me, sorry, I’m not gonna do it, it’s purely a fantasy, but I think milk shakes are pathetic, I honestly do. Sorry.”

It's somewhat ironic that this Sunday is the third anniversary of the death of another Jo, the former MP for Batley.

I don't suppose Jo Brand will pay any sort of price for making a comment like that.

• Like 2

Just now, Martyn Sadler said:

But does it make you feel as sick as Jo Brand, who said this on Radio 4 last night:

“Certain unpleasant characters are being thrown to the fore, and they’re very, very easy to hate, and I’m kind of thinking, why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?

"That’s just me, sorry, I’m not gonna do it, it’s purely a fantasy, but I think milk shakes are pathetic, I honestly do. Sorry.”

It's somewhat ironic that this Sunday is the third anniversary of the death of another Jo, the former MP for Batley.

I don't suppose Jo Brand will pay any sort of price for making a comment like that.

No-one's arguing that Brand is anything other than an imbecile for that comment though, and deserves the same condemnation we give to others who make similar comments, we're talking about the "qualities" and "character" of the Tory candidates.

3 minutes ago, Martyn Sadler said:

I'd appreciate it if you didn't use my quote to link to that story

Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

DSC04156_edited-1_thumb.jpg

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

14 minutes ago, ckn said:

No-one's arguing that Brand is anything other than an imbecile for that comment though, and deserves the same condemnation we give to others who make similar comments, we're talking about the "qualities" and "character" of the Tory candidates.

It was on Guido. Who also quotes Nigel Farage saying that "this is incitement and the police need to act".

Because, y'know, our free thinkers have always been very keen on the police getting involved with bad jokes.

And also because, if your read what she says, she says both that she's never going to do the acid thing and that she's against the milkshake throwing.

Later, in the same programme, she also defended telling jokes that offend people. I guess there might be an irony there.

• Like 2

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

Boris for the easy win on this one. 

Seriously though how have we got to a place where Boris Johnson is going to be PM for about 3 years with a GE. 

3 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Later, in the same programme, she also defended telling jokes that offend people. I guess there might be an irony there.

Perhaps she should get together with David Argyle.

In reality the 'joke' was just more offensive than funny.

• Like 1