14-16 Jun: The Betfred League 1 Match Thread

I was at Skolars v Raiders. Raiders made the better start,  looked pretty good, won some contact and gave their hooker something to play from. Nice break up the middle and the Welsh side scored first.  Then the usual , mistakes and penalties gifting possession and ground to Skolars who took full advantage and found  ways through to line on the edges. Fist half wasn’t too bad.

There were some periods of competitive footy but Raiders defence was weak in the 2nd half. and they were punished. Then the cycle of doom , kicking the ball back to opposition from restarts , defending ,  score, repeat. 

Enjoyed the beer and happy hour ?

4 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Plenty of stufg on skolars website about new share issues and Argyll etc. Is he going to pile money in eventually or not? 

Things seem to be moving. I think they’ll be an official statement soon and I will shortly own 0.03% or something of the club! ?

1 hour ago, EssexRL said:

Things seem to be moving. I think they’ll be an official statement soon and I will shortly own 0.03% or something of the club! ?

Ha! Great.... I'd stick a few hundred into Broncos if it came up.... I still think london has so many millionaires there must be another northern or Aussie one who fancies backing us 

I enjoyed yesterday at NR by the way.... Not great crowd but to be expected against WW. Which of the remaining fixtures do you advise.... I'll make maybe 3 more this season I think

26 minutes ago, Bedfordshire Bronco said:

Ha! Great.... I'd stick a few hundred into Broncos if it came up.... I still think london has so many millionaires there must be another northern or Aussie one who fancies backing us 

I enjoyed yesterday at NR by the way.... Not great crowd but to be expected against WW. Which of the remaining fixtures do you advise.... I'll make maybe 3 more this season I think

Glad you enjoyed NR. As for future games - obviously Friday Night Lights before the Challenge Cup is a must. Great crowd, beer festival and hopefully promotion nailed! Other than that - Given current form all the next home games should be good. I’m looking forward to Oldham - great fans and a must win for both teams.  

Given the need to promote the game down south and the passion and commitment of the fans here I think there’s real scope in asking fans if they could help - not just money but I did think crowdfunding for something. 

3 hours ago, EssexRL said:

Glad you enjoyed NR. As for future games - obviously Friday Night Lights before the Challenge Cup is a must. Great crowd, beer festival and hopefully promotion nailed! Other than that - Given current form all the next home games should be good. I’m looking forward to Oldham - great fans and a must win for both teams.  

Given the need to promote the game down south and the passion and commitment of the fans here I think there’s real scope in asking fans if they could help - not just money but I did think crowdfunding for something. 

Yes am pencilled in with people already for Friday night lights and CC. 

I remember Oldham coming to Hemel and brought plenty of fans and plenty of chat... In a good way

21 minutes ago, Thunder fan said:

thunder 26 whitehaven 20, great win thunder, may i also add lots of nice haven fans though also a few idiots, using lots of bad language, very aggresive and threats of violence made, as i say lots of nice haven fans, though a few realy bad.

Massive win that for Thunder and Only Havens second defeat.

On 15/06/2019 at 18:32, ivans82 said:

Skybet have Haven at 7-4 and Coventry at 7-2 if you fancy the double .

Good job you didn't!!

Great win for Town today at our temporary home at borough park. Great performance from tylar Mellor, Ryan fieldhouse, Jamie Doran, Stevie scholey and a great conversion at the end from fui fui moi moi ?? hopefully build some momentum and fight for promotion. Up The Town 

1 hour ago, Thunder fan said:

thunder 26 whitehaven 20, great win thunder, may i also add lots of nice haven fans though also a few idiots, using lots of bad language, very aggresive and threats of violence made, as i say lots of nice haven fans, though a few realy bad.

Always a few in most team's support who can't hold their booze and want to ruin it for the real fans.... We've had plenty down here over the years... Usually a sign of having a small todger I say

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Great win for Town today at our temporary home at borough park. Great performance from tylar Mellor, Ryan fieldhouse, Jamie Doran, Stevie scholey and a great conversion at the end from fui fui moi moi ?? hopefully build some momentum and fight for promotion. Up The Town 

Trekked over from York for this. As a neutral, I'd have preferred a closer game. That said, Town scored some great tries, including a couple from their own half. Coventry, 12-16 down, were still in it going into first half stoppage time, only for Town to cross twice before the hooter for a decisive 26-12 interval lead. Ten tries to three. Announced attendance was 895. Apparently there were eight supporters on the Bears team bus. Admission £15. A 20-page programme (dreadful, I have to say) cost £2.

4 minutes ago, Hopping Mad said:

As a neutral, I'd have preferred a closer game. That said, Town scored some great tries, including a couple from their own half. Coventry, 12-16 down, were still in it going into first half stoppage time, only for Town to cross twice before the hooter for a decisive 26-12 interval lead.

I wasn't neutral so happy with the final score.

On Coventry's performance. I thought they were pretty good ball in hand. Plenty of zip and crisp passing. It was the missed tackles that caused them problems.

I was happy with the Town performance. Great to see some faces back after injury and a couple of really class tries.

What did you make of Borough Park? I enjoyed being that bit closer to the action. Hopefully the widened pitch will improve things when we go back to Derwent Park.

I'm still hoping that the new council will see the advantages of the new stadium for Allerdale.

Just now, Worky said:

What did you make of Borough Park? I enjoyed being that bit closer to the action. Hopefully the widened pitch will improve things when we go back to Derwent Park.

I'm still hoping that the new council will see the advantages of the new stadium for Allerdale.

Borough Park wasn't new to me. I've seen Reds play there a number of times over the years. First visited in 1986, when the ground was pretty much as it had been during Reds' Football League years. For viewing, I always rated it better than Derwent Park. Never liked the speedway track (except for speedway!).

Pre-match, I had a chat with some Town officials at Derwent Park. They were very optimistic Allerdale Council will give the green light for the new stadium. Here's hoping!

It’s no surprise to finally see Donny performing well now Horne has stopped tinkering with the side and is naming a settled side each week. With our best 2 forwards Brad England and Frankie Mariano still to return from injury, plus Rangi Chase in a months time, expect a strong play off push from the Dons. 

Archived