Jump to content
Total Rugby League Fans Forum
John Drake

15 Jun: SL: Catalans Dragons v London Broncos KO 5pm (UK Time) (TV)

Who will win?  

34 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

    • Catalans Dragons
      25
    • London Broncos
      9

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 15/06/19 at 16:00

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

It’s a win win for leeds though as one of their relegation rivals will lose on thursday

Happy days at Headingley then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Futtocks said:

You've abruptly changed the argument to whether P&R is a good thing or not.

Back to the original assertion - why shouldn't we find this exciting? I thought it was.

I haven't got a clue what he's on about now, we're not football so we aren't allowed to enjoy a relegation battle? why the hell not? 

Edited by dkw
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

And there’s many other sports/leagues that don’t have P&R.

let’s look at this London team that are playing great rugby beating teams against the odds, but they can’t recruit properly retain players because they cannot guarantee where they will be playing, I personally don’t think we as a sport can maintain that, it will be a massive shame if all the hard work London are doing just goes to the wall

Actually, they struggle to recruit players for two reasons IMO.  Firstly, most SL standard players are in the north of England or the antipodes (simply because those are the places where the most RL is played).  Many of those players don't want to live in London.  Secondly, whenever London produce their own high standard player, they are whisked away by a northern club and that happened when we had licensing and when we didn't.  Somebody - the RFL maybe or the new Superleague boss who doesn't seem to be doing much? - should try and tempt more investors to back the Broncos and therefore enable better wages to be paid to those players who could be tempted to either stay with the Broncos (if they are home grown) or go and play for them (if they are not).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aren’t London in SL thanks to P&R? Should have just left Widnes in to ensure minimum excitement directed to the relegation battle. 

Edited by Tex Evans Thigh

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Aren’t London in SL thanks to P&R? Should have just left Widnes in to ensure minimum excitement directed to the relegation battle. 

Depends wether your looking at it strategically or not, London bring much more to SL tgan Widnes IMO

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Saintslass said:

Actually, they struggle to recruit players for two reasons IMO.  Firstly, most SL standard players are in the north of England or the antipodes (simply because those are the places where the most RL is played).  Many of those players don't want to live in London.  Secondly, whenever London produce their own high standard player, they are whisked away by a northern club and that happened when we had licensing and when we didn't.  Somebody - the RFL maybe or the new Superleague boss who doesn't seem to be doing much? - should try and tempt more investors to back the Broncos and therefore enable better wages to be paid to those players who could be tempted to either stay with the Broncos (if they are home grown) or go and play for them (if they are not).

Its not S/L job to promote Broncos, on the plus side London is a fantastic place to live with such a diverse an cosmopolitan culture, most open minded people should embrace this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Denton Rovers RLFC said:

Or Catalans performing terrible on the back of the pressure and performance of London?

Nah, Catalans were just rubbish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Chrispmartha said:

Depends wether your looking at it strategically or not, London bring much more to SL tgan Widnes IMO

Your opinion is irrelevant. They wouldn’t be there if it wasn’t for P&R and now they are you want to trash the mechanism that got them there for the worst reason I can think of - because it’s too exciting. 

  • Like 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sparse Attendance said:

I’d sack McNamara they have gone backwards from last year with some poor signings. Matty Smith being one of them and id guess he’s getting a decent payday. 

Backwards from last year? Remember how awful Catalans were 12 months ago? How it looked like their players (with a handful of honourable exceptions) looked like they couldn't be bothered?

They are a long way above that, regardless of today's performance.

  • Like 2

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get the feeling that certain Leeds fans are fearing the drop and why they are against P and R now.

The wins by HKR and the Broncos has dragged the likes of Huddersfield and Salford into the fight. We have now 5 teams that are fighting to stay up. Wheres the problem with that?

If Danny Ward doesnt get Coach of the year there is something wrong. he has taken a team expected to win the odd game and got them winning a number of games that you would never have expected them too. Its a shame the vultures (Other SL Clubs) are already signing his players. I hope London stay up and one of the Northern team even if it is Leeds, go down.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Your opinion is irrelevant. They wouldn’t be there if it wasn’t for P&R and now they are you want to trash the mechanism that got them there for the worst reason I can think of - because it’s too exciting. 

Ha ha, very well summed up, its madness. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

I get the feeling that certain Leeds fans are fearing the drop and why they are against P and R now.

The wins by HKR and the Broncos has dragged the likes of Huddersfield and Salford into the fight. We have now 5 teams that are fighting to stay up. Wheres the problem with that?

If Danny Ward doesnt get Coach of the year there is something wrong. he has taken a team expected to win the odd game and got them winning a number of games that you would never have expected them too. Its a shame the vultures (Other SL Clubs) are already signing his players. I hope London stay up and one of the Northern team even if it is Leeds, go down.

I hope Leeds don’t go down, it’ll make the championship a little boring. Hope London stay up though, Wardy has done a fantastic job. Wouldn’t surprise me if they added a couple of players towards the end of the season seeing as it looks like they’ll be in contention. They’ve plenty of cap space.


Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Lowdesert said:

If London can’t get a decent crowd in next Thursday, with the importance of the game, they never will.  

 

Thursday night ... in London ... I leave you with that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Magic XIII said:

Thursday night ... in London ... I leave you with that

It’ll be c.800 announced as c.1,800.

That’s the tragedy of London. They’ve finally got it right on and off the field but very few care.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Your opinion is irrelevant. They wouldn’t be there if it wasn’t for P&R and now they are you want to trash the mechanism that got them there for the worst reason I can think of - because it’s too exciting. 

My opinion is just as relevant or irrelevant as yours.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chrispmartha said:

My opinion is just as relevant or irrelevant as yours.

I didn’t express an opinion, I cited facts. Maybe just let this one slide buddy.


Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Lounge Room Lizard said:

I get the feeling that certain Leeds fans are fearing the drop and why they are against P and R now.

The wins by HKR and the Broncos has dragged the likes of Huddersfield and Salford into the fight. We have now 5 teams that are fighting to stay up. Wheres the problem with that?

If Danny Ward doesnt get Coach of the year there is something wrong. he has taken a team expected to win the odd game and got them winning a number of games that you would never have expected them too. Its a shame the vultures (Other SL Clubs) are already signing his players. I hope London stay up and one of the Northern team even if it is Leeds, go down.

If Leeds finish bottom under the current system we deserve to go down.

 

But if you think Leeds going down is good for the game in our country your mad IMO we are near the time to renegotiate out current TV deal and not having the best supported club in one of the most prominent Northern city’s in it will not help at sll.

 

On the other hand making sure having a club in the countries capital would help it.

 

being against P&R is as much about making sure Lindon is in SL as it is about making sure Leeds are in it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I didn’t express an opinion, I cited facts. Maybe just let this one slide buddy.

I’ll post about whatever I like thanks very much, I have a different  opinion to you that’s all, in your opinion P&R is good for SL mine is that it isn’t 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chrispmartha said:

I’ll post about whatever I like thanks very much, I have a different  opinion to you that’s all, in your opinion P&R is good for SL mine is that it isn’t 

You can post what you like but don’t complain when your opinion is challenged. 

As someone else pointed out, your original statement was that relegation was bad because it was too exciting and took attention away from the top of the table. It is also bad because you want London in SL despite P&R being the reason they are there. The statement was ridiculous and now you’ve tried to turn it into a debate about the merits of P&R.

P&R might be a bad thing, it’s been done to death, but I guarantee you one thing. Not one single person will use the argument that it is too exciting as a reason for it being bad. 

Hope that helps.

  • Thanks 1

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

It’ll be c.800 announced as c.1,800.

That’s the tragedy of London. They’ve finally got it right on and off the field but very few care.

Will you be there ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Man of Kent said:

I’ve a season ticket but can’t make Thursday nights due to work and then daughter duties. 

So you've hit the nail on the head. The suggestion no one cares is utter rubbish. I have been a ST holder for years and a Thursday night on the M25 for me sounds bonkers, but I'll give it a shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...