14 Jun: SL: St Helens v Huddersfield Giants KO 7.45pm

Who will win?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• St Helens
    • Huddersfield Giants

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/06/19 at 18:45

I can’t believe i missed Love Island for this poor game. Don’t tell me who has been evicted, but i hope it’s Garth & Ann. 

Saints scored some nice tries but Fartown were poor, ###### poor. It felt like a preseason friendly, although i don’t bother wasting money on those type of games but i imagine this what it felt like. Walmsley makes a big difference when he plays, but as usual Coote was involved in everything. 

1 hour ago, Bod said:

When Fages, Coote and Lomax click there's not much some opposition sides can do.

The only thing that i think let’s saints down at times is the tactical kicking game. The grabbers they do always bounce up nicely for the opponents, so they can make a break. Luckily last night it was only Huddersfield. 

They could still be playing now and they wouldn’t have scored a try, they spent more time throwing the ball into touch. 

I believe they had Long saying a few words before the game. I missed that bit but the people i stand with said he got a great reception. He was a brilliant RL player for Saints, as for his off the field behaviour that is a different matter. 

Do i wish him well in the rugger......erm no comment. 

Huddersfield didn't really throw much at us in attack, for which some credit has to go to our back. We clicked in attack last night and Coote was imperious.

At the start of the season, I questioned the signing, saying we would have been better moving Lomax to full back and signing Austin when the opportunity was available. However, Barba's indecisiveness meant that opportunity passed us by. I am delighted at how wrong I have been.

Coote has been wonderful at full back and Lomax is having his best season yet for us. We seem to using the squad smartly too, rotating Grace, Lees and Peyroux for squad players.

"Depleted" Huddersfield, offered very little, at times it was men against boys, literally, at times, the "depleted" Giants had 7 academy prospects in the line up, 4 of our back 5 were all academy lads, 3 of those played in last years academy team, 2 of them are in the current academy set up,  it really was damage limitation, i think most of us said, if we kept it below 50 then it's a positive.

Saints weren't as good as the media made them out to be, we were very soft defensively and at least 5 tries saw no hand laid on any Saint as they scored, they didn't have to work hard for their field position, just roll over some poor contact usually.

Credit to our lads though as we don't get the luxury of bleating about our injuries and having ready made excuses such as being "depleted", we stuck at it and only conceded 12 in the second half, i think Saints possibly made as many errors as we did.

Overall it was a poor game played in a half empty stadium-something else we get hammered for- near silence,except for a 100 or so Huddersfield fans trying to lighten their moods, super league? nope 'fraid not.

2 hours ago, meast said:

they didn't have to work hard for their field position

If you didn't think Saints were working hard last night you were watching with your eyes closed. Line speed was superb, forced errors, the forwards took the ball up in pairs throughout and spread the ball out wide at speed. It took 30 minutes for Saints to get a penalty as well. Watching the tries back there was some excellent handling and great angles from the second rowers in particular. It got a bit silly with errors in the second half when Huddersfield got on the bus home early and Saints started chucking the ball around trying to score off every play.

21 minutes ago, Moove said:

If you didn't think Saints were working hard last night you were watching with your eyes closed. Line speed was superb, forced errors, the forwards took the ball up in pairs throughout and spread the ball out wide at speed. It took 30 minutes for Saints to get a penalty as well. Watching the tries back there was some excellent handling and great angles from the second rowers in particular. It got a bit silly with errors in the second half when Huddersfield got on the bus home early and Saints started chucking the ball around trying to score off every play.

I wasn't meaning any disrespect to Saints, they played with an intensity and pace that we just couldn't match, my point was that there wasn't a lot in terms of "muscling up" from us, our line speed and collision was poor which enabled Walmsley and Thompson to punch holes and then when you add international world class backs up against a predominantly academy line up then there's only going to be one result.

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 13:54, meast said:

"Depleted" Huddersfield, offered very little, at times it was men against boys, literally, at times, the "depleted" Giants had 7 academy prospects in the line up, 4 of our back 5 were all academy lads, 3 of those played in last years academy team, 2 of them are in the current academy set up,  it really was damage limitation, i think most of us said, if we kept it below 50 then it's a positive.

Saints weren't as good as the media made them out to be, we were very soft defensively and at least 5 tries saw no hand laid on any Saint as they scored, they didn't have to work hard for their field position, just roll over some poor contact usually.

Credit to our lads though as we don't get the luxury of bleating about our injuries and having ready made excuses such as being "depleted", we stuck at it and only conceded 12 in the second half, i think Saints possibly made as many errors as we did.

Overall it was a poor game played in a half empty stadium-something else we get hammered for- near silence,except for a 100 or so Huddersfield fans trying to lighten their moods, super league? nope 'fraid not.

Depleted, really, by my reckoning you only had 5 first choice players missing - McGilvray, Cudjoe, Uate (who's been utter garbage anyway), Leeming & Wardle. Saints had 4 missing (Roby, Peyroux, Lees, Grace) so that's a pathetic excuse for your performance. You were just out-played in every department. You had a pretty much full strength pack but they got dominated down the middle. Your defence was that weak you even made Amor look good (and that's saying something as he's been garbage most of the year)

Not a great crowd, one of saint lowest in the league this year, but then again Shuddersfield can only dream of getting 9.5K even on a good day. But credit to the 50 Shudddersfield fans ( a 1 cow bell) that made the trip, you could hear them from oooh 10 yards away ?

St.Helens - The Home of record breaking Rugby Champions

Archived