Where is the Championship final being played?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Kayakman said:

Yes...but I'm invoking the reverse onus clause from the Oakes Test in my defence!

P.S.  I will attempt to go through all of the back issues to find it for you..give me some time though since I'm currently busy....I'm not even sure if the magazine will allow me a cut and paste but I'll give it a go.....I hope you know this is a one off and won't be happening all of the time.

Oakes struck down reverse onus while creating the S.1 test.

• 3 weeks later...

It's about time the RFL started making there minds up about the Championship and League 1 instead of changing things half way through a season as it not helping the sport and supporters will start walking away from going to games due to the uncertainty of what happens when you get to the half way point of the season.Come on RFL stay with a structure and stick with it.

Been some talk on twitter and in the papers today that the Championship (and by that it also means the Championship clubs as opposed to the RFL) were keen to change the final to a neutral venue.

I think having it at a neutral venue is a good idea. I think changing the system mid season is a terrible idea.

3 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Been some talk on twitter and in the papers today that the Championship (and by that it also means the Championship clubs as opposed to the RFL) were keen to change the final to a neutral venue.

Although how "neutral" is it, when it is a short drive down the M62 for one set of fans, whilst a transatlantic trip for the other?

Maybe the neutral venue should be Ottawa. Give them a taste of the game.

10 minutes ago, ojx said:

Although how "neutral" is it, when it is a short drive down the M62 for one set of fans, whilst a transatlantic trip for the other?

In fairness if you're going to play in a British competition, 99% of the time the neutral venue will be in Britain, you can't complain about that.

The only issue I can see is if we have a TWP v Toulouse final in a virtually empty stadium . People have touted Headingly as a venue and I think it would look bad when screened. The game would have to be played at a smaller ground . Having said that with the way results are going and teams slipping up that may not be an issue . An early decision on a neutral venue would give the opportunity to promote ticket sales but could mean a flat atmosphere if teams with a low away support both make the final.

32 minutes ago, ojx said:

There must be a suitable stadium in or near Reykjavik.  That would seem to be the fairest way of settling it. 

19 minutes ago, Canis Lupus said:

The only issue I can see is if we have a TWP v Toulouse final in a virtually empty stadium . People have touted Headingly as a venue and I think it would look bad when screened. The game would have to be played at a smaller ground . Having said that with the way results are going and teams slipping up that may not be an issue . An early decision on a neutral venue would give the opportunity to promote ticket sales but could mean a flat atmosphere if teams with a low away support both make the final.

Agreed. Previously it has been "finals day" with the L1 Final/L1 playoff final too. Hopefully that would work at Headingley, especially if they only initially opened the terracing of the south stand first as opposed to the seating bit at the top too.

If honest it's all about TWP making the final that matters for me rather than the venue. If Leigh make second or third and win that game they could have a league trip to Toronto followed by a possible trip to Toulouse and then back to Toronto. If they lose that game but make the final it would be another trip to Toronto as it stands and that IMO is a lot to ask both club and supporters. York Bradford and Fev will have a big say in it but the scenario is possible.

1 hour ago, Tommygilf said:

I think having it at a neutral venue is a good idea. I think changing the system mid season is a terrible idea.

Home venue seems a decent and fair reward for being the highest qualifier.

Changing mid-season - either way - shows up the RFL forward planning again.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

17 minutes ago, Canis Lupus said:

If honest it's all about TWP making the final that matters for me rather than the venue. If Leigh make second or third and win that game they could have a league trip to Toronto followed by a possible trip to Toulouse and then back to Toronto. If they lose that game but make the final it would be another trip to Toronto as it stands and that IMO is a lot to ask both club and supporters. York Bradford and Fev will have a big say in it but the scenario is possible.

It is a lot to ask in terms of travel for those teams.

But why are the 12 UK chairmen only thinking about it now?  It was obvious to me at the start of the season that we could have an issue with this.

A decision has been made and rightly or wrongly, they have to stick to it this year.  Change it to a neutral venue next year, then we all continue to know what we're playing for.

I doubt many would make a final in Toronto, we'd only get one week notice and it would be difficult to arrange time off etc.  Although I'd have a bloody good go at it if we (Fev) got there. Toulouse would be fine, it only needs one night away and is often cheaper than getting a train to London.

A switched on UK chairman would hire a big screen at the stadium for the fans to view the game on.

Anyhow, I'm flying out to Toronto on Friday and am really looking forward to what will probably be a once in a lifetime experience.

34 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Agreed. Previously it has been "finals day" with the L1 Final/L1 playoff final too. Hopefully that would work at Headingley, especially if they only initially opened the terracing of the south stand first as opposed to the seating bit at the top too.

Last time it was there (Fev v Leigh), they didn't open the south stand.

The crowd looked quite good on TV, since the cameras couldn't really see the south stand.

5 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Absolutely, just like the Super League Grand Final...…………….

Whoa. You're good.

No, wait. My mistake. Utterly and completely irrelevant.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

1 minute ago, gingerjon said:

Whoa. You're good.

No, wait. My mistake. Utterly and completely irrelevant.

So it is a decent and fair reward for the Championship to have its Grand Final at the highest ranked teams home venue (which has never happened before),  but not the Super League? Not that utterly and completely irrelevant I don't think.

Just now, Private Baldrick said:

So it is a decent and fair reward for the Championship to have its Grand Final at the highest ranked teams home venue (which has never happened before),  but not the Super League? Not that utterly and completely irrelevant I don't think.

Yup.

Because the ultimate reward is promotion, not just a title. It is therefore fair that the higher ranked team gets a greater reward for their performance in the league season.

If RL teams in the top division were awash with 70,000 capacity stadiums then playing it at home venues might become relevant. Right now, it isn't. It's a deflection.

2 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yup.

Because the ultimate reward is promotion, not just a title. It is therefore fair that the higher ranked team gets a greater reward for their performance in the league season.

If RL teams in the top division were awash with 70,000 capacity stadiums then playing it at home venues might become relevant. Right now, it isn't. It's a deflection.

Don't be silly.

The higher ranked team already gets the benefit of home advantage in the earlier rounds.

And your daft comment about 70,000 cap stadiums is the deflection.  Finals are generally played at neutral venues, which I'm sure you know, but true to form, you're being deliberately contrary.

5 minutes ago, gingerjon said:

Yup.

Fair do's, our opinions differ, quelle surprise.

4 minutes ago, David Shepherd said:

Don't be silly.

The higher ranked team already gets the benefit of home advantage in the earlier rounds.

And your daft comment about 70,000 cap stadiums is the deflection.  Finals are generally played at neutral venues, which I'm sure you know, but true to form, you're being deliberately contrary.

Nope. Not deliberately. It should be a home tie for the highest ranked qualifier.

There's no benefit to the wider game by having it at any neutral venue and the lower ranked side hasn't done anything to earn the right to take an advantage off the higher ranked one.

Finals are generally played at neutral venues. That doesn't mean they all are nor that it's always right to do so. Football non-league play-offs, National League aside, are normally played on the basis that the higher ranked team gets home advantage, for example.

Archived