Where is the Championship final being played?

58 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

So it is a decent and fair reward for the Championship to have its Grand Final at the highest ranked teams home venue (which has never happened before),  but not the Super League? Not that utterly and completely irrelevant I don't think.

I agree witn your point. Prior to the super 8s the grand finals for the championship have always been played at a neutral venue. Whether promotion was at stake or not. 

It gives the competition a status it deserves having the final at a prominent venue. 

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Toronto finishes in first place and then wins its playoff games the final should be in Toronto...anything else is, for many obvious reasons, clearly stupid.

Here we go again - the  Championship / RFL making decisions part-way through a season.....AGAIN

And making themselves look small-time and amateurish..... AGAIN

Literally, the minute that TW failed to beat London, it must have been blindingly obvious to everyone that there was a very high probability that Toronto would be in pole position again this season?

So, why are we even discussing this in JULY??? Oh yes, because the Championship / L1 / RFL are acting like a bunch of incompetents.... AGAIN

It's all a bit of a farce to be honest with the RFL. 

During the eights last year, they decided to change the timing of the last game between Salford V TO, to mid-week. So all of us who had already booked flights/hotels and time off work got royally screwed.

We can't book any flights or hotels to Canada yet... if (and it's looking like it's not a big if to be honest) that the final will be in Toronto. How can you plan to fly across the Atlantic with a weeks notice? The TWP fans would have a similar problem coming the other way. (anyway it's not a given it will be Toronto.. it could be a Leigh v Fev final, or Bradford York)

It should have been held before the SL final, that way would probably guarantee a full house

If they hold it at Lamport the place will be bursting at the seams and we would put on a show that will knock yer socks off...in fact I think this would be a good time for Meghan to drag Harry (RL patron I believe?) back for a visit to her old stomping grounds...

on the other hand if it is a neutral venue ie UK I will be there come hell or high water and I'm sure I won't be the only Canadian..indeed anyy self respecting fan would not/should not/cannot miss a chance to see his or her club hoist a cup...

5 minutes ago, Kayakman said:

If you want a full house hold it in Toronto.

Yes, i believe you, I know that they put on a good bash.

I just looked up flights and hotels for me and the Mrs (just on the off chance I hasten to add). It will cost us around €4K to go over for 4 days. 

28 minutes ago, kiggy said:

Yes, i believe you, I know that they put on a good bash.

I just looked up flights and hotels for me and the Mrs (just on the off chance I hasten to add). It will cost us around €4K to go over for 4 days. 

Try dropping down to business class. It will be cheaper.

rldfsignature.jpg

18 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Try dropping down to business class. It will be cheaper.

What ? Go scutter class ? ?  

It's cheap booking in advance, but anyone travelling then will have a weeks notice, so the price will be considerably higher. Still, if TO do manage a final, come hell or high water I will be there.

Let's see what actually comes out of the meeting... BUT no other sport would even be discussing this mid-way through the season. It's doing a disservice to amateur sports to call it an amateur decision!

And to all those saying "all major finals must be at a neutral venue"... we have that for the GF and the Cup final, but it's by no means set in stone or something we always do. The equivalent game for the last 4 years has been the MPG, which was hosted by the top qualifier. The CC semis are always at a neutral venue, but the SL semis are not. We are not consistent on this.

And of course it's not something that other sports always do either - someone above pointed out an English football example (e.g. Warrington Town last season hosted their own playoff final - which of course was lost...). Traditions vary across sports and levels e.g. in N American sports Toronto won the NBA finals via a series in which the higher-ranked team gets more home games (albeit it was their away form wot won it), whereas New England won the Superbowl to be crowned NFL champs - a game at a neutral venue. When the Brisbane Broncos or the Storm play in the NRL GF, it's in Sydney. And may well be against a Sydney team. There's not just one way to do things. 

Personally, I think the best system for the promotion final is for hosting rights to be won on the field - which is the system apparently in place... but there's a case for a neutral venue final, and that would be fine too. What certainly is not fine is deciding that half-way through the season.

11 hours ago, mrfranco said:

Let's see what actually comes out of the meeting... BUT no other sport would even be discussing this mid-way through the season. It's doing a disservice to amateur sports to call it an amateur decision!

And to all those saying "all major finals must be at a neutral venue"... we have that for the GF and the Cup final, but it's by no means set in stone or something we always do. The equivalent game for the last 4 years has been the MPG, which was hosted by the top qualifier. The CC semis are always at a neutral venue, but the SL semis are not. We are not consistent on this.

And of course it's not something that other sports always do either - someone above pointed out an English football example (e.g. Warrington Town last season hosted their own playoff final - which of course was lost...). Traditions vary across sports and levels e.g. in N American sports Toronto won the NBA finals via a series in which the higher-ranked team gets more home games (albeit it was their away form wot won it), whereas New England won the Superbowl to be crowned NFL champs - a game at a neutral venue. When the Brisbane Broncos or the Storm play in the NRL GF, it's in Sydney. And may well be against a Sydney team. There's not just one way to do things. 

Personally, I think the best system for the promotion final is for hosting rights to be won on the field - which is the system apparently in place... but there's a case for a neutral venue final, and that would be fine too. What certainly is not fine is deciding that half-way through the season.

The MPG wasn't a grand final though. It was a relegation play off not an equivalent game. Wasn't it the 4th and 5th placed sides? 

Warrington Town are at the 7th level of English football. It's a regional league. 

If you want to do things more than one way then you can always play the super league grand final at St Helens ?

It doesn't matter this year Toronto will win wherever it is played, even if it is on the flat pitch at Edgbaston ?

33 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Confirmed: It'll be at the ground of the highest ranked team, as agreed before the start of the season. 

Good, good.

Whatever the rights or wrongs, would have been ridiculous to change the rules midseason.

Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. (Terry Pratchett)

So now it has been decided and agw the CGF will be at Lamport. Next business on the agenda is to get a crowdfunding page going to bring Parky to Lamport. Air Transat business class, all he can drink and eat on the flight, topnotch hotel, limo to Lamport, bucket of tokens for the beer garden, cheese chili dogs and poutine, intro on the field at halftime and then he can present Josh McCrone with the trophy. Maybe a side trip to Ottawa hosted by Eric and then airfare home plus taxi to his abode He will be a believer by the time he gets back. we can do this folks!!!

Archived