Where is the Championship final being played?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Liverpool Rover said:

The Grand Final should be at a neutral venue IMO but as it was decided at the beginning of the season that it would be held at the highest placed team then that is what should happen. As it stands now though it is possible for Leigh to have to make three trips to Toronto in the space of just over a month.

Nah! This is Rugby League, important stuff like this should be decided when the season is almost over.

“Few thought him even a starter.There were many who thought themselves smarter. But he ended PM, CH and OM. An Earl and a Knight of the Garter.”

Clement Attlee.

9 hours ago, TheReaper said:

Pretty sure I said this when it was announced,  but what a god-awful format. What on earth is wrong with 1v4 and 2v3, or if you really want to reward 1st place,  1 gets the bye and you go 2v5 and 3v4. Being able to lose and still get through seems silly (obviously not when it's a best-of series).

I've always thought this too. And it really brings it home to you when you have to try and explain the format to newcomers.

What really amazed me was the number of people who cheered the re-introduction of this system on the basis that the middle 8s plus MPG was "too complicated"... 

Toronto should be promoted as champions for finishing top of the table.  There would then be no need for any of these arguments about venues.  Toronto are clearly the most consistant team throughout the season and should go up on that basis.  Had it been any other team at the top (particularly Featherstone!), then I would say the same.

All those years Featherstone finished top and there was no possibility of promotion were damned frustrating.  The best team should be promoted, not the team who hits the best form/has the fewest injuries for a month at the end of the season.

8 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Toronto should be promoted as champions for finishing top of the table.  There would then be no need for any of these arguments about venues.  Toronto are clearly the most consistant team throughout the season and should go up on that basis.  Had it been any other team at the top (particularly Featherstone!), then I would say the same.

All those years Featherstone finished top and there was no possibility of promotion were damned frustrating.  The best team should be promoted, not the team who hits the best form/has the fewest injuries for a month at the end of the season....

...Or has the best dual reg players.

No reserves,but resilience,persistence and determination are omnipotent.                       

8 minutes ago, Tubby said:

All those years Featherstone finished top and there was no possibility of promotion were damned frustrating.  The best team should be promoted, not the team who hits the best form/has the fewest injuries for a month at the end of the season.

Problem is that there is an unbalanced fixture list with the 'Bash' games. Whereas this season's top league position is unlikely to be affected by those games there is always that possibility.

14 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Problem is that there is an unbalanced fixture list with the 'Bash' games. Whereas this season's top league position is unlikely to be affected by those games there is always that possibility.

Hence a Championship and a League Leaders award.

14 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I understand there is a slight imbalance and that could have a bearing on final positions and I've always believed that the Bash games, if they must be a league game, should simply be a relocated home/away fixture for clubs with the club losing home advantage compensated in some way.  Even better, make the Bash the first round of a cup competition or similar.

Obviously, I realise that I'm a luddite and possible too stupid to be allowed to follow RL, but I think a simple balanced fixture list with the top team promoted and the bottom team relegated would work quite well.

so if toulouse finish 2nd and leigh finish 3rd.leighs final matches to try to get to the final will be toronto(a)league toulouse(a)play off.toronto(a) play off and then the final in toronto again.has anybody actually died of jet lag

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Totally agree, but the final itself should not have to carry an extra advantage.

Attempt at irony Harry. (don't do sarcasm in response to anyone's respected viewpoint) I agree with your post and would add that it is utterly absurd and out of order to expect part-timers to make three (maybe even four) trips over the Atlantic in just over a month!

15 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

From next season it should absolutely be held at a neutral ground. 

Not just a finals day but a finals weekend. 

Academy, l1, 9, masters, touch, womens, championship, NCL at headingley 

Start selling that amazing corporate hospitality now

A bit unfair on the other teams for Leeds to get home advantage in the final. 

5 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Not true. They only have to beat three of the four teams that finished above them.

Yes it's quite true.  To win the title they have win the Elimination Final, Minor Semi-Final, Preliminary Final and then Grand Final, four sudden-death matches which therefore will all be against a different opponent because winning will eliminate the other team from contention.

2 hours ago, Tubby said:

The best team will be promoted.  If they're the best team, they'll show that when it matters most.

2 hours ago, leytherz said:

so if toulouse finish 2nd and leigh finish 3rd.leighs final matches to try to get to the final will be toronto(a)league toulouse(a)play off.toronto(a) play off and then the final in toronto again.has anybody actually died of jet lag

Jet lag flying between England and France, seriously????  That's like suggesting that one could get jet lag flying from Ontario to Florida!

5 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

The best team will be promoted.  If they're the best team, they'll show that when it matters most.

But if Toronto have a couple of injuries, or even just an off day, then the consistantly best team in the Championship may well not be promoted.  As a fan of Featherstone, I'd obviously like them to finish strongly an be promoted, but if they did, then the consistantly best team would not be the one going up.

I think defining best as 'the best on the day' is a little disingenuous.

16 minutes ago, Big Picture said:

Yes it's quite true.  To win the title they have win the Elimination Final, Minor Semi-Final, Preliminary Final and then Grand Final, four sudden-death matches which therefore will all be against a different opponent because winning will eliminate the other team from contention.

Sorry. My bad. You are correct.

rldfsignature.jpg

The "best" team is the one that does BOTH of:

1: long term consistency - i.e. making the playoffs

And

2. Winning when it's do or die - I.e. winning all their playoff games.

The team that fails at one or the other is not as good as the team that does Both.

8 hours ago, Big Picture said:

If they have no injuries illness or suspensions for a one off game

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

5 hours ago, TheReaper said:

The "best" team is the one that does BOTH of:

1: long term consistency - i.e. making the playoffs

And

2. Winning when it's do or die - I.e. winning all their playoff games.

The team that fails at one or the other is not as good as the team that does Both.

The team that finishes 5th will probably lose about 10 games out of 27. Not very consistent in my book 

11 hours ago, Tubby said:

I understand there is a slight imbalance and that could have a bearing on final positions and I've always believed that the Bash games, if they must be a league game, should simply be a relocated home/away fixture for clubs with the club losing home advantage compensated in some way.  Even better, make the Bash the first round of a cup competition or similar.

Obviously, I realise that I'm a luddite and possible too stupid to be allowed to follow RL, but I think a simple balanced fixture list with the top team promoted and the bottom team relegated would work quite well.

So if there is a slight imbalance due to the unnecessary bash and you need a play off to decide who’s best then surely there should be a play off to get into the play offs and a play off affecting relegation. 

They've got this wrong. The team winning the 1 v 2/3 in the second week of the playoffs should get home advantage if a neutral venue is not being used. If 1 loses that game, they lose their home advantage for the final. 

That would give the final host almost two weeks to prepare the venue, start selling tickets etc. Whoever wrote the operational rules did not understand how a top 5 playoff system is supposed to work. 

Archived