Where is the Championship final being played?

8 hours ago, Cake Tiger said:

They've got this wrong. The team winning the 1 v 2/3 in the second week of the playoffs should get home advantage if a neutral venue is not being used. If 1 loses that game, they lose their home advantage for the final. 

That would give the final host almost two weeks to prepare the venue, start selling tickets etc. Whoever wrote the operational rules did not understand how a top 5 playoff system is supposed to work. 

Agree. TWP should lose their advantage in the play offs if they lose their first game.

rldfsignature.jpg

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Agree. TWP should lose their advantage in the play offs if they lose their first game.

The league leaders are awarded the best advantage and rightly so, but it should not include playing the final at their ground, I am not singling out TWP I would have said the same had it been Leigh, Fev, Bradford etc finals should always unequivocally be at a neutral venue.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

The league leaders are awarded the best advantage and rightly so, but it should not include playing the final at their ground, I am not singling out TWP I would have said the same had it been Leigh, Fev, Bradford etc finals should always unequivocally be at a neutral venue.

I agree, and I sincerely hope that the RFL unequivocally state this will happen... next season

Too late for this year, the rules were decided before the season.

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

If the top team lose to a lower team then they have lost the advantage IMO. If we are to play at the home of one of the clubs then it's at the home of the winner in week two's 1 v 2/3 IMO.

rldfsignature.jpg

Pom,

You are talking too much common sense for the R.F.L. to understand you.Of course if the No. 1 team lose their game against 2/3 then they have had their advantage and lost it. So if 2/3 win that game they still have to travel to Canada again to try and beat them again if Toronto eventually qualify for the Final.Rewarding clubs for losing is just plain stupid.

On 11/07/2019 at 03:27, Harry Stottle said:

Stupid you say, That is the craziest comment you have ever made K'man, go on then, give a reasonable explanation and list for me those 'many obvious reasons' you claim there are, I am quite looking forward to see your thoughts and offering a counter punch! 

Hey Harry how ya doin?  Have been out of contact for a few days so just got your message now.  Bin eatin on the wild strawberries and Saskatoon berries...gonna do alot of fishin next week.

Its is stupid Harry because the decision has already been made and announced (quite a long time ago in fact). If they want to change it let them discuss off season and possibly do so next year.  The decision has been made; the dye had been cast.  

You just can't keep changin everything around on a whim...we are tryin to run a proper operation here; that is why it is stupid.

Hang in there Harry and don't lose faith...lookin forward to watchin Leigh many, many  times in Toronto during the latter half of the season...you gonna be comin over?

6 hours ago, fairfolly said:

Pom,

You are talking too much common sense for the R.F.L. to understand you.Of course if the No. 1 team lose their game against 2/3 then they have had their advantage and lost it. So if 2/3 win that game they still have to travel to Canada again to try and beat them again if Toronto eventually qualify for the Final.Rewarding clubs for losing is just plain stupid.

The whole point of the play offs is to give losers a chance of promotion and not automatically giving it to the winner 

sometimes you have to take a step backwards to move forward

1 hour ago, Kayakman said:

Hey Harry how ya doin?  Have been out of contact for a few days so just got your message now.  Bin eatin on the wild strawberries and Saskatoon berries...gonna do alot of fishin next week.

Its is stupid Harry because the decision has already been made and announced (quite a long time ago in fact). If they want to change it let them discuss off season and possibly do so next year.  The decision has been made; the dye had been cast.  

You just can't keep changin everything around on a whim...we are tryin to run a proper operation here; that is why it is stupid.

Hang in there Harry and don't lose faith...lookin forward to watchin Leigh many, many  times in Toronto during the latter half of the season...you gonna be comin over?

Yep the decision has been made but you will never ever convince me it is the correct one, it has not been done before nor should it ever be done again to play the final in any other place than a neutral venue.

As for coming over for any of the Leigh games, the jury is still out on that one, it could be that I am going to New Zealand and Papua New Guinea for the Gt. Britain series in October/November, all depends on what her indoors wants to do.  

PS, that was not many obvious reasons!

2 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

What the Hell are Saskatoon berries????

1 hour ago, Lowdesert said:

Kind of hat, I think.  They’ll eat anything over there.

saskatoon berry.jpg

41 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Yep the decision has been made but you will never ever convince me it is the correct one, it has not been done before nor should it ever be done again to play the final in any other place than a neutral venue.

As for coming over for any of the Leigh games, the jury is still out on that one, it could be that I am going to New Zealand and Papua New Guinea for the Gt. Britain series in October/November, all depends on what her indoors wants to do.  

PS, that was not many obvious reasons!

You gotta quit cryin over spilt milk Old Man....looks like Leigh could be visiting its second home often....make sure you keep that wife happy.

There are many valid other reasons but the first point I made is all that is necessary at this point in time.

3 hours ago, Kayakman said:

This is true, but it wouldn't be the first time (by a long chalk) that the RFL changed it's mind at the last minute! Take last season, when an extra fixture was added to the play-offs, and Swinton and Workington were suddenly asked to play an extra game at very short notice.

P.S. They look like blackcurrants!?

10 minutes ago, AlanE said:

This is true, but it wouldn't be the first time (by a long chalk) that the RFL changed it's mind at the last minute! Take last season, when an extra fixture was added to the play-offs, and Swinton and Workington were suddenly asked to play an extra game at very short notice.

P.S. They look like blackcurrants!?

It is what it is,,,just have to go with it this year and change things next year (if that is what the majority wants).

They don't taste anything like black currents...they have their own flavour,,,not bitter or sweet of overly juicy....the birds, especially the cedar waxwings, love them all up!  Very good on ice cream with maple syrup.

On 12/07/2019 at 16:13, Kayakman said:

It is what it is,,,just have to go with it this year and change things next year (if that is what the majority wants).

They don't taste anything like black currents...they have their own flavour,,,not bitter or sweet of overly juicy....the birds, especially the cedar waxwings, love them all up!  Very good on ice cream with maple syrup.

What the Hell is maple syrup?

5 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Canada Day, whenever that is! 

Be a long wait - next Canada Day js 49 weeks from tomorrow.

30 minutes ago, Treize Hombres said:

Does anyone know when the Championship Grand Final will be played. I've Iooked at the usual RL sites but can only find how the play off system works but no dates.

Nothing official has been announced, but my guess is the weekend of October 5/6 if there are no weeks off in the 4 week playoff schedule.

30 minutes ago, John WP Fan said:

Nothing official has been announced, but my guess is the weekend of October 5/6 if there are no weeks off in the 4 week playoff schedule.

Thanks for that. Looking at going to Toronto to celebrate my half century and if those dates are correct and if the Wolfpack make it ...I'll be there 

3 hours ago, Treize Hombres said:

Thanks for that. Looking at going to Toronto to celebrate my half century and if those dates are correct and if the Wolfpack make it ...I'll be there 

Hopefully we will host and win the Grand Final, but after last year we are not taking anything for granted, Featherstone gave us a run for our money yesterday, and we know Toulouse can be very dangerous. We are beatable on any day, but we should be able to win.

4 hours ago, John WP Fan said:

Hopefully we will host and win the Grand Final, but after last year we are not taking anything for granted, Featherstone gave us a run for our money yesterday, and we know Toulouse can be very dangerous. We are beatable on any day, but we should be able to win.

Absolutely correct. You should never take anything for granted. I think that this year you will be fine and the play off system will work in your favour.

• 2 weeks later...

Posted on the Wolfpack's Facebook page. They claim that, if they advance to the 4th round, they will host the final whether or not they win their 2nd round game. Are they correct or is this just another result of the RFL being opaque about the whole thing?

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 1.43.44 PM.png

3 minutes ago, Lamport Life said:

Posted on the Wolfpack's Facebook page. They claim that, if they advance to the 4th round, they will host the final whether or not they win their 2nd round game. Are they correct or is this just another result of the RFL being opaque about the whole thing?

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 1.43.44 PM.png

They are correct. The highest placed team in all the Championship and L1 play off games, including the final, gets home advantage. That's been the 'rule' since before a game was played this season.

4 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

They are correct. The highest placed team in all the Championship and L1 play off games, including the final, gets home advantage. That's been the 'rule' since before a game was played this season.

Except that, according to this excerpt from the April 15th League Express, it wasn't.

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 1.55.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 1.57.25 PM.png

Archived