Where is the Championship final being played?

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lamport Life said:

Except that, according to this excerpt from the April 15th League Express, it wasn't.

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 1.55.54 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 1.57.25 PM.png

Except that article is wrong (basically because they didnt understand what 'highest ranked' meant) as confirmed by the RFL on 10th July   https://www.totalrl.com/championship-grand-final-to-be-held-at-highest-placed-side-as-rfl-clarify-position/

Really poor system is that. They should lose home advantage if they lose the first qualifying semi.

What odds on the team going there first sending a weakened team and gambling on being able to beat the team they just beat again (or a lower ranked team) and being fresher for the final? 

I don't mind 5 team play-offs but the potential for repeat fixtures is a downside with 1st v 2nd and 2nd v 3rd likely to happen twice.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

1 hour ago, Lamport Life said:

Posted on the Wolfpack's Facebook page. They claim that, if they advance to the 4th round, they will host the final whether or not they win their 2nd round game. Are they correct or is this just another result of the RFL being opaque about the whole thing?

Screen Shot 2019-07-23 at 1.43.44 PM.png

It stinks with a big capital S, finals should be at neutral venues no if's or but's there is nothing anyone could ever say that could condone playing it at the ground of one of the participating clubs.

41 minutes ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Really poor system is that. They should lose home advantage if they lose the first qualifying semi.

What odds on the team going there first sending a weakened team and gambling on being able to beat the team they just beat again (or a lower ranked team) and being fresher for the final? 

I don't mind 5 team play-offs but the potential for repeat fixtures is a downside with 1st v 2nd and 2nd v 3rd likely to happen twice.

31 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

It stinks with a big capital S, finals should be at neutral venues no if's or but's there is nothing anyone could ever say that could condone playing it at the ground of one of the participating clubs.

It's been going to be that way since before the season started but until the last couple of weeks I don't remember seeing anyone complaining about the system. I'd wager fans of some clubs wouldn't be moaning now if it were their team finishing top.........

6 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

It's been going to be that way since before the season started but until the last couple of weeks I don't remember seeing anyone complaining about the system. I'd wager fans of some clubs wouldn't be moaning now if it were their team finishing top.........

That may be the case and I’m all for keeping it as was agreed at the start, I’m just passing opinion on the system itself. It’s also pretty poor they have had to clarify it so late.

i’m sure most fans wouldn’t complain if they were top, doesn’t make it any better but it is what it is. 

Incidentally, if 3rd beats 2nd but then lost to Toronto and have to play 2nd again, do they then get home advantage in the 2nd game?

3736-mipm.gif

8 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Where do you consider a neutral venue if you have clubs from France and Canada? If you get either Toulouse or Toronto in the final then anywhere in England will be a disadvantage to them. Which isn't right if they've finished higher than the English team they play in the final.

So what's the solution?

10 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Wrong in that Les, I first heard about it a month or so ago and penned my feelings about it then, if my club was the one finishing top I would still say the same, at the time I could see no other reason and still can't that the RFL are/would be expecting TWP and Tolouse be the competing teams in the final so playing that game at a neutral venue over here would be an embarrassment in attendance figures, can you offer any better explanation why this completely stupid decision was taken, it meshes perfectly with Rimmers fear re the bonds he was wanting to be placed on certain clubs should they reach Wembley.

Alternatively it is a case of giving Toronto the best possible advantage in gaining promotion the someone's head should roll, under this system TWP are allowed to lose games and still play the final at home, please justify that for me!

2 hours ago, jim_57 said:

Where do you consider a neutral venue if you have clubs from France and Canada? If you get either Toulouse or Toronto in the final then anywhere in England will be a disadvantage to them. Which isn't right if they've finished higher than the English team they play in the final.

So what's the solution?

C'mon Jim be sensible, we employ the exact same format in SL, fast forward 12 months and either Toronto or Tolouse have been promoted and are dominant in 2020, is the neutral venue of Old Trafford going to changed to suit them because they will have finished higher than an English club?

Just as a matter of interest, if Saints lost their first game in the play offs, do they still recieve home advantage in the next game as TWP will enjoy.

The solution is to play the Championship final at a neutral venue as it has been done previously in this country, it is a Competition of the RFL not a Canadian or French comp, those clubs chose to apply to join our comp, when in Rome..............

10 minutes ago, Harry Stottle said:

Alternatively it is a case of giving Toronto the best possible advantage in gaining promotion the someone's head should roll, under this system TWP are allowed to lose games and still play the final at home, please justify that for me!

There's no conspiracy at work here favouring Twp, the system would still be the same if Leigh, York or Bradford finished top of the table.  

4 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

Incidentally, if 3rd beats 2nd but then lost to Toronto and have to play 2nd again, do they then get home advantage in the 2nd game?

No they don’t. There’s a case for saying your better off conceding a life in the play offs and finishing fourth 

12 hours ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

Except that article is wrong (basically because they didnt understand what 'highest ranked' meant) as confirmed by the RFL on 10th July   https://www.totalrl.com/championship-grand-final-to-be-held-at-highest-placed-side-as-rfl-clarify-position/

Yeah, the idiots based their definition of highest ranked team on what someone from the RFL told them. Crazy. 

21 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Does the conspiracy involve all 13 clubs who keep losing to The Wolfpack 

What a completely ill thought out statement that is Mi Lud, if their superiority is such why give them further advantages, if Leeds 'god bless em' finished second or third this season and played Saints at the Totally Wicked and Leeds were victorious would you welcome the fact that you would under the same circumstance as the Championship play off's are formatted this season maybe have to return there to play Saints in the final? 

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

C'mon Jim be sensible, we employ the exact same format in SL, fast forward 12 months and either Toronto or Tolouse have been promoted and are dominant in 2020, is the neutral venue of Old Trafford going to changed to suit them because they will have finished higher than an English club?

Just as a matter of interest, if Saints lost their first game in the play offs, do they still recieve home advantage in the next game as TWP will enjoy.

The solution is to play the Championship final at a neutral venue as it has been done previously in this country, it is a Competition of the RFL not a Canadian or French comp, those clubs chose to apply to join our comp, when in Rome..............

It isn't Super League is it? Plenty of competitions in the world give the highest ranked team home advantage in a final. I'd suggest the difference is Super League grand final has demand that far outstrips any club's home capacity.

Re: Saints, I don't believe they should no. Nor do I believe Toronto or Toulouse should if they lose a playoffs game. If they win and are the highest rank I don't see an issue with giving them a home final as a reward for dominating all other teams in the regular season.

Until the Championship final can regularly demand 20k+ I don't think it's justified moving  it to a neutral venue larger than any club home ground.

2 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Please give me reason for it then Omott, I have stated why I think it has been taken whats yours?

I don't have to justify why Twp conspiracies don't exist. The question is why your default viewpoint/attitude regarding Twp is there  must be a conspiracy or something untoward?   

If Fev and Leigh finish 2&3 then that game would be a farce with both clubs not wanting to win, with the loser having the best chance to have a decent shot at the final by avoiding an extra TW trip, in Leigh's case they face TW last game of season so that could be 3x in a month

1 hour ago, sweaty craiq said:

If Fev and Leigh finish 2&3 then that game would be a farce with both clubs not wanting to win, with the loser having the best chance to have a decent shot at the final by avoiding an extra TW trip, in Leigh's case they face TW last game of season so that could be 3x in a month

Not to worry, both clubs will finish behind Toulouse 

2 hours ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

Not to worry, both clubs will finish behind Toulouse 

I wouldn't bet on that. Toulouse (and York) have a tough run-in, Leigh and Fev relatively simple.

Sweaty is right as well, I don't think there is an advantage in winning the 2nd v 3rd game. I think I would rather lose, take my chances against winner of 4th v 5th and back our chances in the inevitable return fixture.

3736-mipm.gif

2 hours ago, Tex Evans Thigh said:

I wouldn't bet on that. Toulouse (and York) have a tough run-in, Leigh and Fev relatively simple.

Sweaty is right as well, I don't think there is an advantage in winning the 2nd v 3rd game. I think I would rather lose, take my chances against winner of 4th v 5th and back our chances in the inevitable return fixture.

And fans seeing that what you describe as an advantage other than a disadvantage shows just how the rule makers of this competition are not worthy of their office, before any commitee passes judgement and decrees a set of rules they should contemplate all scenarios, but this is the RFL, I honestly don't think that if all the employees worked together they could pass the 11+

2 hours ago, ojx said:

Will the play-offs be played on the four consecutive weeks after the last round of games on Sept 7-8? I can't find details of this anywhere.

They useually are played on consecutive weekends, but considering this format and some clubs with part time players who's main employment could be effected and they may be required to make the crossing to Canada on consecutive weekends, sense may prevail and an extension in time to the final could be welcoming.

4 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

They useually are played on consecutive weekends, but considering this format and some clubs with part time players who's main employment could be effected and they may be required to make the crossing to Canada on consecutive weekends, sense may prevail and an extension in time to the final could be welcoming.

What consecutive weekends?  If Toronto wins the Major Semi-Final, the loser of that will play at home in England (or France if it's Toulouse) the week after in the Preliminary Final.  If Toronto loses that match then the winner goes straight into the Grand Final two weeks later and Toronto then hosts the Preliminary Final against against a different team altogether.

Archived