Toronto (A)

Wakefield Ram

On 18/06/2019 at 22:25, RobertAM said:

well you either love it or hate it I suppose but for me the more people exposed to the game the better and people here are really starting to pay attention to it and love seeing the storied UK clubs play here...sure I can appreciate that not many away fans of TWP are showing up at your home grounds but clubs counting on away fans thru the turnstiles may already be in trouble..some of the attendance numbers are shocking to us given that we are getting anywhere between 6500-9500 at our games and if we reach SL we may have to add capacity or go to a bigger stadium.  Why aren't fans turning out in larger numbers? Would merging clubs do the trick both in numbers and financially or is there too much rivalry/history for this to happen? I don't know the answer..

Your attendances are built on twp success . And twp success has only happened because of the cash they have had to purchase top class players.  To me they haven't done nothing at all special. Any club could have done it with the cash flow twp have. Now you look at york city knights what they have achieved with their resources,  that's what I would call impressive.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Dog forever said:

Your attendances are built on twp success . And twp success has only happened because of the cash they have had to purchase top class players.  To me they haven't done nothing at all special. Any club could have done it with the cash flow twp have. Now you look at york city knights what they have achieved with their resources,  that's what I would call impressive.

Well I would expect any well financed operation to acquire the best players available, that is just common sense but success is never guaranteed, I'd say there's a number of teams in SL with money and quality players and presently underachieving,  Only time will tell if we can maintain our success in SL. And as far as the Knights are concerned on that we are in agreement. 

On 20/06/2019 at 19:28, Dog forever said:

I cant see much of a future bsj.  Batley and dewsbury will still probably be trading on a shoestring, whilst you seem to relish the prospect of overseas integration.  Any decent players that lower placed club bring through their ranks will get whisked off to these teams with money to burn. I genuinely do feel that it is of no benefit whatsoever to have these international rl teams in the leagues that we have in our country. Wouldn't you rather watch a match against say fev that would bring more cash flow to your club, or watch them play Toronto with probably 12 fans all trying to howl like wolves. I know which I would pick bsj. Look forward to reading your reaction.

Well, you seem to enjoy putting words into my mouth that I haven't uttered DF, so let's get that out of the way, shall we? I neither relish nor fear expansion, just have an interest in where progress or stagnation might take us. You present me with binary options, when I had suggested that a more nuanced approach might be possible. I am sure this didn't go over your head.

As I questioned previously take the scenario where Toronto, Toulouse etc had never arrived on the scene. Where would we now be that is better and which successful high ground would we be heading towards?

Life is full of risks which, by their very nature, often fail. Show me a man who never fails and I will show you one who never tries to do anything new. 

Clubs such as ours cannot rely upon the RFL to do their promotion and marketing for them; cannot rely upon the vagaries of visiting supporters to generate short-term success; and cannot complain about the existence of other clubs trying something new.

We are potentially in a very deep hole - keeping digging is not the answer.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

On 20/06/2019 at 19:40, Dog forever said:

Massive kudos to what York have achieved.

A simple question: why couldn't Dewsbury or Batley have done the same?

(A simple answer: you either see doors or fences.)

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

7 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

Massive kudos to what York have achieved.

A simple question: why couldn't Dewsbury or Batley have done the same?

(A simple answer: you either see doors or fences.)

Good point BSJ and I have mentioned this in posts of times long gone.  The guy that York have does seem able to work small miracles.  I do however think that the Knights have one simple advantage - they have a local public that will turn out to watch the team when things pick up.   Their gates seem to vary form mediocre when things aren't going well to superb when they are.  Some of this will be down to marketing and promotion but I am pretty sure that even if we were fighting at the top of the table the Dewsbury public wouldn't get behind us in the way the York population do..  I seem to remember that there 1000s there when they played the last game of the 2018 season.  Im pretty sure the if we had been in the same position we would have been lucky to get 1500.    Sometime, for some reason, the massive majority of the Dewsbury decided that they don't really care about their professional rugby team and I don't think that anyone (even the York guy) could do much about it...

That said I know that the style of rugby we have played over the last few years and the fact that we appear to do nothing but fight for survival has driven speccies away and even the  little group that stood near my spot in the South Stand week after week has dwindled and dwindled.  As I walked out last Sunday two Rams fans were saying that Leigh was their last game..They were going to save their brass and watch Shaw Cross moving forward ...

Those two fans might find they’ve jumped out of the frying pan and into the fire Nick,  if they are to support Shaw Cross, as that team is faring no better than us (witness their result from Saturday); in fact which of our amateur teams can string a number of victories together?

Legs, Dews, Legs.

Archived