A permanent home for the club in Oldham

Hollinwood

11 hours ago, clifford said:

The  problem for anyone wanting to buy the club, is that you get to the point of seeing the accounts, current balance sheets day to day costs and sign confidentiality agreements and then nothing, the club hides under a rock. 

For me the only way that the club will sell is if the owner of say the Boston red socks and Liverpool fc, I think, comes in and buys the franchise and moves Oldham to Boston, Boston roughyeds and or Boston bears. 

Mr H gets his pound of silver, no more Oldham and the rugby league world gets rid of Whitebank

Think the stags, think Oldham and the rest of the struggling teams

Exactly this. The only way Mr H will recoup any money is to sell us out a la Hemel.

"New franchise" approach CH for the license, offer him X amount of quid, CH accepts and gets a bit of coin back which he has "lent" the club over the last 20 odd years,makes a statement to say how he tried and it simply wasn't viable to continue. Declares the Oldham RLFC (1997) company bankrupt.

RIP Oldham RLFC and the Vestacare, hello Outer Mongolia Yaks with 2 billion pounds worth of private funding and a state of the art dust bowl holding 100,000 folk with a massive beer garden. It's gonna happen I have seen the future ??

Forget about a home in Oldham, unless something drastic happens there will be no Oldham RLFC in 2 years or so after the Sky deal runs out and is renegotiated, not really much need for a new home on crowds of 500 ish either. 

The whole scenario is looking grim for a lot of clubs imho.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, roughyed34 said:

Exactly this. The only way Mr H will recoup any money is to sell us out a la Hemel.

"New franchise" approach CH for the license, offer him X amount of quid, CH accepts and gets a bit of coin back which he has "lent" the club over the last 20 odd years,makes a statement to say how he tried and it simply wasn't viable to continue. Declares the Oldham RLFC (1997) company bankrupt.

RIP Oldham RLFC and the Vestacare, hello Outer Mongolia Yaks with 2 billion pounds worth of private funding and a state of the art dust bowl holding 100,000 folk with a massive beer garden. It's gonna happen I have seen the future ??

Forget about a home in Oldham, unless something drastic happens there will be no Oldham RLFC in 2 years or so after the Sky deal runs out and is renegotiated, not really much need for a new home on crowds of 500 ish either. 

The whole scenario is looking grim for a lot of clubs imho.

Spot on mate unfortunately.

Long time since I've posted, but after reading this had a thought.

Currently a fan led group is looking to purchase boundary park and is working with Trust Oldham (the OAFC fans trust) to buy BP from the previous owners. They have already taken over the running of the stadium new north stand in the interim.

They have put out a call to raise investment for the purchase of the stadium and land, therefore is there not an opportunity for a group like Rugby Oldham to put into the pot on the basis it secures Oldham RLFC a home at the town's main sports stadium?

Appreciate I can't talk on behalf of rugby Oldham as I'm not affiliated and this may not go along with the aims of the organisation. 

Just a thought though as it seems a potential owning a share. It's just a shame we don't have an owner with the money to make the most of the current opportunity. 

2 hours ago, mackin89 said:

Currently a fan led group is looking to purchase boundary park and is working with Trust Oldham (the OAFC fans trust) to buy BP from the previous owners. They have already taken over the running of the stadium new north stand in the interim.

They have put out a call to raise investment for the purchase of the stadium and land, therefore is there not an opportunity for a group like Rugby Oldham to put into the pot on the basis it secures Oldham RLFC a home at the town's main sports stadium?

Appreciate I can't talk on behalf of rugby Oldham as I'm not affiliated and this may not go along with the aims of the organisation. 

Just a thought though as it seems a potential owning a share. It's just a shame we don't have an owner with the money to make the most of the current opportunity. 

I put forward,years ago, the idea of having a fans led ground fund. A bit like a 'save the steeple ' fund used by churches. Fans, businesses put money into a locked fund that can only be used for the purchase of a ground, nothing else. Was poo pooed because some thought it was just aiding and abetting CH. Having a fund raiser to buy into BP, to my mind, is a good idea.  Now whether Latics fans would be happy with us part owning the ground is a different matter. 

Problem is AL doesn't own the ground or the stands,pitch,car parks or pretty much anything.Its in the weaknesses section in this vision for the future statement. In fact it's quite an eye-opener this statement even if you ain't a Latics fan.

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2019/may/21052019-owner-update/

So reading that he wouldn't have a say in wether ORLFC could potentially play at BP. Sharing BP would be up to the previous owner I assume, and I don't think Mr H has great relations with Simon Corney.

Worrying that possibly sometime soon there could be no professional sports ground in Oldham.

On 21/06/2019 at 10:15, mackin89 said:

Last I heard "the brass bank" want well over £20m for BP and land

OLDHAM RLFC

the 8TH most successful team in british RL

• 3 weeks later...

When the SKY deal ends central funding ends I feel that is a given.  That central funding pays administrator/ even owner wages.  When one club goes in two years so will others.

The deal maybe that resource and time is afforded from SLE to Saddleworth and Mayfield etc.  I know this may sound awful but Oldham have not been relevant under CH for years.

On 17/06/2019 at 21:07, clifford said:

The  problem for anyone wanting to buy the club, is that you get to the point of seeing the accounts, current balance sheets day to day costs and sign confidentiality agreements and then nothing, the club hides under a rock. 

For me the only way that the club will sell is if the owner of say the Boston red socks and Liverpool fc, I think, comes in and buys the franchise and moves Oldham to Boston, Boston roughyeds and or Boston bears. 

Mr H gets his pound of silver, no more Oldham and the rugby league world gets rid of Whitebank

Think the stags, think Oldham and the rest of the struggling teams

The last time I was at Fenway Park, I asked John W. Henry if he fancied investing in a Rugby League team.  He came back shaking his head. 

Still a Roughyed despite what some people might say!!!

On 21/06/2019 at 10:15, mackin89 said:

Going well I see....

https://www.oldhamathletic.co.uk/news/2019/july/17072019-club-statement/

OLDHAM RLFC

11 hours ago, roughyedspud said:

The "owner" doesn't own what they are after...so who are they challenging??

Plenty of challenge in them. Look at the current spat. One group definitely has the clubs interest at heart.

And they have what the owner needs, and the owner has what they need.

Last man standing. The worry is what happens in the meantime, and whether the owner has plans to up sticks and become nomadic, and we all kn ow how painful that is.

Which owner??? Lol

"They" have sod all...they own sod all...all they've done,from what I can see,is made a already complicated situation even more complicated..if that was possible...BP owned by one group the main stand ran by another group,which won't be open by the looks of it,and the team owned by someone else...it's ridiculous and they'll go pop if it carries on..I'll put good money on the council stepping in,once again,and owning BP to save it being demolished for housing

OLDHAM RLFC

• 2 months later...

I am not overly familiar with Oldham or the district but I suspect that there is more land available than in my home town Swinton.

But like us as we both are I don’t think that it is financially feasible to build a new stadium in Oldham just for Oldham RLFC.Very sad to say.

20 hours ago, Robthegasman said:

I am not overly familiar with Oldham or the district but I suspect that there is more land available than in my home town Swinton.

But like us as we both are I don’t think that it is financially feasible to build a new stadium in Oldham just for Oldham RLFC.Very sad to say.

Spot on mate, there isn't the fanbase to warrant building a stadium. The same is probably true for most lower league clubs. Rochdale and Swinton included. The game is in decline, crowd's are getting fewer and older there doesn't seem to be a solution to it regrettably. It may seem negative but you only have to look around at games to see what's happening. Does my head in as its a great game, miles better than soccer. 

2 minutes ago, moorside roughyed said:

Spot on mate, there isn't the fanbase to warrant building a stadium. The same is probably true for most lower league clubs. Rochdale and Swinton included. The game is in decline, crowd's are getting fewer and older there doesn't seem to be a solution to it regrettably. It may seem negative but you only have to look around at games to see what's happening. Does my head in as its a great game, miles better than soccer. 

We have to be realistic and honest with ourselves.The game is in decline and I suggest even at Super League level let alone below Super League.

And I fear the next two years.

1 hour ago, Robthegasman said:

We have to be realistic and honest with ourselves.The game is in decline and I suggest even at Super League level let alone below Super League.

And I fear the next two years.

So do I. If these suggestions about central funding do go ahead then its time to do something else on a Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately. It'll be Saddleworth rangers for me. 

22 minutes ago, J Dyson said:

I totally agree. The dynamics and population of Oldham town has changed so much over the last 30 years with no interest in the rugby game by this new population.  It can only decline further as that population rises and this is not just rugby but football too.

Spot on mate. I feel that the town is becoming more disinterested in sport as time goes by. Yes, if you look at the football club, they're suffering too. I know a few season ticket holders at latics and they feel its on its way out. 

1 hour ago, Little no it all said:

So promotion means Oldham rugby moving out of Oldham again 

why can they not sort a deal at boundary park 

As an outsider it is my understanding from speaking to both Latics and Roughyed fans that OAFC do not want Oldham RLFC At Boundary Park under any circumstances.

I also believe both clubs do not particularly like one another.

Archived