A permanent home for the club in Oldham

Hollinwood

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Herbie makes the point about kids and parents out on Sunday morning playing and watching at the amateur clubs. The trouble with that for the semi pro club is that after 2 to 3 hours there do they really want to spend the same time watching rugby in the afternoon? 

My point is that there us still interest in Rugby League in Oldham. I think this was proven to an extent last Sunday.

The club really does need to build on all the positivity from last week. Playing in Oldham and making a serious attempt to win the support of all the young people that play in the town would help do so.

13 minutes ago, herbie said:

The exclamation marks and your"liking" of the other post add to my suspicion that you may well be a UKIP type. Thats my last comment on this matter.

?

It's nice that Herbie has decided to do one after his Clouseau like deduction.

I'm weary of lefties clutching their pearls at the most innocuous comments.

The population of the town with the 'wrong rugby culture' is about 30% ish.  I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that our attendances have gone down significantly more than 30%.  

We currently have a home ground in part of town that should be demographically 'in our favour', yet the attendances haven't shot up?  

Could it be that decades of under achievement, ground hopping, poor engagement, not playing in hoops, flirts with bankruptcy, etc, etc, might have slightly more impact on attendances?  

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

There are probably a few different reasons why the game has floundered in Oldham. At the end of the day there's no money or a fanbase big enough for a ground of our own so we'd better get used to it. The game went when Sheddings went. Let's enjoy what's left of the club while we still have it. 

5 minutes ago, herbie said:

York are a prime example.

2019 Average 2125

2018 Average 1692

2017 Average 1088

2016 Average 592

2015 Average 428

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

Govt stats for non-local people Oldham.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/releases/ukmigrationindicatorsbylocalarea2017

IMHO league position, stadium location and performance on the pitch have been the most significant thant he others mentioned. The numbers have remained static.I think the discontinuation of a love of rugby through the generations does not depend on skin colour.

image.png.91619b00f3b57eb71c7598c7731ed9f9.png

One of the greatest problems facing ORLFC is the total demise of schools playing rugby. When I was teaching every secondary school had a team, there was a town team that all the lads wanted to play for, there was a county side and to top it all a national schoolboys side.

What do we have now - nothing w33

Back to the original post the argument about playing on the "rugby" side of the town is a sound one. I have advocated for a long time about the building of a community stadium on the old Higginshaw gasworks site - it's massive.

Sadly neither will happen. The supporters will get older and not replaced by younger blood and rugby in schools, I feel, will not be resurrected.

Not just restricted to rl the whole syllabus restricts a lot of team sports. Which is where local clubs are so vital. Truth is simply there are other things people do on Sundays than watch sport, look at lower league attendance figures in football. 

You can lead a horse to water... 

I work with a guy who was born and bred in Oldham, his parents are Bangladeshi and he is a Muslim. He loves RL, he watches Superleague on the telly. He makes a B line for me on Monday mornings, especially if he knows I have been to watch Oldham the day before. He knows the names of the players and staff and has his favourites (although he never gets to see them play). He always asks me about the match, and who played well and who didn't, he already knows the score. I have asked him in the past why he doesn't pop along to the odd match, his reply "I don't think I would fit in".....

How sad is that!! 

26 minutes ago, Fluffybed said:

I work with a guy who was born and bred in Oldham, his parents are Bangladeshi and he is a Muslim. He loves RL, he watches Superleague on the telly. He makes a B line for me on Monday mornings, especially if he knows I have been to watch Oldham the day before. He knows the names of the players and staff and has his favourites (although he never gets to see them play). He always asks me about the match, and who played well and who didn't, he already knows the score. I have asked him in the past why he doesn't pop along to the odd match, his reply "I don't think I would fit in".....

How sad is that!! 

Tell your he's more than welcome to watch Oldham whenever he wants. Everyone fits in with rugby league. Hussein mbarki, a Moroccan played for Oldham in the eighties. Tell him to get down to Oldham, he'll love it. Rugby league is for everyone. 

It doesn’t seem to be a problem at Bradford. Have you seen how diverse the crowds are there? 
I am not British and first time I was at a rugby match was 7 years ago And I didn’t even know the rules. Since then I have been to every single Oldham home game while “traditionalist” stayed at home.

Lets not use silly excuses please...

15 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Tell your he's more than welcome to watch Oldham whenever he wants. Everyone fits in with rugby league. Hussein mbarki, a Moroccan played for Oldham in the eighties. Tell him to get down to Oldham, he'll love it. Rugby league is for everyone. 

I'm absolutely sure he'd get a fantastic welcome at oldham.

On 14/10/2019 at 08:02, Bedford Roughyed said:

2019 Average 2125

2018 Average 1692

2017 Average 1088

2016 Average 592

2015 Average 428

I recall York being on their ass in 2015 and 2016.

And the reasons why York recovered are because they have a very forward thinking chairman and they are using being in a city to their advantage.

what blind side says about schools not playing sport is correct. I watch children walk past my house going to school mainly 5 to 7 year olds a lot of them are obese and sadly so are their mothers.

sadly most of  these children are from a 1 parent family without a father figure to take them to watch sports. that is the environment they are brought up in how many on this forum come from a 1 parent family.

so the fact is children are not taught sport at school and a lot not taught sport at home

sadly it is the age of the couch potato go on any precinct and the  results. 

3 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

The handing down from one generation to the other is a very interesting aspect. In Huddersfield, where I live, the supposed birthplace of RL the SL team struggles to get adequate support for the fare on offer whereas the soccer team draws good crowds. It has been said, with some justification I believe, that a prime reason for this is due to a "lost generation": Huddersfield went through a lengthy period of being truly awful with gates hovering around the 600 mark, clearly losing a host of supporters who never really returned. These would have been the fathers/mothers who would have taken their own children along to become the next generation of supporters. The fact that this generation failed to get the bug might just be something to do with struggling to get the numbers back up again.

I suspect that a similar situation can be seen to have occurred at Oldham and other clubs, with the same consequences.

(Most schools also don't run soccer teams nowadays by the way.)

You sure it wasn't leaving Fartown that did the damage, Johnny?

I could go on at length about losing Watersheddings (won't - still hurts).

Suffice to say that the number of fans that used to walk five or ten minutes from home was phenomenal. 

I wasn't a "local" as such, living where I do. I worked with a bunch of guys who went regularly and bent my ear about how good it was. I went to my first match with them against Hull KR and was hooked (a low scoring war of attrition). The following Monday, I was offered  a ticket for the Tuesday night against Wigan in the Lancs Cup. We won. I was proper hooked after that one!

15 hours ago, tandle said:

what blind side says about schools not playing sport is correct. I watch children walk past my house going to school mainly 5 to 7 year olds a lot of them are obese and sadly so are their mothers.

sadly most of  these children are from a 1 parent family without a father figure to take them to watch sports. that is the environment they are brought up in how many on this forum come from a 1 parent family.

so the fact is children are not taught sport at school and a lot not taught sport at home

sadly it is the age of the couch potato go on any precinct and the  results. 

wow... huge generalisation here. 

My lads are 8 and 5 both play rugby for Limeside Lions and the elder ones play cricket. Where I do agree with you is that at their school they only have access to football really so don't have access to team sports. Fortunately for them I've always been a fan of sport and keeping fit so I take them to sports clubs. 

Funnily enough a few not all of the parents at the rugby club are single parents so that kind of disproves your theory!  

On 15/10/2019 at 20:42, BryanC said:

I wasn't a "local" as such, living where I do. I worked with a bunch of guys who went regularly and bent my ear about how good it was. I went to my first match with them against Hull KR and was hooked (a low scoring war of attrition). The following Monday, I was offered  a ticket for the Tuesday night against Wigan in the Lancs Cup. We won. I was proper hooked after that one!

Glory seeker ?

On 15/10/2019 at 20:42, BryanC said:

You sure it wasn't leaving Fartown that did the damage, Johnny?

I could go on at length about losing Watersheddings (won't - still hurts).

Suffice to say that the number of fans that used to walk five or ten minutes from home was phenomenal. 

The days of the 500/600 crowds were at Fartown Bryan. The ground by that time reflected the team - aged and decaying.

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

Archived