Hollinwood

A permanent home for the club in Oldham

My point is that there us still interest in Rugby League in Oldham. I think this was proven to an extent last Sunday.

The club really does need to build on all the positivity from last week. Playing in Oldham and making a serious attempt to win the support of all the young people that play in the town would help do so.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stevos Barber said:

Herbie makes the point about kids and parents out on Sunday morning playing and watching at the amateur clubs. The trouble with that for the semi pro club is that after 2 to 3 hours there do they really want to spend the same time watching rugby in the afternoon? 

... and herbie has now also twice failed to answer my question to him as to why he considered me saying that there are more non-local people now living in the town was racist.

It appears he just wants to say things but without having full knowledge of the situations he has commented on, nor to give reasons for his points of view.

• Like 2

On 11/10/2019 at 20:30, RL does what Sky says said:

many current local inhabitants were not originally local (!!!)

16 hours ago, BryanC said:

Yup, the demographic is certainly changing.

Don't you just love how "vibrant" our society has become.

Not.

The exclamation marks and your"liking" of the other post add to my suspicion that you may well be a UKIP type. Thats my last comment on this matter.

👍

• Haha 1

Just now, herbie said:

The exclamation marks and your"liking" of the other post add to my suspicion that you may well be a UKIP type. Thats my last comment on this matter.

👍

For your information I couldn't care less about politics and never vote because I feel I don't know enough about it all to give an opinion.

Your last comment is it ?  What you mean is that you don't want to answer the question.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, herbie said:

👍

It's nice that Herbie has decided to do one after his Clouseau like deduction.

I'm weary of lefties clutching their pearls at the most innocuous comments.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

rl does what sky wants I totally agree with your comments. and a lot more on this forum would most likely agree with you its strange how a lot of people don't like the truth. 

as Arthur askey would say before your very eyes

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RL does what Sky says said:

No, it is YOU that has brought up the race issue .... as people always do just for their own purpose when anything they perceive is not in favour of certain groups of the community.

Is it not true that the population of foreign people in Oldham has increased over the years ? To point that out has nothing to do with race, it is a true fact and one which has affected the attendances at matches as many of those now in the area do not have families with a long-standing interest in RL.

Just tell us all what was racist about the comment that more non-local people are now living in the town ?

Totally agree with you RL does what Sky says... you only have to go into Oldham town centre to see the changes over the years with the population and this is NOT racist but pure facts. This population has come into the town with no background knowledge of the game, do not play it at school and do not join clubs where it is played. This is fact NOT racism. Its a travesty but true. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The population of the town with the 'wrong rugby culture' is about 30% ish.  I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that our attendances have gone down significantly more than 30%.  

We currently have a home ground in part of town that should be demographically 'in our favour', yet the attendances haven't shot up?  

Could it be that decades of under achievement, ground hopping, poor engagement, not playing in hoops, flirts with bankruptcy, etc, etc, might have slightly more impact on attendances?  

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

1 hour ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

The population of the town with the 'wrong rugby culture' is about 30% ish.  I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that our attendances have gone down significantly more than 30%.  

We currently have a home ground in part of town that should be demographically 'in our favour', yet the attendances haven't shot up?  

Could it be that decades of under achievement, ground hopping, poor engagement, not playing in hoops, flirts with bankruptcy, etc, etc, might have slightly more impact on attendances?  

Yes, all of those you mention have had an impact but do you not agree that the influx of non-local people into the town, especially those with no family-history or culture of following RL, is also a key factor ? The children of those people are then not bothered in having RL at their schools and thus the next generation will become less interested in it.

Of course another factor was leaving Watesheddings, and which I think was more in the rugby part of town rather than Whitebank is now due to the 'Sheddings side of town being nearer to where most of the main amateur RL teams play - St.Anne's, Higginshaw, Waterhead and Saddleworth.

• Like 1

There are probably a few different reasons why the game has floundered in Oldham. At the end of the day there's no money or a fanbase big enough for a ground of our own so we'd better get used to it. The game went when Sheddings went. Let's enjoy what's left of the club while we still have it. 

• Like 3

In my opinion the interest in Rugby League is STILL there. 

All we need are people with a vision and belief to tap back in.

York are a prime example.

Much easier said than done unfortunatley.

Edited by herbie
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, herbie said:

York are a prime example.

2019 Average 2125

2018 Average 1692

2017 Average 1088

2016 Average 592

2015 Average 428

• Like 1

With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

12 minutes ago, Bedford Roughyed said:

2019 Average 2125

2018 Average 1692

2017 Average 1088

2016 Average 592

2015 Average 428

Thats impressive but how many non-vikings in there?😀

Govt stats for non-local people Oldham.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/releases/ukmigrationindicatorsbylocalarea2017

IMHO league position, stadium location and performance on the pitch have been the most significant thant he others mentioned. The numbers have remained static.I think the discontinuation of a love of rugby through the generations does not depend on skin colour.

image.png.91619b00f3b57eb71c7598c7731ed9f9.png

Edited by SINGE
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, SINGE said:

Govt stats for non-local people Oldham.
https://www.ons.gov.uk/releases/ukmigrationindicatorsbylocalarea2017

IMHO league position, stadium location and performance on the pitch have been the most significant thant he others mentioned. The numbers have remained static.I think the discontinuation of a love of rugby through the generations does not depend on skin colour.

image.png.91619b00f3b57eb71c7598c7731ed9f9.png

Yes there are several reasons for the decline of the RL in Oldham but I was just pointing out one aspect with regard to the people who have come from elsewhere and not having a Rugby League background. That is certainly only one among the various reasons for the decline although I suspect that if you went back far more than the 10 years shown on the list then the percentage would be significantly less. This has nothing to do with skin colour - in fact I never mentioned that and was actually including those from Europe or even other parts of GB - but just a fact concerning the population of the town and their lack of an RL background

• Like 2

One of the greatest problems facing ORLFC is the total demise of schools playing rugby. When I was teaching every secondary school had a team, there was a town team that all the lads wanted to play for, there was a county side and to top it all a national schoolboys side.

What do we have now - nothing w33

Back to the original post the argument about playing on the "rugby" side of the town is a sound one. I have advocated for a long time about the building of a community stadium on the old Higginshaw gasworks site - it's massive.

Sadly neither will happen. The supporters will get older and not replaced by younger blood and rugby in schools, I feel, will not be resurrected.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Not just restricted to rl the whole syllabus restricts a lot of team sports. Which is where local clubs are so vital. Truth is simply there are other things people do on Sundays than watch sport, look at lower league attendance figures in football. 

You can lead a horse to water... 

• Like 2

I work with a guy who was born and bred in Oldham, his parents are Bangladeshi and he is a Muslim. He loves RL, he watches Superleague on the telly. He makes a B line for me on Monday mornings, especially if he knows I have been to watch Oldham the day before. He knows the names of the players and staff and has his favourites (although he never gets to see them play). He always asks me about the match, and who played well and who didn't, he already knows the score. I have asked him in the past why he doesn't pop along to the odd match, his reply "I don't think I would fit in".....

How sad is that!! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Fluffybed said:

I work with a guy who was born and bred in Oldham, his parents are Bangladeshi and he is a Muslim. He loves RL, he watches Superleague on the telly. He makes a B line for me on Monday mornings, especially if he knows I have been to watch Oldham the day before. He knows the names of the players and staff and has his favourites (although he never gets to see them play). He always asks me about the match, and who played well and who didn't, he already knows the score. I have asked him in the past why he doesn't pop along to the odd match, his reply "I don't think I would fit in".....

How sad is that!! 

Tell your he's more than welcome to watch Oldham whenever he wants. Everyone fits in with rugby league. Hussein mbarki, a Moroccan played for Oldham in the eighties. Tell him to get down to Oldham, he'll love it. Rugby league is for everyone. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 13/10/2019 at 20:23, J Dyson said:

Totally agree with you RL does what Sky says... you only have to go into Oldham town centre to see the changes over the years with the population and this is NOT racist but pure facts. This population has come into the town with no background knowledge of the game, do not play it at school and do not join clubs where it is played. This is fact NOT racism. Its a travesty but true. 

And nobody without a RL background has ever shown any interest in RL then? Better tell them that in Toronto.

There are many more ways of getting people interested in a sport than implying that its is only for "traditionalists". Just look at soccer and the ethnic mix of players and supporters, compared with the 70's if you need an example.

Edited by Blind side johnny
  • Like 3

Sport, amongst other things, is a dream-world offering escape from harsh reality and the disturbing prospect of change.

It doesn’t seem to be a problem at Bradford. Have you seen how diverse the crowds are there? 
I am not British and first time I was at a rugby match was 7 years ago And I didn’t even know the rules. Since then I have been to every single Oldham home game while “traditionalist” stayed at home.

Lets not use silly excuses please...

• Like 4

15 hours ago, moorside roughyed said:

Tell your he's more than welcome to watch Oldham whenever he wants. Everyone fits in with rugby league. Hussein mbarki, a Moroccan played for Oldham in the eighties. Tell him to get down to Oldham, he'll love it. Rugby league is for everyone. 

I'm absolutely sure he'd get a fantastic welcome at oldham.

• Like 1

On 14/10/2019 at 08:02, Bedford Roughyed said:

2019 Average 2125

2018 Average 1692

2017 Average 1088

2016 Average 592

2015 Average 428

I recall York being on their ass in 2015 and 2016.

And the reasons why York recovered are because they have a very forward thinking chairman and they are using being in a city to their advantage.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Blind side johnny said:

And nobody without a RL background has ever shown any interest in RL then? Better tell them that in Toronto.

There are many more ways of getting people interested in a sport tha implying that its is only for "traditionalists". Just look at soccer and the ethnic mix of players and supporters, compared with the 70's if you need an example.

Just to point out that my original comment on this matter was as follows ....

"......the interest in the game has gradually declined especially as many current local inhabitants were not originally local (!!!) and had come to the town probably not even having heard of Rugby League.

Therefore they haven't got an RL background in their family and so don't have an interest in it ... and as that group of the population rises then the less newcomers there will be attending matches."

I never implied the game was "only for traditionalists" (I want it to be for everyone) and I did not say that more "non-locals" in the town was THE ONLY REASON for declining attendances but was just pointing out one of them.  Yes many  of those may well become interested in the team but I think the age-long act of passing down an interest in RL from grandfather to father to son has certainly diminished especially as those youngsters are not given access to the game via their schools.

• Like 1