Brisbane 2 preferred to Perth by NRL

Can't attach the link but basically every newspaper in Oz is reporting on how Peter Beattie the big wig at the NRL has come out in favour of the 'Brisbane 2' consortium for the newest NRL team, ahead of specifically Perth but I imagine there will have been others such as New Zealand 2. Wants them in before the new TV deal in 2023.

Interesting is how I'd describe it. Clearly Beattie is a big fan of a 4th Queensland team being added. My question would be that with Union tanking both in Western Australia and across Oz more generally, as well as the AFL consistently being on the up along with Soccer, why would the opportunity that Perth offers be passed over? Especially when there are already two teams in the Titans and the Broncos within an hour of eachother and the centre of Brisbane. Rumour has it the proposed new team would be north of the city in Redcliffe however which I suppose you could argue serves a different market?

Personally I'd go for both as a 17 team league would drive my OCD for evenness over the edge, but at least the NRL is finally talking about expansion. This is also the guy who said the NRL had to expand or die when he came to his post!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Tommygilf said:

Can't attach the link but basically every newspaper in Oz is reporting on how Peter Beattie the big wig at the NRL has come out in favour of the 'Brisbane 2' consortium for the newest NRL team, ahead of specifically Perth but I imagine there will have been others such as New Zealand 2. Wants them in before the new TV deal in 2023.

Interesting is how I'd describe it. Clearly Beattie is a big fan of a 4th Queensland team being added. My question would be that with Union tanking both in Western Australia and across Oz more generally, as well as the AFL consistently being on the up along with Soccer, why would the opportunity that Perth offers be passed over? Especially when there are already two teams in the Titans and the Broncos within an hour of eachother and the centre of Brisbane. Rumour has it the proposed new team would be north of the city in Redcliffe however which I suppose you could argue serves a different market?

Personally I'd go for both as a 17 team league would drive my OCD for evenness over the edge, but at least the NRL is finally talking about expansion. This is also the guy who said the NRL had to expand or die when he came to his post!

Fishing where the are, but will it get the NRL a much bigger TV deal at the next round of negotiations?

Pretty much what you would expect, talk about spreading the game internationally, yet  they can't even spread the game off their own East Coast.

National Rugby League!  what a laugh?

45 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Fishing where the are, but will it get the NRL a much bigger TV deal at the next round of negotiations?

It can give a guaranteed Friday night game in Brisbane most weeks. That’d be worth something.

44 minutes ago, The Future is League said:

Perth is the additional money spinner from a tv point of view, due to the timezone. 

Brisbane 2 and Perth seem favourites for expansion and I’d imagine both would get the green light at the next expansion. 

Wellington seems to have gone from the radar 

4 minutes ago, Clogiron said:

Pretty much what you would expect, talk about spreading the game internationally, yet  they can't even spread the game off their own East Coast.

National Rugby League!  what a laugh?

Auckland says “hello”

While not the NRL, the Queensland Cup hosts the best supported club rugby team on earth, the PNG Hunters.

4 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Is it natural territory for RL in Perth?  

Not natural but plenty of grassroots work being done under the radar there and general interest. It could be another Melbourne in that regard. 

I don’t see it as being that big a risk and it’s a rapidly growing city - I would definitely recommend visiting there and nearby Mandurah and Fremantle - and the demise of union creates an even bigger opportunity there 

1 minute ago, DoubleD said:

Not natural but plenty of grassroots work being done under the radar there and general interest. It could be another Melbourne in that regard. 

I don’t see it as being that big a risk and it’s a rapidly growing city - I would definitely recommend visiting there and nearby Mandurah and Fremantle - and the demise of union creates an even bigger opportunity there 

What would tv think about the kick off times?  

Could that be counting against it.

Personally I take your point that it’s an opportunity.

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

Seems a no brainer then.

You’d think so but the NRL have been dealing with struggling existing clubs like Gold Coast and Newcastle, whilst Cronulla have also been in financial strife so they’re risk averse 

1 hour ago, The Future is League said:

I just don't see the demand personally. But then again some of our Aussie forum members have argued why some in Brisbane are massively against the Broncos and I'm not going to dispute that with them.

2 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

You’d think so but the NRL have been dealing with struggling existing clubs like Gold Coast and Newcastle, whilst Cronulla have also been in financial strife so they’re risk averse 

If Gold Coast are based in/near Brisbane, but are struggling then why is there a clamour to get another Brisbane team?

Just now, Gerrumonside ref said:

If Gold Coast are based in/near Brisbane, but are struggling then why is there a clamour to get another Brisbane team?

I could understand it if the rest of Oz was covered or would be in the same round of expansion, but it isn't.

2 minutes ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

Over 2 million in Brisbane and they wouldn’t support a side from Gold Coast. The distance from Gold Coast to Brisbane is like from Leeds to Manchester 

Archived