Martin Taupau pledges allegiance to Samoa

Huge development. If RTS were to follow would be similar to when JT/Fifita decided to play for Tonga.

A weakened NZRL is poor result for the game. They have enough problems as it is to now be the de facto player factory for the Pacific nations.

Think people have forgotten that we only lost 6-0 to the Aussies last time we played and they've bottled playing us ever since.

If the Samoans, Fijians and Tongans (and Papuans at that) can strengthen, then we can at least have some credible touring teams. Fed up of watching usv play the Kiwis. I'm all for it.

It also strengthens the need for a second NZ team.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

2 minutes ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

Think people have forgotten that we only lost 6-0 to the Aussies last time we played and they've bottled playing us ever since.

If the Samoans, Fijians and Tongans (and Papuans at that) can strengthen, then we can at least have some credible touring teams. Fed up of watching usv play the Kiwis. I'm all for it.

Essentially this is what I think. These defections (if you wanna call it that) might be weakening one team but they are strengthening a whole number of other ones. We've never seen so many teams of this quality in our international game. Exciting times ahead! 

15 minutes ago, DoubleD said:

It really raises the question that if they put in place a genuine international calendar, should they now look at stopping players swapping nations? 

I think they need to look at that ahead of the next World Cup

Yeah I agree. I think the rules should be that a player can only change nations once in career and changing nations in the Same Calendar year should be prevented, that behavior damaged the 2017 world cup.

Taupau could have made his decision before the Kiwi squad was picked. It wasn't fair on his Kiwi team mates or the Kiwi coach. If nobody else decides to jump ship I hope Taupau has broad shoulders as the Samoans tend to go missing in action when the going gets tough especially in games played post domestic season.

rldfsignature.jpg

4 hours ago, Abicus said:

A weakened NZRL is poor result for the game. They have enough problems as it is to now be the de facto player factory for the Pacific nations.

Surely it’s been the Pacific nations who have been the player factory for NZ (and other nations, in both league and union) for decades. As others have said, this is strengthening the Pacific nations so it’s a good thing in my book. 

3 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Yeah I agree. I think the rules should be that a player can only change nations once in career and changing nations in the Same Calendar year should be prevented, that behavior damaged the 2017 world cup.

Absolutely. I don't think we're at the stage with our junior internationals where we could say once you've made the choice at after u21s thats it but realistically the nation swapping should stop. Perhaps we should do what Bath RU do and have every player put their national team flag on their shirt somewhere to indicate who they intend to line up for. Even if it seems rather minor, its a repeated way of reminding players of the international game and reinforcing commitment to it.

5 hours ago, Abicus said:

Huge development. If RTS were to follow would be similar to when JT/Fifita decided to play for Tonga.

I think the hype Tonga has created has proven so far that high profile players switching to these pacific nations is actually a great result for the game. Tonga are selling out stadiums consistently, creating great media hype and adding to the international depth. If Samoa can achieve something similar then surely that is a good thing. I do feel for NZ but players are knocking back Australia as well. We could get 6 nations with the talent available (Aus, NZ, Eng, Tonga, Samoa, Fiji) up to a similar level of competitiveness. People forget Fiji beat NZ last time they played and since have produced two new exciting wingers (though wingers they are not short on) just this year for St George and Parra. 

The Big problem for Tonga, and Fiji (not so much Samoa) is quality halves. If these oceanic games can successfully create a good enough profile I'm hoping some guys from Super Rugby might consider making the switch to league considering there is a hole there ready to be filled for someone with a bit of a kicking game, but that is hopeful thinking. 

We need more international games for all to make sticking with one country more attractive. If the Pacific Islands were guaranteed the same sort of schedule as the tier 1 countries then sticking with the same country wouldn't be seen as a barrier.

2 hours ago, Curly perm said:

Surely it’s been the Pacific nations who have been the player factory for NZ (and other nations, in both league and union) for decades. As others have said, this is strengthening the Pacific nations so it’s a good thing in my book. 

Martin Taupau, Jason Taumololo, Sio Siua Taukeiaho, Manu Ma'u and David Fusitua are all New Zealanders by birth (all from Auckland). Very few RL players actually come from Tonga or Samoa, so while there are a lot of guys with Island heritage, strictly speaking it's NZ that's producing these players.

29 minutes ago, Damien said:

We need more international games for all to make sticking with one country more attractive. If the Pacific Islands were guaranteed the same sort of schedule as the tier 1 countries then sticking with the same country wouldn't be seen as a barrier.

The new Oceania Cup (providing the RL authorities stick with it) should go a long way to start providing the Pacific nations with regular meaningful fixtures. It's just a pity it starts with one game in June and then gets put on the back burner til October. 

6 minutes ago, thirteenthman said:

The new Oceania Cup (providing the RL authorities stick with it) should go a long way to start providing the Pacific nations with regular meaningful fixtures. It's just a pity it starts with one game in June and then gets put on the back burner til October. 

It should but there needs to be a meaningful schedule stuck to over a number of years so that players can see it in action and be convinced. We have seen various plans over a large number of years come and go with little progress.

7 hours ago, Wellsy4HullFC said:

And yet all those teams being strengthened don’t stand the slightest chance of beating Australia unless they have an off day. So now we’re left with one team clearly above the rest and everyone else being slightly competitive 

26 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

And yet all those teams being strengthened don’t stand the slightest chance of beating Australia unless they have an off day. So now we’re left with one team clearly above the rest and everyone else being slightly competitive 

Well if Australia actually organise some games, teams might actually have a chance to beat them!

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Archived