Headingley redevelopment

5 hours ago, Tre Cool said:

Why do Leeds fans insist on calling it the best stadium in the league?!  It really really isn't.  It's definitely worse than Saints, Wigan and Hull.

Probably because it's new and there isn't much competition. Saints is slightly better for me because the entire stadium has a roof and good sightlines (20% of Headingley is a shallow hill after all) and is of a similar basic/value build as the "south stand" (I wish they'd change the name) and the North Stand general access area. Warrington also has a larger number of covered places and, being enclosed, can generate a racket. The facilities and concourses are similar at all 3 (not talking corporate, I wouldn't know or care)

Hull and Wigan are bigger and better than Headingley to be fair, but for obvious reasons. Neither are ideal for the smallish crowds though and should have some provision for standing, given the seats are largely unreserved anyway

Headingley being hemmed in by roads gives it an interesting shape in parts, a bit like the old Dell at Southampton, otherwise it would just be a pretty cheap and basic kind of Millwalll build. Thank God the Carnegie stand has a bit of character with the overhang

But let's face it, none of these grounds are turning any heads outside of RL circles

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

I think anyone who has been to elland road recently would be delighted at being able to sit somewhere they fit. I love elland road and it has a great atmosphere but it is not a comfortable place to be.

Also the prices arent expensive nor did they go up that much.

The problem is three fold, the game as a whole struggles to make an impact, the clubs presence in the city is nowhere near what it was and the club made a strategic mistake thinking that people would just come back, it allowed people to get out of the habit. 

I think the small seats thing is just an obsession among the few inveterates who post on here. It's not a thing in the real world and and I've never heard an LUFC fan complain about it. No way would any LUFC fan swap the experience of LS11 for LS6 because the seats are delightfully big! Seat size is way behind value, atmosphere, camaraderie, passion, noise and spectacle I'd have thought

£22 is expensive for a child to watch a game of Rugby League, few northern football fans would stand for that to be honest, and £36 is pretty expensive for an adult. 

6 minutes ago, Gorbals said:

I think the small seats thing is just an obsession among the few inveterates who post on here. It's not a thing in the real world and and I've never heard an LUFC fan complain about it. No way would any LUFC fan swap the experience of LS11 for LS6 because the seats are delightfully big! Seat size is way behind value, atmosphere, camaraderie, passion, noise and spectacle I'd have thought

£22 is expensive for a child to watch a game of Rugby League, few northern football fans would stand for that to be honest, and £36 is pretty expensive for an adult. 

The one thing the RL club have done correct though is to keep plenty of standing - especially the new South Stand with seats above - nothing worse than watching football or RL with fans who want to stand but forcing them into seats. The fans stand anyway which can cause arguments and you are up and down all match regardless what the rules are.

Wire did this great, Saints less so but both are still great RL stadiums and Leeds is up there.

Apart from being in fundamentally the wrong part of the city Elland Road's uncomfortable seats and pretty poor matchday experience are key reasons why I don't want Leeds to ever play any more games there.

8 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

I think anyone who has been to elland road recently would be delighted at being able to sit somewhere they fit. I love elland road and it has a great atmosphere but it is not a comfortable place to be.

Also the prices arent expensive nor did they go up that much.

The problem is three fold, the game as a whole struggles to make an impact, the clubs presence in the city is nowhere near what it was and the club made a strategic mistake thinking that people would just come back, it allowed people to get out of the habit. 

There gonna really need to push the boat out on marketing next year to get the crowds up. 

Said it for years that the club became lazy and were just happy to have 15-17k attendances. Marketing is non existent and as you say we have zero presence in the city. 

Was a massive mistake not to move out for a year and was very arrogant that they thought everyone would just come back especially with massive ticket price increase. Should have done some cheap offers on half season tickets for when the ground fully opened. 

9 hours ago, Padge said:

Is it?

Yes . And it has been since 1890 you know .The lodgers the RU club whatever their name is now ? Dont think they've given up incorporating the name of the city ,are now close to liquidation only ever paid rent . Your point is ?

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

8 hours ago, Gorbals said:

But let's face it, none of these grounds are turning any heads outside of RL circles

You would be surprised - having modern stadia with terraced stands is a real asset to our game. Even the lower leagues of football are phasing them out. Football fans I have taken to matches at Saints and Warrington have all been impressed.

I think the developments at Headingley so far do look more the part than say the new Warrington and StHelens grounds of course it cost more than probably both of them combined . They look a bit Toytownish not quality built 

FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

3 minutes ago, JonNgog said:

You would be surprised - having modern stadia with terraced stands is a real asset to our game. Even the lower leagues of football are phasing them out. Football fans I have taken to matches at Saints and Warrington have all been impressed.

I've gone to a game at ER a d where I was they were all standing, bit annoying when I wanted to sit 

JAMIE PEACOCK

40 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

Yes . And it has been since 1890 you know .The lodgers the RU club whatever their name is now ? Dont think they've given up incorporating the name of the city ,are now close to liquidation only ever paid rent . Your point is ?

As you have just pointed out it is not a purpose  built rugby league ground.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com

Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007

Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 hour ago, Mattrhino said:

There gonna really need to push the boat out on marketing next year to get the crowds up. 

Said it for years that the club became lazy and were just happy to have 15-17k attendances. Marketing is non existent and as you say we have zero presence in the city. 

Was a massive mistake not to move out for a year and was very arrogant that they thought everyone would just come back especially with massive ticket price increase. Should have done some cheap offers on half season tickets for when the ground fully opened. 

I get a lot of marketing emails from the rhinos, they have mobile billboards around the city advertising games and have the biggest social media presence of any Super League club, but there’s always more that can be done. 

I’m very surprised half season tickets haven’t gone on sale, that seems like a no brainier to boost attendances.

11 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

They tried their best many times to purchase the houses behind western terrace - even applied for a compulsory purchase order but to no avail. I do think some effort should be made to at least put a roof on the stand even if it can’t be redeveloped for some time. 

Have they? I don't think there's much evidence to support that idea. 

In any case, it's not going to happen. The houses on The Turnaways are decent family homes and are very much part of Leeds City Council's strategy for Headingley - they want to move the student population away from Headingley and towards the City Centre, encouraging city centre apartments, discouraging HMOs in LS6 and encouraging family-occupied properties. A proposal to knocking down those sorts of houses would get laughed out of the planning meeting. 

On top of that, I really don't think that there's a return on investment to be had for the club. Is there really that pent-up demand from away fans who don't travel to Headingley to watch a sport played predominantly in the driest months of the year because the Western Terrace doesn't have a roof? 

2 minutes ago, whatmichaelsays said:

In any case, it's not going to happen. The houses on The Turnaways are decent family homes and are very much part of Leeds City Council's strategy for Headingley - they want to move the student population away from Headingley and towards the City Centre, encouraging city centre apartments, discouraging HMOs in LS6 and encouraging family-occupied properties. A proposal to knocking down those sorts of houses would get laughed out of the planning meeting. 

On top of that, I really don't think that there's a return on investment to be had for the club. Is there really that pent-up demand from away fans who don't travel to Headingley to watch a sport played predominantly in the driest months of the year because the Western Terrace doesn't have a roof? 

Where there is a will there is a way. However as Leeds currently get no where near capacity and when 3 sides is covered it seems like a waste of time and huge amounts of money for little benefit. Also there is the fact that many do actually like to stand on an open terrace in good weather. As I said Headingley for me has something to suit everyone. If you want to sit, stand, be covered, not covered or want good hospitality it has options for all.

59 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

How is it not a purpose built Rugby League ground? Its main purpose has and is to hold rugby league games. What concessions do you think have been made in its design so that the Union side could use it?

Rugby league did not exist when it was built. 

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

1 minute ago, scotchy1 said:

That's a bit of a stretch. Im pretty sure none of the stadium now was around in 1890. Everything on the site now was purpose built for Rugby League

Focag stated it was built in 1890 as a purpose built Rugby league ground. I was merely pointing out that that was a load of bollards. 

3 hours ago, JonNgog said:

Headingley rugby ground is also physically connected to a Test cricket Venue so I would imagine people watching the cricket notice the 20K seater rugby stadium attached to the cricket ground.

57 minutes ago, Damien said:

Where there is a will there is a way. However as Leeds currently get no where near capacity and when 3 sides is covered it seems like a waste of time and huge amounts of money for little benefit. Also there is the fact that many do actually like to stand on an open terrace in good weather. As I said Headingley for me has something to suit everyone. If you want to sit, stand, be covered, not covered or want good hospitality it has options for all.

There is zero benefit for them to renovate the Western Terrace, the cost would outweigh the return by a huge amount.

Is standing at the Western Terrace really that bad? I've stood there many a time and it's been fine and if you really do want to sit, just by a seat nearer the western terrace.

Just now, Chrispmartha said:

There is zero benefit for them to renovate the Western Terrace, the cost would outweigh the return by a huge amount.

Is standing at the Western Terrace really that bad? I've stood there many a time and it's been fine and if you really do want to sit, just by a seat nearer the western terrace.

That's what I was saying. I've spent a fair few pleasant summers evening stood on the Western Terrace and its what many people want on a decent/good day. If you don't want to chance it then buy tickets elsewhere, its not really a big deal.

3 minutes ago, Sir Kevin Sinfield said:

3 of the 4 stands were built in the last 10 years

Irrelevant to the point I was answering. 

20 hours ago, Loiner said:

That's quite correct M.O.K . I said many years ago Leeds should have bought up the houses there then there would be no issue with objections with planning permission to erect a roof on the western terrace. The houses could have players or students as occupants.

Or rented out on match days (including cricket) or turned into offices etc

2 hours ago, whatmichaelsays said:

I mean I can't find a direct article to support my comments regarding the CPO, so I'll accept maybe this was only ever a rumour and/or not actually carried through. But they certainly did make attempts to purchase the properties directly behind the western terrace over the years. Agree that planning permission wouldn't be a shoo-in for any large development of that end of the ground but that doesn't mean the club shouldn't make improvements, starting with some form of shelter from the elements. And yes, it definitely does have an impact on numbers that travel to Headingley depending on the weather. If it had no or little impact then why would every* new build stadium in the country bother to put on a roof? The sport is played Feb to Oct - June would be one of those dry months I guess.....

*excluding maybe cricket

1 hour ago, Chrispmartha said:

1 hour ago, Damien said:

That's what I was saying. I've spent a fair few pleasant summers evening stood on the Western Terrace and its what many people want on a decent/good day. If you don't want to chance it then buy tickets elsewhere, its not really a big deal.

To be clear on my opinion - I'm not suggesting removing the terrace, just that some kind of shelter is provided for what is the 'away end'. Most away fans aren't precious about wanting to sit, but I think what they do take exception to is being charged the same as home fans (where the terraces are predominantly under a roof) to stand on the western terrace and being exposed to the elements in the very likely scenario the weather isn't great. 

20 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

To be clear on my opinion - I'm not suggesting removing the terrace, just that some kind of shelter is provided for what is the 'away end'. Most away fans aren't precious about wanting to sit, but I think what they do take exception to is being charged the same as home fans (where the terraces are predominantly under a roof) to stand on the western terrace and being exposed to the elements in the very likely scenario the weather isn't great. 

There’s nothing to stop away supporters buying a ticket to stand or indeed sit in a covered area

is away support generally larger at fully covered grounds such as Ssints, Warrington etc?

8 minutes ago, scotchy1 said:

The cost of developing the Western Terrace would be astronomical compared to its benefit, which would be solely to stop a few away fans moaning. The amount of extra revenue it would generate would be negligible. 

Sure it would be lovely to have it done but doing so would be entirely a vanity project, as a business decision it makes no sense whatsoever 

Which is why most people will regard it to be 3/4 of good stadium, but never a great one. You mentioned yourself that you were disappointed the club rested on their laurels in terms of the home fanbase - you can safely say they did even less than that for away fans. I get the Rhinos probably have stats that back up away fans aren't a great source of revenue, but not a great look to have 3 shiny home stands and the away stand unchanged in decades. And I'm sure many will still come to Headingley to follow their team - but purely out of loyalty rather than any kind of great match day experience, especially if it's raining. 

Archived