Headingley redevelopment

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, whatmichaelsays said:

The big screen had to be moved when Leeds installed a permanent screen precisely because it would have infringed on the right to light of the properties behind it. 

Ok so even if that's true (i'm not doubting you just wasn't aware of that) that doesn't mean any planning application for a roof would automatically be denied - the planning applications would look completely for the two proposals. 

24 minutes ago, fieldofclothofgold said:

LCC will not give permission to any Development which spoils the look of the Turnways 

A roof wouldn't spoil the look. In fact one of the biggest complaints residents have had on the Turnways is the noise - surely a roof would help reduce that somewhat. 

Obviously everything we're all saying about this is speculation because to my knowledge Leeds have never proposed and/or applied to have a roof on the Western Terrace.

Its crystal clear that whilst undertaking a multi million pound renovation of the stadium, no one involved with Leeds noticed one of the stands didnt have a roof on.

This can be the only explanation If it was as easy to do as some of the experts on here suggest.

10 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

Its crystal clear that whilst undertaking a multi million pound renovation of the stadium, no one involved with Leeds noticed one of the stands didnt have a roof on.

This can be the only explanation If it was as easy to do as some of the experts on here suggest.

That sounds ridiculous - I don't think any of the experts are saying that, Rhinos78. 

18 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

That sounds ridiculous - I don't think any of the experts are saying that, Rhinos78. 

What part of it is ridiculous?

Thats exactly what theyr saying.

It cant be that hard to do this....

All theyd have to do is this....

Like everybody at the club, including real experts in construction like Caddick, have been blind to these easy solutions , of course they havnt.

If it was as easy as what some are suggesting and the club thought it worthwhile, it would of been done.

11 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

What part of it is ridiculous?

Thats exactly what theyr saying.

It cant be that hard to do this....

All theyd have to do is this....

Like everybody at the club, including real experts in construction like Caddick, have been blind to these easy solutions , of course they havnt.

If it was as easy as what some are suggesting and the club thought it worthwhile, it would of been done.

That's all this might come down to - they don't. 

4 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

That's all this might come down to - they don't. 

Theres no might about it, they obviously dont.

So they either like it as it is or its not as easy to just chuck a roof on, as is being suggested. 

1 minute ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Well....yeah, there's a couple of reasons at least....hence 'might'. 

Which one seems more realistic

Multi million refurb of the stadium and leave one stand sticking out like a sore thumb, because they want to, even though it would be easy to spruce it up and put a roof on

Or

Multi million refurb of the stadium and leave one stand sticking out like a sore thumb, because its a much more complicated process than is being suggested and not cost effective.

22 minutes ago, rhinos78 said:

Which one seems more realistic

Multi million refurb of the stadium and leave one stand sticking out like a sore thumb, because they want to, even though it would be easy to spruce it up and put a roof on

Or

Multi million refurb of the stadium and leave one stand sticking out like a sore thumb, because its a much more complicated process than is being suggested and not cost effective.

It's never going to be that binary - probably elements of both. What is undeniable however is that it does stick out like a sore thumb and hasn't been left like that because of it's 'charm'. 

3 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

It's never going to be that binary - probably elements of both. What is undeniable however is that it does stick out like a sore thumb and hasn't been left like that because of it's 'charm'. 

So if it hasnt been left like that because of its charm, and you agree that it sticks out like a sore thumb, do you really think the club, who'v just spent millions on millions to refurb the stadium, havnt looked at it, and mayb caddick, who's made his fortune through construction, would know how to get the job done if it was as easy as your suggesting, or do you honestly think the real experts have missed this easy, minimul cost solution that the RL forum experts are seeing?

They hant left it like that because they want opposition fans to get wet.

5 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Ok so even if that's true (i'm not doubting you just wasn't aware of that) that doesn't mean any planning application for a roof would automatically be denied - the planning applications would look completely for the two proposals. 

A roof wouldn't spoil the look. In fact one of the biggest complaints residents have had on the Turnways is the noise - surely a roof would help reduce that somewhat. 

Obviously everything we're all saying about this is speculation because to my knowledge Leeds have never proposed and/or applied to have a roof on the Western Terrace.

A roof needs to be a certain height and too high would block out the light ,too low would be dangerous  climbing on etc 

Soon we will be dancing the fandango
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

4 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

So if it hasnt been left like that because of its charm, and you agree that it sticks out like a sore thumb, do you really think the club, who'v just spent millions on millions to refurb the stadium, havnt looked at it, and mayb caddick, who's made his fortune through construction, would know how to get the job done if it was as easy as your suggesting, or do you honestly think the real experts have missed this easy, minimul cost solution that the RL forum experts are seeing?

They hant left it like that because they want opposition fans to get wet.

Depends how you define minimal cost. Compared to the other 2 stands - definitely. Still a relatively significant amount of money - probably. 

Like I’ve said from the outset, the only thing I’m taking issue with is people calling Headingley ‘the best’ and has ‘excellent facilities’ etc which is true, if you completely disregard one end of the stadium. I was merely pointing this out and posing questions as to why this may have been. 

11 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

As has been stated on this forum before Leeds gained indicative planning approval for a roof on the Western terrace as part of the stadium masterplan back in 2000. The council have shown themselves unwilling in recent years to go back on things in that plan even if the details change.

The problem is the bit which was OK'd for the terrace was so perfunctory as to be almost pointless. An initial, slightly larger, submission was rejected because of the impact on the gardens behind.

22 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

Depends how you define minimal cost. Compared to the other 2 stands - definitely. Still a relatively significant amount of money - probably. 

Like I’ve said from the outset, the only thing I’m taking issue with is people calling Headingley ‘the best’ and has ‘excellent facilities’ etc which is true, if you completely disregard one end of the stadium. I was merely pointing this out and posing questions as to why this may have been. 

Thing is though, anybody saying somthing is  'the best'  when it comes to a stadium is an opinion, Most Leeds fans are going to be biased in favour of Headingley, most non Leeds fans are going to be biased against Headingley.

What isnt in doubt is that its right up there as one of the best, its not like its an outrageous claim, so cant really see why you'd 'take issue' with someone saying its the best, you might not be able to look past that one stand, others might not mind it as much as you and think the rest of the sadium more than makes up for it, like i say, opinions. Certainly nothing to take issue about.

3 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

Thing is though, anybody saying somthing is  'the best'  when it comes to a stadium is an opinion, Most Leeds fans are going to be biased in favour of Headingley, most non Leeds fans are going to be biased against Headingley.

What isnt in doubt is that its right up there as one of the best, its not like its an outrageous claim, so cant really see why you'd 'take issue' with someone saying its the best, you might not be able to look past that one stand, others might not mind it as much as you and think the rest of the sadium more than makes up for it, like i say, opinions. Certainly nothing to take issue about.

I agree with everything you said there until the very last sentence, as it completely contradicts everything you said before it. By definition to ‘take issue’ is to disagree and as that is my opinion then....

19 hours ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I agree with everything you said there until the very last sentence, as it completely contradicts everything you said before it. By definition to ‘take issue’ is to disagree and as that is my opinion then....

So if your agreed its up there as one of the best, not sure how you can, by deffinition, disgree strongly, with sumone who thinks it is the best, theres no chart to measure it on, people just look for different things. 

22 hours ago, rhinos78 said:

So if your agreed its up there as one of the best, not sure how you can, by deffinition, disgree strongly, with sumone who thinks it is the best, theres no chart to measure it on, people just look for different things. 

I meant I agreed with everything about it being opinions, not necessarily everything you said. I thought that was implied but should’ve clarified.

31 minutes ago, hunsletgreenandgold said:

I meant I agreed with everything about it being opinions, not necessarily everything you said. I thought that was implied but should’ve clarified.

End of the day, if people think Headingleys the best stadium, in there opinion, for what they look for, then regardless of what you think, or how many times you mention the western terrace, for them, its the best, end of. If you think other stadiums are better, again, thats your decision to make, and no one can tell you your wrong.

I dont understand why its so important, theyv done a great job in developing a traditional stadium into a very impressive venue. Wether that makes it the best, 2nd best or whatever best, i couldnt care less. It dosnt matter.

Archived