Total Rugby League Fans Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RL does what Sky says

How others see our game

The BBC Sport website has recently run a poll asking for people to name their best-ever one day international Indian cricket team. After showing the results then people have been commenting on the selected team. One such comment featured the following .... "Without India, international cricket would just be a niche sport like Rugby League."

Therefore although we all think RL is TGG, we are of course looking at it from an insiders point of view but it appears the game has never really grown in many other peoples' perception of it.

Probably similar to chess - most people not involved will just have a perception that it is a game where two old men sit looking down at a table for hours on end and that the Russians are top of the world .... whereas the truth is that the World Champion for the past five years has been a Norwegian who won the title five years ago when aged 22.

Many outsiders still believe that RL players are overweight and just come out of the pit to have a fight on a muddy field. Until such perceptions are changed then the game, unfortunately, will never really expand in the public's view of it.

Edited by RL does what Sky says
  • Like 1

I was actually thinking about this yesterday ... I was at work in London and a few of the team were asking who’d be watching the Women’s WC game last night, I said I’d be watching Leeds v Wigan, one guy said oh is it Leeds Wigan tonight, I’ll definitely be watching then but the rest quickly got on to comments likes ‘how far down the M1 do you have to go before no one has heard of RL? J30?’.  The perception is it’s Northern and a bit niche ... although I think there is wide acknowledgment that the players are very fit and athletic, very much respected on that front.

When I told them about Toronto it sparked one interest and conversation - always does whenever I tell anyone about it!

The few times I’ve seen us break through to general chat at work is the RLWC semi against the Kiwis in 2013 and then occasionally the Wembley final.

Edited by Odsal Outlaw
  • Like 5

Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League

Harry Jepson Winners 2008

RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008

Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005

RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

The worst thing we did was having the  TGG tag line...  I love watching RL but I never think its TGG, plus I think too many think it to the exclusion of what the rest of the population think....

• Like 1

In terms of awareness, level of support and spread it is niche. At one level I quite like that. 

We are staying with some Australians in Greece at the moment and met up with another Aus couple last night. Said I liked RL (or football as they described it) and that was that. Not a niche sport there. 

• Like 1

TGG is a term we can use among the already-converted.

However, I don't see the same cultural cringe in fans of Football (The Beautiful Game), Horse Racing (The Game of Kings) or The Dark Side (The Game they play in Heaven).

If you do come across someone who repeats the well-rehearsed Twickenham Creed of "the M62, New South Wales and Queensland", I wouldn't even bother trying to convince them otherwise. They are rock-solid in their delusion, and nothing will shake it, so are not worth your breath. In addition, when/if they do find out that that they're wrong, the realisation will be even more unpleasant (and richly deserved) for them.

Plenty of other folk, however, are open to enlightenment, as long as you don't come across as a didactic bore and monomaniac windbag.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 2

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

Cricket with all their exposure, resources and media coverage hasn't exactly set the world on fire in a hundred and fifty years of existence. Barring the Netherlands does any other European country play cricket? I don't include Gibraltar in that either. It's popular in the country with the world's second largest population. It's nowhere in China, Russia or the USA. I'm talking serious cricket, not some expats knocking a ball around Central Park in Manhattan. It's a sport that has gained popularity in former British Empire nations purely and simply because they had the backing of the military and other expat Brits who were posted there or emigrated there..

• Like 1

rldfsignature.jpg

2 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Cricket with all their exposure, resources and media coverage hasn't exactly set the world on fire in a hundred and fifty years of existence. Barring the Netherlands does any other European country play cricket? I don't include Gibraltar in that either. It's popular in the country with the world's second largest population. It's nowhere in China, Russia or the USA. I'm talking serious cricket, not some expats knocking a ball around Central Park in Manhattan. It's a sport that has gained popularity in former British Empire nations purely and simply because they had the backing of the military and other expat Brits who were posted there or emigrated there..

Like RL, cricket pops* up in odd places at a low level, like the leafy LA suburb of Compton, a neighbourhood celebrated in song by those nice young men NWA: http://www.comptoncricketclub.us/

*pun intended.

• Thanks 1

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon. (Susan Ertz)

12 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

However, I don't see the same cultural cringe in fans of Football (The Beautiful Game), Horse Racing (The Game of Kings) or The Dark Side (The Game they play in Heaven).

However the key difference being that none of those slogans are comparisons or elevating itself above others in their respective meanings unlike “The Greatest Game of All”

Edited by Yorkshire Knight
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

However the key difference being that none of those slogans are comparisons or elevating itself above others in their respective meanings unlike “The Greatest Game of All”

The hubris is the same. The only difference is that TGG provokes a response from one of our resident RU trolls.

Edited by Futtocks
  • Like 6

16 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

If you do come across someone who repeats the well-rehearsed Twickenham Creed of "the M62, New South Wales and Queensland", I wouldn't even bother trying to convince them otherwise. They are rock-solid in their delusion, and nothing will shake it, so are not worth your breath. In addition, when/if they do find out that that they're wrong, the realisation will be even more unpleasant (and richly deserved) for them.

Plenty of other folk, however, are open to enlightenment, as long as you don't come across as a didactic bore and monomaniac windbag.

That's bang on. I wouldn't waste my breath. 

Whilst being less parochial will better ensure continued funding of the game on a world level, I am quite happy to let other sports get on with whatever they are getting on with. Clearly, anyone who still uses the M62 mantra to degrade the sport is badly informed and likely to make a prat of themselves if they try to argue the toss. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Yorkshire Knight said:

Yes, you are right, we shouldn't come across as arrogant.

Maybe we should call it "The, Well We Really Like It But We Accept That These Things Are Subjective And We Fully Understand If You Have A Different Preference Game Of All" or TWWRLIBWATTTASAWFUIYHADPGOFA for short.

Thank goodness you are here to keep our feet on the ground.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Northern Eel said:

That's bang on. I wouldn't waste my breath. 

Whilst being less parochial will better ensure continued funding of the game on a world level, I am quite happy to let other sports get on with whatever they are getting on with. Clearly, anyone who still uses the M62 mantra to degrade the sport is badly informed and likely to make a prat of themselves if they try to argue the toss. 

The other reason not to waste your breath is that you really don't want to forewarn people like that, especially if they have contacts that could be alerted to the unacceptable spectacle of people choosing the sport they want to play or watch. For all you know, the ignoramus you're talking to might have the personal phone number of an old school chum who is now the Minister of Sport (or Head of the Secret Police) in a RL expansion area.

Best they find out when it's far too late to stop, right?

48 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Crickets not in a great place in England. RLs never been a top sport in terms of exposure nationally but cricket has been. Not any more. Interesting to think whether its move to Sky from terrestrial has had a negative effect. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EssexRL said:

Crickets not in a great place in England. RLs never been a top sport in terms of exposure nationally but cricket has been. Not any more. Interesting to think whether its move to Sky from terrestrial has had a negative effect. 

Nah, only rugby league sold their soul to the devil. 

rldfsignature.jpg

54 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Ireland for one!!

1 hour ago, redjonn said:

The worst thing we did was having the  TGG tag line...  I love watching RL but I never think its TGG, plus I think too many think it to the exclusion of what the rest of the population think....

I've never used TGG. 

The problem here is the use of the superlative 'Greatest', implying that other sports are inferior. The 'Beautiful' game, for example, claims territory, but makes no such suggestion. 

If I need to differentiate, I refer to 'Proper Rugby', but the term I really like is the REBEL CODE... yes, it's worth shouting about.

Edited by Manxmanc
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, RL does what Sky says said:

Or GUBRATS ...... Guaranteed, Union Brings Rarely Achieved Try Scoring

Funnily enough watching the Argentinian ' Jaguaeres ' v Japan's ' Sunwolves ' last night with my son 

What a stupid set of rules they have , the ' Jags ' had a 3 on 1 overlap , the Wolves player manages to get his hand to a pass , result ? , Penalty try and a yellow card for an intentional knock on 😱

Then we had the situation where both the Wolves hookers had left the pitch injured , result ? , Uncontested scrums for the rest of the match WTF ? 🤔

1 hour ago, GUBRATS said:

I'd go with " TUGPBUAIH " 

The Ugly Game Played By Unpretentious Athletes In Hell 🙃

How about RBNTRTTBBCKBOA,BTOWS,CAFAMITWTRHDBKOWYWON*

*Rugby But Not The Rugby That The BBC Keep Banging On About, But The One Where Skill, Courage And Fitness Are More Important Than Whether The Referee Has Decided Before Kick Off Whether You'll Win Or Not.

2 minutes ago, Man of Kent said:

Doesn’t the Cricket World Cup consist of only 10 countries? They have nothing to teach us 

To be fair to Cricket (and condemnatory of the ICB), they reduced the number of teams for this tournament's final stages, compared to the last one. And the event is poorer for it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Futtocks said:

To be fair to Cricket (and condemnatory of the ICB), they reduced the number of teams for this tournament's final stages, compared to the last one. And the event is poorer for it.

They probably could have added a couple more teams from the Netherlands, Zimbabwe, Ireland and Scotland.

Then again, the format allows for each country playing each other, which has its merits.