New way of covering the game on Tv

1 hour ago, gingerjon said:

I hadn't really thought about it but you're right about the sound quality. There's something really weird about how the noises of the game, including the commentary, come across. Even with the noise it never feels like there's an atmosphere - and that creates the worst impression possible.

Surely this must have something to do with the ridiculous volume levels of the ref's mike. When you're trying to make yourself heard over someone shouting Mooove every 10 seconds the rest of the audio will always sound quiet.

I've no idea why Sky and the BBC put the volume level of the ref's mike up so high. It really jars with me and I'd be quite happy to see it binned, or at the very least offered as a red button option instead.

40 minutes ago, Lapsed Leeds Fan said:

Surely this must have something to do with the ridiculous volume levels of the ref's mike. When you're trying to make yourself heard over someone shouting Mooove every 10 seconds the rest of the audio will always sound quiet.

I've no idea why Sky and the BBC put the volume level of the ref's mike up so high. It really jars with me and I'd be quite happy to see it binned, or at the very least offered as a red button option instead.

Would no ref's mike and the crowd volume cranked up be better? The refs mike could still be used in replays if incidents if needed. I don't know how much we gain from the ref's mike throughout the game anyway.

3 hours ago, scotchy1 said:

You misunderstand me Sky wouldn't be paying for the increase in outlay for match production, they would pay more for the rights because SL had taken in the costs for production. SL would taken the costs of match production  which would be met in part by the Sky, the benefit to SL would be try to create economies of scale to make games 3, 4 and 5 cost les per game, and then sell that content on to sky and other providers.

But Sky Sports are in charge of the production, not Super League. Brian Carney, John Wells, Phil Clarke etc. are employees of Sky Sports, as are the operators of the cameras.

And if Sky Sports are being asked to pay more for the rights (which could only take effect after the present contract has expired) it wouldn't be cost neutral to them.

I agree about the oversimplification of the game in comparison to other sports, and that the speed of the contest allows little time for explaining the action to anyone, never mind those unfamiliar with the game.

I've been a fan all my life and still find the descriptions of how teams set up an attack or their defensive alignment fascinating when explained by an expert such as Tony Rea.

When they do the analysis in cricket in the indoor nets examining bowling and batting techniques, we should have similar inserts into the pre-game show explaining how each of the teams likes to put part of its game plan into action.

8 hours ago, Cookiepuss said:

I agree about the oversimplification of the game in comparison to other sports, and that the speed of the contest allows little time for explaining the action to anyone, never mind those unfamiliar with the game.

I've been a fan all my life and still find the descriptions of how teams set up an attack or their defensive alignment fascinating when explained by an expert such as Tony Rea.

When they do the analysis in cricket in the indoor nets examining bowling and batting techniques, we should have similar inserts into the pre-game show explaining how each of the teams likes to put part of its game plan into action.

They did recently do a masterclass type thing that was similar in format to the cricket series. Jamie Jones Buchanan presented it and I remember Kevin Brown did one of them. It seems to have died a death, though.

2 hours ago, southwalesrabbitoh said:

Instead of the scrum have the option of a 7 on 7 play instead. The rest of the team have to start with one foot on the touch line. 2 ppl with one foot on the 10m in from touch line, play the ball 10m in from touch.  

GET RID of the scrum.

Haven't you had enough of this yet? It's not even on the right topic.

Wells%20Motors%20(Signature)_zps67e534e4.jpg

Funnily enough I think Sky have started to take more care about explaining some of the complexities of the game via the Wells segment - plus Carney always speaks in a bit more detail as the presenter. 

The problem then is that the dumbness of filling the commentary box with the likes of Baz and Tez who bang on about big hits and shoulder charges then drags the IQ of the broadcast down by a substantial amount. Phil Clarke used to be a bit fresh and used to use stats, but even he has just dumbed down beyond belief. He picks up on one point and drills it home all game irresepctive of what happens on the field to make him look clever. A Hudds game on TV recently showed this when all he banged on about was how they score more down the right flank which is unusual. That is interesting enough to be mentioned once, maybe twice, but it became the theme of the game.

I think the broadcasts would benefit from clear lines and roles. It's just a bit of a mess at the moment.

The game is too quick these days. The uninformed blink and miss it. 

To a certain extent players in football will miss passes galore and make mistakes, but I do not see it being very edifying in RL to have dropped balls etc being paraded around to show how bad we are because we rush around a lot.

To be fair, most of what the football that the public watch are edited highlights with all the boring and mistake ridden play cut out.

Those with a long memory will remember Sam Leach who could edit a miserable 0-0 draw on the early Match of the Days and turn it into world beating cliff hanger.

Archived