Match day experience

town blue

I have supported both teams all my life and I have to say Borough Park provides the best match day experience and atmosphere.  Thoroughly  enjoyed today's game  - you could feel the atmosphere ( even with the DP faithful strangely quiet) and hear every crunching tackle.  I know people on here will disagree with me, but if it came down to developing only one ground if the new stadium falls through I would choose BP.  I thought today's gate was a 1000+.

5 minutes ago, town blue said:

I have supported both teams all my life and I have to say Borough Park provides the best match day experience and atmosphere.  Thoroughly  enjoyed today's game  - you could feel the atmosphere ( even with the DP faithful strangely quiet) and hear every crunching tackle.  I know people on here will disagree with me, but if it came down to developing only one ground if the new stadium falls through I would choose BP.  I thought today's gate was a 1000+.

I don't think any Town fan will disagree with you, been watching Town at BP for 55yrs but BP creates a better atmosphere due to how close the fans are to the pitch. We need that new stadium ?

Hope there was some Reds supporters  that went to todays game  and enjoyed it , because we could really do with both sets of supporters  supporting each other  . United we stand  and show the councillors  that we need a new stadium  .

Cant disagree. BP is a far better facility for watching the game. Close to.the action. Not squinting to see which player is which. If there could be another bar/food on the dog track side. I'd be more than happy developing BP. 

Overall an enjoyable occasion and I look.forward to returning next week 

Hadn't been to the Reds ground for decades and thoroughly enjoyed the different experience. The pitch was a credit to the ground staff but I was shocked to see the state of the stand - so much seating in positively dangerous condition and a leaking roof. Not a reflection on the Reds management- I'm sure they do all they can with very limited resources. Very handy parking at Perry's Palace ( is Jenkinson looking to take his Crown?) .  Also pie, proper peas, gravy and chips for a fiver !      As for the proximity of the speccies to the pitch surely now that DP is to be widened after the removal of the speedway track that experience will be improved?  One thing is for certain - both Clubs deserve much better facilities and any councillors standing in the way of meaningful development aren't fit for office.  

1 hour ago, Packhoss said:

Far better for watching, just need to sort the alcohol policy /restriction that the stadium has 

DP had a similar policy but it was lifted in the late 90s or early 2000s, took a fair bit of doing but it was done, in the end Wilf Harrison was the main mover and shaker in getting lifted.

3 minutes ago, GeordieTownie said:

I think there’s a (sometimes justified) negative perception of football fans which is probably the main reason.

I can hardly see there being a full on riot at the reds with the gates they get.

it's a fact it's a "football bias" like you say zero trouble at reds games 

13 minutes ago, rockerlad said:

it's a fact it's a "football bias" like you say zero trouble at reds games 

Anyone who lived through the early seventies watching g Reds would tell you a different tale. Some of the games against Carlisle were like World War 3 great to see this is no longer the case. ?

Really enjoyed it down at BP today its a great little ground and great to be close to the action gray pies as well! only negative as others have said is not being able to have a pint around the ground and the two day camel ride to the toilets, good attendance of near on 900 and a good win, looking forward to next week. We'll done everyone. 

On the face of it due to fantastic work by volunteers borough park appears a decent little ground but scratch beneath the surface and it needs a hell of a lot of money spent just to keep it going, love watching football there and fantastic watching town  there again today, a decent crowd too,Mark Jenkinson was busy supporting the lakes triathlon today and putting his support all over social media, someone better tell him there's another game next week 

It's the first time I've got that close to fui and the bloke is huge isn't he! It's no wonder their number 6 decide on the bowling ball tackling technique ?

go **** yasell ya little **** gain NL1 then take ya **** out ya dads **** then speak proper rugby talk. you jameating little spotty ****...itchy waa waa 2008...

Just now, town4me said:

Best thing about today was being closer to the action but won't the crowd be closer  now at DP after the current pitch work is complete?  

I dont think so as we will still have the same pitch dimensions just there will be more grass behind both touch judges. Even today at BP the lines had been taken in a good few metres compared to reds games

15 minutes ago, Route66 said:

On the face of it due to fantastic work by volunteers borough park appears a decent little ground but scratch beneath the surface and it needs a hell of a lot of money spent just to keep it going, love watching football there and fantastic watching town  there again today, a decent crowd too,Mark Jenkinson was busy supporting the lakes triathlon today and putting his support all over social media, someone better tell him there's another game next week 

Mark Jenkinson seeing first hand what benefit big sporting events bring to a community? Hopefully he will have had his eyes opened

2 minutes ago, Carlisle1921 said:

I dont think so as we will still have the same pitch dimensions just there will be more grass behind both touch judges. Even today at BP the lines had been taken in a good few metres compared to reds games

I understood the pitch at DP will be widened . Shoehorning the speedway track in made it one of the narrowest pitches in Rugby League .

Just as a postscript to my experience of today I have to mention the uplifting sight of the local kids playing their hearts out at halftime. Imagine the thrill of having your folks and a few hundred others see you performing on that stage. I still recall the joy of winning half a crown (12and a half pence today) in the Seaton Carnival sports 100 yards sprint when Adam was a lad. 

Those youngsters and their parents and coaches are the lifeblood of Rugby League in West Cumbria and the much needed stadium must be provided for them and so many other local sporting causes as well as Reds and Town.   Next week is an opportunity for the new Allerdale political regime to connect with its newly inherited electorate by turning up and seeing first hand just how challenging the circumstances are for all sporting activities in THEIR part of the county.    

Really enjoyed the match at Borough Park yesterday , on such a well kept pitch , but unlike others i thought the atmosphere was a bit on the quiet side , think the seats seemed to mellow people out somehow . Town had a lot of stand out players yesterday and are starting to look like a side gong places , Coventry on the other hand were good with ball in hand but poor in defence . Their right wing partnership looked good , two big lads who could motor a bit , but failed to use them .Another thing ,  although you were closer to the action the surrounding iron railings/barriers aren`t ideal . Tylar Mellor got a nasty injury crashing into it , and Jamie was lucky to escape 2nd half when he slid into them chasing his kick .On to next week , hope to see a few more down , after yesterday we should surely get a thousand plus . UTT.

Town blue. Put in his post that if they were going to develop one ground he would choose BP ,well that's what we all want. Only not repairing things ,But knocking it down ,and building a brand new stadium  that will have modern facilities  used not only on  match days , but every Day of the week .Also we don't want people getting carried away with the match day experience of been closer to the pitch ,thinking it ok at BP as it is . Look at the big picture . there is no better match day experience than standing on the terracing  along the touch line at Whitehaven your even closer and looking down on the pitch but you wouldn't want a stadium like that .  The plans that were drawn up for the New Stadium look fantastic and would be the envy of every other club in  Cumbria .  So we just hope the New Councillors go ahead with this development for the good of the Area .  

Archived