How far can Featherstone go this year?

all the way. to say how they started the season and so many fresh players they have one hell of a squad a players, they know how to cherry pick player for sure and have shown everyone else whats possible if you have a coaching staff and club the blokes want to play for,all done by the book so i hope they do top the tables and put fev on the map at the top table.  YORKSHIRE....YORKSHIRE.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

From what I've seen, mostly on the TV obviously, Toronto are a cut above Featherstone. Could they beat them in one-off playoff match? Of course they could.

Would they be allowed into SL? That's a great question, and only Lenaghan and McManus know that right now. 

It would be kinda funny if Featherstone got promoted and Leeds got relegated. Would Featherstone start dual reg and send their surplus players to Leeds next season? ?

When we played them at ours a few games go we were beating them by a point with only 6 minutes of the game left. We had to play an 18 year winger who had only ever played for the first team once before due to our first choice winger being injured. He bombed 3 clearcut chances. Had our first choice being fit he'd have taken at least 2 of the chances. We controlled the game and played better them on the day and were unlucky. They certainly are not a cut above them on the evidence of that game. 

15 minutes ago, Steven Grason said:

On current form I'd day Fev are 2ns best in the division. Look at their last 6 games - 4 of which were York twice, Widnes and Bradford:

- Games 6
- Wins 6
- Points scored 226 (38 average)
- Points conceded 58 (10 average)

Small point of order - they only played York once in those 6 games.

Your point still stands, mind!

5 minutes ago, Gav Wilson said:

Small point of order - they only played York once in those 6 games.

Your point still stands, mind!

Yes, our 6 match run consists of Barrow, Rochdale and Sheffield away, Widnes and Bradford at home and York at the Bash.

Barrow and Sheffield away are always tricky games, Bradford and Widnes had both beaten us twice this season at their places and the Bash was our first ever win there.

All in all a pretty decent run considering where we were 4 months ago, but as others have said, there is still a way to go this season.

1 hour ago, Steven Grason said:

When we played them at ours a few games go we were beating them by a point with only 6 minutes of the game left. We had to play an 18 year winger who had only ever played for the first team once before due to our first choice winger being injured. He bombed 3 clearcut chances. Had our first choice being fit he'd have taken at least 2 of the chances. We controlled the game and played better them on the day and were unlucky. They certainly are not a cut above them on the evidence of that game. 

Yeah and we knocked Leeds Rhinos out of the Cup

I still stand by my point that, over the season, Toronto have been a cut above. 

It doesn't really matter though, does it? Get to the Championship Grand Final and it all comes down to who is best on that particular day (as London proved). You don't have to be better over the season, just be better on that one day!

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Yeah and we knocked Leeds Rhinos out of the Cup

I still stand by my point that, over the season, Toronto have been a cut above. 

It doesn't really matter though, does it? Get to the Championship Grand Final and it all comes down to who is best on that particular day (as London proved). You don't have to be better over the season, just be better on that one day!

And given that we were 6 minutes from beating them a few games ago this shows we certainly are capable of beating them in a one off game as you rightly say. For the record, we were the only team to best them away last year too. Different squads I know but won't hard our belief.

44 minutes ago, Private Baldrick said:

Yes, our 6 match run consists of Barrow, Rochdale and Sheffield away, Widnes and Bradford at home and York at the Bash.

Barrow and Sheffield away are always tricky games, Bradford and Widnes had both beaten us twice this season at their places and the Bash was our first ever win there.

All in all a pretty decent run considering where we were 4 months ago, but as others have said, there is still a way to go this season.

So, you've beaten six teams below you in the league and two of the three away wins were against the bottom two? Carry on ?

4 minutes ago, JonM said:

So, you've beaten six teams below you in the league and two of the three away wins were against the bottom two? Carry on ?

Sheffield and York were above us at the start of the run. Widnes were on the same wins as us when played them yesterday. 4 are considered rivals for top 5 in a very tight league. Anything else you need clarifying? 

3 minutes ago, JonM said:

At the time of playing them 3 of the teams were above us and 1 would have been if not for a 12 point penalty. Ask any Halifax supporter how easy it is to play at Barrow. 

Anyhow, I am enjoying watching my rugby at the minute despite what anyone else thinks.

16 minutes ago, Steven Grason said:

And given that we were 6 minutes from beating them a few games ago this shows we certainly are capable of beating them in a one off game as you rightly say. For the record, we were the only team to best them away last year too. Different squads I know but won't hard our belief.

Ahem, small point of order - London did too...

Your point still stands, mind! ?

4 hours ago, David Shepherd said:

Think the OP is being very premature (my wife tells me I am all the time ?)

We've had a good run, but this league is tough and extremely un-predictable.

I'm a long way from getting giddy just yet.

And FWIW I don't buy into the RFL hate us conspiracy nonsense.  

By Op do you mean original post? hey didn't say how far they thought Fev can go but just asked a question.. 

1 hour ago, MADREDNIGE said:

And nearly our ground (but it was more likely Ram's ground) but hey ho they are sticking with that dump! 

I am a realist and to describe belle vue as a dump is quite flattering. I also find it incredible that Carter who so far has done a good job, was prepared to pay over the odds for a place not fit for purpose. I am even more confused that he has put the club into debt it cant service on the 'word's of a developer who has shown that he will never pay a penny.

It was the fev fans that brought the wakey ground into this thread and that is the reason for my response.

However back to original question, I am a realist and fev supporters should be the same. You are a village club and will never get into sl, so get used to it.  So if you are lucky you will always remain one of the best clubs in the second tier. 

3 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

However back to original question, I am a realist and fev supporters should be the same. You are a village club and will never get into sl, so get used to it.  So if you are lucky you will always remain one of the best clubs in the second tier. 

Featherstone is a town.

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

3 minutes ago, Agbrigg said:

I am a realist and to describe belle vue as a dump is quite flattering. I also find it incredible that Carter who so far has done a good job, was prepared to pay over the odds for a place not fit for purpose. I am even more confused that he has put the club into debt it cant service on the 'word's of a developer who has shown that he will never pay a penny.

It was the fev fans that brought the wakey ground into this thread and that is the reason for my response.

a village club that has won all the games major honours and a village club that has to borrow there facilities to a club in a major metropolis as they have wasted 6 years relegation free time to build infrastructure. iF WE WIN THE GRAND FINAL WE WILL BE PROMOTED VILLAGE OR NOT THERE IS NOTHING IN ANY RULES TO STOP US

They are certainly playing well and have a very good squad. The dual reg is working well as we are covering a couple of positions with the same players each week who are unlikely to be called back to Leeds, making them more like full loan signings. 

Injuries permitting, I'm cautiously optimistic that we could get to the final where anything can happen. I have a feeling Toulouse will implode a little as we get to the business end but Leigh will be up there. I would guess that it will be either Leigh or Fev v Toronto in the final but I think Toronto will do it this time. McDermott is kind of the anti-Rowley in terms of getting teams up for play-offs so I'd expect him to have them ready even though I don't think they are so much better than the chasing pack.

Key for Featherstone finishing second is keeping Tom Holmes on loan and avoiding injuries to Holmes, Chisholm and King. If they do that then I would back us to finish second if we can beat Toulouse and Leigh at home. 

Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

3736-mipm.gif

MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "

Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

7 minutes ago, gingdong said:

. iF WE WIN THE GRAND FINAL WE WILL BE PROMOTED VILLAGE OR NOT THERE IS NOTHING IN ANY RULES TO STOP US

I wouldn't be so sure mate.

When Elstone announced that a club would be promoted this season, he was interrupted by Lenaghan (or was it McManus?) who said 'If they fulfil the conditions...'

Now, of course, he didn't say what those conditions were, and so far as I am aware he hasn't since. I'm guessing that those conditions will be made up when we know who comes bottom of SL and who wins the Championship Grand Final.

Not that I'm being cynical, of course...

1 minute ago, paulwalker71 said:

When Elstone announced that a club would be promoted this season, he was interrupted by Lenaghan (or was it McManus?) who said 'If they fulfil the conditions...'

Now, of course, he didn't say what those conditions were, and so far as I am aware he hasn't since. I'm guessing that those conditions will be made up when we know who comes bottom of SL and who wins the Championship Grand Final.

fev will meet any criteria they want to put out,

2 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

If Featherstone did win it, and it is a big if, as Leigh are looking very strong and there are tough games ahead, how bad would it be if Lenaghan and Co refused them entry, with their unknown criteria and conditions tripe. For me they would send out a very bad message doing untold damage to the game as a whole. 

1 minute ago, Gooleboy said:

If Featherstone did win it, and it is a big if, as Leigh are looking very strong and there are tough games ahead, how bad would it be if Lenaghan and Co refused them entry, with their unknown criteria and conditions tripe. For me they would send out a very bad message doing untold damage to the game as a whole. 

damn right , especially when London were allowed in last year

18 minutes ago, gingdong said:

fev will meet any criteria they want to put out,

Clearly that's total nonsense

For example if you win the Championship GF, and Leeds come bottom, there are myriad 'conditions' that they could dream up to exclude you. They could say, as an example, that you have to have a ground capacity of 20,000 with at least 8000 seats (or whatever number Leeds have), or that you must have a Category 1 Academy, or that you have to have a turnover of more than £8 million (or whatever Leeds have) per year...or any number of other things...

Don't expect those 'conditions' to emerge until the situation is clarified though ? 

17 minutes ago, Gooleboy said:

I didn't say I agreed with it

I'm just what I think would happen.

19 minutes ago, paulwalker71 said:

Clearly that's total nonsense

For example if you win the Championship GF, and Leeds come bottom, there are myriad 'conditions' that they could dream up to exclude you. They could say, as an example, that you have to have a ground capacity of 20,000 with at least 8000 seats (or whatever number Leeds have), or that you must have a Category 1 Academy, or that you have to have a turnover of more than £8 million (or whatever Leeds have) per year...or any number of other things...

Don't expect those 'conditions' to emerge until the situation is clarified though ? 

so that's c%s capacity 11 775  and wakefield capacity 9333 along side FEV capacity 9850  in the championship

Archived